Wednesday, February 06, 2008

February 6, 2008 - Wednesday

Early Edition
-----------------------
Todays Gazette is brought to you, in part, by the Merchants Hotel,
Located in the Heart of the Red River Valley.
"The Breadbasket of the World"
-----------------------
The current temperature is -13 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 25/5
Normal H/L temp for this date is 19/0
The high on this date in 1991 was 47.
Notice that the average low temperature is back up to "nothing".
==========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
Curves, one of Grafton's trimming to slim exercise centers geared to
help streamline ones body presentation is up and running. (No pun
intended) Located in the "stitches" side of the Kutz & O'Brien Plumbing
and Heating complex. (Formerly known as the Williamsons Milk Company)
The building Curves moved out of in the Western Plaza complex is
looking for a new tenant.
+++++
Rumors about the former Denny's Food Pride Grocery store are starting
to take on a much more "possible" tone every day. It certainly would be
great to have that building occupied once again. And, I might add,
occupied with a business that many folks will be willing to come to town
to shop in.
-------------------------
I received a nice note from Mert yesterday and she ended it with the
following. >>> Had a friend that passed away Thanksgiving and she always
ended her emails with "THE JOY OF LIFE IS LIVING IT" Thought
you might enjoy the quote. Love, Mert <<<
Thanks a million for the note and the quote. Your friend was wise
beyond her words.
-------------------------
It's always fun hearing about the many different directions the Gazette
goes. It is even more fun to hear that "someone" actually reads it. To
that end I am pleased to share the following note from Nancy Ganyo. >>>
Gary, I share the Gazette with my children as they enjoy keeping up with
the happenings in Grafton. After sending the Gazette out this morning I
received this message from my daughter (she lives in Northern New
Mexico). She also said I could share this with you and your readers....
More people than you know are enjoying your daily newsletter. Keep up
the good work! Nancy
Jackie wrote:
Had to laugh as I read Gary's little bit about winter-like weather....
We have been privy to more than our fair share of winter-like weather
over the last 2 weeks. The county of Rio Arriba, NM has currently been
declared a disaster area! A bit funny from my perspective as I can still
see over the snow banks.. Unlike when I was growing up in ND. The
difference I guess is that we have received 4-5 feet of snow over the
last 2 weeks and had NONE prior to that time.
Our rural communities are feeling the pain in several ways... furnaces
are failing because snow is overtaking the roof vents, our cell service
has failed and not been repaired because the mountainous terrain & snow
combo is too treacherous for the regular snow mobile (this is when you
invest in an Arctic Cat!), school has been cancelled 4 out of the last
10 school days (40% for those math nerds out there), delayed 3 more,
etc..etc..etc... Also could've used Gary's snowblower...even if the
handwarmers didn't work.
Moral of this story.... I feel at HOME! However miss you all terribly.
Just not quite the same to contend with snow storms and blizzards
without you!
Jackie <<< Thanks a million "Ladies", for caring and sharing. (P.S.) I
did use the snowblower, a little bit today, and, the hand warmers worked
wonderfully. However, if I am to be perfectly honest, I must admit that
Mr. Toews - our neighbor two doors down - came over and blew away most
of our snowcat dust from my sidewalks and driveway.
I have often said how wonderful I think the folks in the Mennonite
community are. Mr. Toews gives me reason again today, to say it once
more.
----------------------------
Something I received awhile back suggested that Ohio doesn't have any
natural lake. Since I couldn't even pass the 1895 8th grade test, it
didn't surprise me that I didn't know if that statement was correct or
not. Today I received the following information from Bill Shininger, one
of "our" Ohio Fox Hunter friends.
Bill wrote. >>> Gary,
In response to the question about whether there are
any natural lakes in Ohio, I did a little work in my library. I found
that according to a 1991 report from the Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources
Division of Water there are 110 natural lakes in Ohio five acres or
larger, covering a surface area of 4658 acres. These lakes occur in 21
of Ohio's 88 counties. Most of the lakes are in the area south of
Cleveland.
Most all of these lakes have been altered in some way by
man. Many of the man made lakes were created in the early 1800's to
feed water to the canal systems between Lake Erie and the Ohio River.
Others were a result of the Flood Control Act from the early
1900's.
Keep up the great work, love the daily trivia.
Regards,
William Shininger <<< Thanks a million Bill, for caring and sharing.
However, If you're using the same kind of library for your research as I
do. Be careful,... because in the end, it is possible to exchange one
cramp,.... for another.
Or so it seems to me.
---------------------------
It has always been my understanding that when you mix a Maltese and a
Poodle, you should expect to end up with a Malti-poo. Certainly not a
registered Maltese, nor and certified Poodle.
========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
========================
My name is Gary Moe, and, I approve this message.... I don't always
understand it. However, I will always approve it.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: