Wednesday, April 12, 2006

April 11, 2006 - Tuesday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

04/11/06 TUESDAY
LATE EDITION
---------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by the Salter Photo
Studio. I you want your colored pictures in black and white, Salters
could do it.
--------------------
The current temperature is 55 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 68/36
Normal H/L temp for this date is 51/29
The average low temperature only has to increase 2 degrees and
Shivercity will turn into the Skeeterville Gazette.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
Still no sign of Pizza in the Hut. They must have been serious when
they said it wouldn't open til the 28th.
---------------------
Happy Birthday John Tweten. I'm pretty sure, it was 54 years ago that
John received his first spanking..... I'm not sure how old he was when
that happened.
----------------------
Did I mention Granny's installed a brand new "open" sign in their front
window? It really works great to,....especially when they remember to
turn it on.
---------------------
I notice Reds Bar and Grill has an "open" sign too. Unfortunately, It's
a bugger to see it from the intersection of Hill and 17. When doing
business with someone requires extra effort, if the business doesn't do
it, business will get done somewhere else. Or so it seems to me.
----------------------
With Easter Sunday just around the corner. I suspect many ladies will
be shopping for new Easter outfits.
Check out The Squire Shop and Mary's Ladies Fashions in Grafton. If you
can't find a beautiful new Easter outfit in one of them,...your to darn
fussy. (I said that, not the folks from the Squire Shop or Mary's Ladies
Fashions.)
I'd be real surprised if you couldn't find a selection of super items
at "Stitches" or Embroidery Plus on Main Street in Grafton as well.
While your uptown, stop into Golden Harvest Jewelry. It's the neatest
little small town jewelry store you'll ever find,...and, in my opinion,
their all Wal-Mart competitive too.
------------------------
I sent out the Firefighters Calendar Draw winners after the Monday
night draw As I always do. This week I was pleased to see that three of
the winners bought their tickets thru the Gazette. Dianne (Molde)
Urbauer got the $250, Truman Thompson and Kermit Finstad both won $20.
Shortly after I sent out the winners list. I received the following
note from Kermit. >>> Hey, the system works!!!! Oh my gosh! My name
was drawn. Funny to
read it in print. BUT........please put it back in the pot! My Easter
Offering!!
It's been awhile since I've written....had planned to do so this week
and wish you a Joyous Spring Greeting! So HAPPY EASTER and may the daffs
bloom and the lilies blossom. We have had tons of daffodils, tulips and
forsythia blooming for a while. We've already had a taste of the 70s and
promised more like it this week. The flowering trees are showing up this
week. Washington, DC is almost past it's peak. Central Park in NYC is
just coming into its own and the joggers are out in droves. However,
on Friday last week, it was snowing. Go figure!! May 15th is the
deadline for planting any flowers and vegetables ....it's best to obey
that given. By the looks of the daily weather report in Grafton, it
looks like the long underwear may be shed by the weekend. Believe me,
Easter was a mighty special day when I grew up cuz it was, indeed, the
day we began to feel almost naked again!!!
Blessings all around.....even been talk of the Syttende Mai parade in
Brooklyn already! Uff da!
Ha det! Kermit <<<< Then, early the next morning. I received another
note from Kermit. It appears as though he not only stays up late at
night, he gets up early in the morning too. Anyway Kermit wrote: >>>
Broker Moe: I changed my mind about the big win.......how about YOU
designating it for a donation to a family or person that needs it right
now. With Easter hugs and Gratitude, Peter Cottontail
As the lyrics of composer John Bucchino states in his song "Grateful":
"Grateful, grateful, truly grateful I am…
Grateful, grateful, truly blessed and duly grateful." <<< Thanks a
million Kermit. I called Al Seiben (he writes the checks for the
firefighters) and asked him to send your check to me for your/my
signature. Your check, along with the one I received from a November
drawing will go to the folks at Thrivent Financial with one check for
Nessa's fund and the other for the "little" Ben & Maria fund.
I am extremely grateful Kermit, for your kindness and participation in
such a worthwhile cause.
+++++++++++
I am pleased to be able to share the following update on Ben. >>>
Ben Wharam Update 4-11-06
Family and Friends,
Just a quick note to let you all know that Ben is still doing well. Ben
will have his blood drawn and labs done today. At his last blood draw
(Friday 4-7-06) his red and white blood cell counts were low, but not
low enough to warrant a transfusion.
Ben seems to be eating a little less and sleeping a little more than
normal. But overall, he is doing pretty well. Julie and I are becoming
more comfortable with the "site care" and the shots we give to Ben
daily.
Finally, we would like to send a huge thank you for all the support we
have been shown. The only way to describe the outpouring of support is
overwhelming. To see all the people at the benefit in Grafton was so
neat. There are too many to thank individually, so thank you all. We
would not wish the challenges we face on anyone; however, we wish
everyone could experience the way we felt at the benefit. It was
fantastic.
Thank you,
Chris and Julie <<< Thank you Chris and Julie, for caring and sharing
your precious children with us. Please continue to keep us informed as
best your time will allow.
++++++++++++
I would also like to extend the same invitation to the Schrank family.
Nessa, Maria & "Little" Ben have taken up residence in the hearts and
minds of thousands. So too, their parents.
----------------------
I remember, during my days as a Boy Scout in the basement of the old
Catholic Church on Kittson and 7th street, thinking about Girl Scouts.
Back then it was reasonably innocent. Today the Girl Scouts is pretty
serious business, and, I find myself sharing the following note. >>>
Just a note to let everyone know that the Girl Scout Cookies have
arrived. The local Grafton Unit sold 232 cases (2784 boxes) this
year. If you still need some find your local girl scout and she'll be
happy to get some to you. <<< There now, even Father Garland would be
proud of me,... now.
------------------------
It saddens me to share the following message of a former Graftonite.
>>> Hi Gary: Just received word that Dee (Dolores Houska) Robinson
passed away Tuesday morning in Chandler, Az. Her sister Monica Groven
lives in Grafton so if anyone would like to send a memorial I am sure
she will be able to furnish an address to her family in Arizona.
Millie Sobolik <<< Thank you so much for caring and sharing Millie.
We would like to take this opportunity to extend our most sincere
sympathies to Dolores' entire family. Gary & Patti Moe
A short time ago I mentioned in the Gazette that Dolores was listed
with Lyndus Lundberg as co-valedictorians of the 1948 graduating class
of Grafton High School. It is also my understanding that Dolores has
been suffering for some time from the ravages of Parkinsons.
If appropriate, I would be willing to share any information regarding
Dolores with the Gazette family.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: