Wednesday, April 19, 2006

April 19, 2006 - Wednesday

SKEETERVILLE GAZETTE

04/18/06 WEDNESDAY
EARLY EDITION
---------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by Grafton Casket
Manufacturing Company. The areas authorized dealer for Aluma Craft
Boats. Come in and make your selection, before it's to late.
( March, 1948 Walsh County Record)
----------------------
The current temperature is 57 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was N/A
Normal H/L temp for this date is N/A
Tuesday was a bit cooler but no frost bite, and, no skeeter bites. The
only bite all day was the price of gas going up another dime, that was a
"nip" in the butt.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
The lights were on in Ekatta's, even the open sign was lit up
indicating there desire to have folks visit their place of business.
The electricians that were working and poking wires in, around, and out
of the former Penney's building a while back. Currently appear to be
doing the same thing in the former Hvidsten building on Griggs Avenue.
The large garage doors on the east and west sides of the building were
partially open and one good see "legs" scurrying around that portion of
the facility.
------------------------
A little field work has started in the area, with "little" being the
operative term. Both Harlan and Richard Thompson left Granny's early
Tuesday morning and were headed for the field. Richard left to watch
Chris plant Grain and Harlan to see the first small field of beets being
planted.
Jerry Raumin left a bit earlier than normal too. I'm guessing he was
heading out to watch everyone get started.
-------------------------
If someone is looking for a great place to live. Grafton just might be
the place you are looking for.
Our main street is busier know, than it's been in several years. We
have more places to eat, sleep and celebrate than any community between
Grand Forks and Winnipeg. Our community services are as good as any, and
better than most. Our people,... our people are top shelf, first class,
caring and sharing individuals unmatched anywhere.
We, are even learning, it's okay, to communicate our thoughts and
feelings with others. We are learning that it truly is easier to share,
when people care.
Yesterday I received a note from Denise that really made me feel
terrific. First because she was willing to tell the world something
wonderful about a member of "our" younger generation. As I read her
note, I was formulating a comment I wanted to share about the same
individual. Denise sent the following message. >>> Gary:
I'd like to recognize a young man who impressed me very much
yesterday. (Tuesday) Kody Stark brought a Red Wings hockey jersey into
my store sometime ago and asked me to add detail to it. He also asked if
he could buy our MN. Wild tickets for the Wild/Red Wing series. I said
he couldn't, because we don't sell them, but he could just have them. He
was surprised but gratefully accepted them. I reminded our son, who
lives in Maple Grove, to get the tickets to Kody's brother, Ryer. I
thought of Kody that weekend because Justin wasn't at the game and
couldn't give his dad a post-game report.
The significant part of this rambling story is what happened
yesterday. Kody came into my store with a delightful thank you note. He
had typed his sincere thanks on a page and added several copies of
pictures he had taken during the game. He also stayed and chatted for a
few moments and again expressed his thanks. It was a lovely gesture.
Because we are such avid hockey fans, we collect hockey memorabilia.
This thank you note will go into the mix.
Also, in your note today, someone mentioned the Chicago Showcase.
We were in Chicago with our son in 1995. While we were in Chicago, it
was on my husband's birthday or the day after, that the Oklahoma bombing
occurred. It's hard to enjoy watching kids play hockey when a tragedy
has occurred. It certainly reminds us to appreciate what we have.
I'm not usually so chatty.
Have a nice day.
Denise Sevigny <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Denise.
For those that don't know, Denise and Dennis Sevigny own and operate
Embroidery Plus in the 500 block of Main street in Grafton.
-------------------
I was especially pleased to read Denise's remarks about young Kody
Stark. Last summer Pat and I were eating at the West Side Drive Inn and
Kody brought out our order. We found him particularly efficient,
pleasant and his demeanor added much to our dinning out pleasure. His
honest display to serve and earn his salary was very apparent and a
trait others might well try to emulate.
We left feeling he not only had earned his tip, but also our loyalty,
to him and the organization he represented. A couple months later, as I
was having coffee in Granny's Kody and a friend came in and ordered
breakfast. I noticed how he and his friend talked and behaved like
perfect gentleman while waiting for their order. Then I remembered how
Kody had impressed us at the West Side Drive Inn. Then it dawned on me,
I had finally found a way to thank Kody, not so much from me. I didn't
think it was necessary for them to know it was from me. Rather I
thought, wouldn't it be great if "someone" would just buy them
breakfast, simply because Kody was and is, such a neat young man. Then
again, maybe there is something to that gene pool thing. I happen to
know most of the Stark and Mohagen families and Kody is extremely
representative.
------------------------
ANYWAY, I had no-more than finished my thoughts and feelings about Kody
and his family than I received the following message. >>> Hi Gary.
My name is Sandy (Stark) Wallner, Bismarck, North Dakota, (sister of
Roger and Steve, daughter of Gordie and Donna Stark) Sandy Stark has
been e-mailing the Gazette to me. Please add me to your e-mail list
so I can keep up to date on Grafton happenings!!!!!!!!
Thanks and have a wonderful day!
Sandy Wallner <<< Thank you for requesting the Gazette Sandy.
Please for give me if you find from time to time that I get a bit
emotional about the way your father collected money for the Salvation
Army. Or, for that matter, the myriad of things that diddle with the
middle of my memory bank.
The foundation of the Gazette is simply the exchange of thoughts,
feelings and ideas. I have said from the outset, If someone really wants
"the news", subscribe to the Walsh County Record and the Grand Forks
Herald. If your interested in Babble, and the exchange of it, your in
the right place. Or so it seems to me.
-----------------------
Speaking of Gordie Stark, the American Legion and the American Legion
Baseball program. It goes without saying Legion Clubs across the country
are struggling to survive. The Grafton organization, with the loss of
members like Gordie Stark is no exception. The Legion Baseball program
at one time was funded almost exclusively by Grafton Legionaires. Now,
with many of the real drivers of the club gone, and the club room as
well. It is necessary to sell tickets to raise enough money to "help"
the High school/Legion Baseball program continue.
To that end I am once again asking those that might feel "touched" by
the benefits the members of our armed forces have bestowed upon us. To
help them help our Legion baseball program continue.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. If you
know what I mean.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: