Monday, April 17, 2006

April 17, 2006 - Monday - First Edition of Skeeterville Gazette in 2006!

Subject: SKEETERVILLE GAZETTE

04/17/06 MONDAY
----------------------
Todays Gazette s being brought to you, in part, by R. W. (Bob) Levos.
Master mind of the "quality" payment system in the sugarbeet industry,
and, the first to initiate the moveable (walk like a duck) end-dump
concept for sugar beet pilers.
----------------------
The current temperature is 58 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 73/49
Normal H/L temp for this date is 55/32
The arrow on the neighbors weather vane is pointing southeast. That's
an almost certain sign it's gonna rain sometime.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
Yesterday, along with being Easter Sunday, one of the most significant
and wonderful religious celebrations in Christianity, it was also an
absolutely beautiful Red River Valley spring day.
-------------------
Pat and I, as we have for several years, enjoyed Easter dinner at
Marketplace on 8th. Again this year Suzie and her staff provided a
fabulous buffet.
As I was filling my plate with turkey, ham, meatballs and all the
trimmings, I was mindful of the real reason we would partake in the days
nourishment. Then, as I sat down at "our" table I was reminded how lucky
Pat and I have been over the years. We were blessed this day, to have
several family members with us.
I couldn't help thinking of the other special events we had attended in
the last while at Marketplace. Also super events, I should add, benefits
for Cindy, Nessa, Maria and "little" Ben to mention a few. I watched as
Suzie greeted people coming in. Even though we were there early, I was
pleased the see, many of the same folks that had attended several of the
recent benefits.
Our granddaughter Crystal (Jeff & Yvette's daughter) was part of
Suzie's staff Sunday, making it even easier for us to enjoy the day. I
always look forward to a "holiday hug" from Rosalie (Kasprick) Hagen,
(Suzie's mom) and this year, again, she didn't disappoint me.
Gosh I'm glad "our" little community has a place like Marketplace.
Thank you Suzie, and all your staff, for providing a place for such
wonderful memories.
----------------------
Today is the day we put "Shivercity" on the shelf and begin the
Skeeterville Gazette. It is the first day the average LOW temperature is
back up to 32 degrees. Hence, we will exchange the frost bite
publication for the skeeter bite edition. It is also getting to be very
close to the time of the year when the largest, "almost" daily
publication of babble between Grand Forks and Winnipeg becomes "if not,
or when not fishing".
-----------------------
Today is the 63rd time Bob Levos has celebrated his first spanking. I
was reminded again this morning, C. G. (Gary) Fischer (of the Cashel
Carl Fischer family) hired me to work in the Drayton Lab in 1965. I
transferred to the Ag repair shop under Jack O'Leary, then under Bob
Levos as Agriculturist, and Senior Agriculturist and it was Bob that
promoted me to Agricultural Manager.
I learned much from all of them. The one thing I remember most, from
Bob was when he told me. "Don't forget, when you drive into a farmers
yard, you will be talking with a person that has spent his whole life
growing things. It's almost a sure bet he knows more than you. If he
doesn't", Bob continued, "It's your job to make sure that he does."
Which reminds me of Former East Grand Forks Ag Manager Dick Kelly. He
once said, "If your talking more than your listening. Your wasting two
peoples time."
------------------------
Rumor has it Country Realty has sold another house in town. The Bill
LaPlante, formerly Norris Sando house has a new owner. I'm wondering, if
anyone knows, who lived in that house before the Sando's.
------------------------
I am pleased to welcome Rose and Howard Wendelbo to the Gazette family
tree. Rose and Howard live across the street from our grandchildren,
Jade, Tyler and Trevor and sometimes I wonder if the kids don't think
the Wendelbo's are their grandparents. I know the kids think the world
of the Wendelbo's, and I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual.
-------------------------
Almost a thousand baseball fans turned out at Chandler field to watch
the negro professional San Francisco Sea Lions defeat the Birmingham
Stars, another colored aggregation by a score of 5 to 4.
(Walsh County Record June 24, 1948)
--------------------------
Speaking of baseball, I still have tickets left for this years Legion
baseball calendar drawing. Please make checks payable to the Legion
baseball league put the check in an envelope and address it to me, Gary
Moe 764 Birch Court, Grafton ND 58237
then, drop me a quick note telling me your checks in the mail so I can
be sure and get your ticket in the drawing.
Tickets are "only" $20. There will be 23 drawing for $50 each and 4
drawing for $100 each.
Wally stopped by the other night and bought 5 tickets and as he so
often has, doesn't even want his name on them. Thanks a million Wally,
your contribution to Legion ball is greatly appreciated.
----------------------
( How bout if I say please, Keith?)
==================================
"GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH"
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: