Wednesday, February 27, 2008

February 27, 2008 - Wednesday

---------------------------
Todays Gazette is brought to you, in part, with a WONDERFUL MEMORY.
---------------------------
The current temperature is 21
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 27/5
Normal H/L temp for this date is 27/9
============================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
============================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
---------------------------
Another new rumor hit the street this morning. That being Wally's
Budget Liquors has new owners. I heard it from a guy,... that heard it
from a guy,... "that really should know".
---------------------------
I must admit I didn't actually see the following article in the Herald
myself. Although I have received several notes with it and because it
hits both ventricles of my heart, I am going to share it and hope
someone will recognize the author and offer him a complete brain
transplant.
===== Who cares if they won by cheating? They're from GRAFTON. They came
from nowhere, and they'll be going nowhere after HS. Enjoy your moment,
guys. We'll see you in a few years on the beet farm. Tim A
Grand Forks, ND =====
>>>> I live in Grafton and have worked in and around beet fields, beet
farms and the beet industry in general for the majority of my life.
While doing so, I can say, with unequivocal certainty, I have never met
anyone that displayed the utter dramatic preponderance of ignorance Mr.
A did in his note. Congratulations Mr. A
------------------------------
-
My good friend Dr. Bob Harris (Roseau) has spent a lifetime around
hockey. Along with his heartfelt congratulations, he wrote the
following.
>>> Dear Gary
I read with great interest your comments on the recent state hockey
tournament. You are right on. I played and officiated for many
years and here's a tongue-in-cheek for you. I always told my new
partners that our goal was to call a game so well that we got a standing
ovation from the crowd and they didn't even know who won the game.
But I know how it really is after calling hundreds of games at all
levels including both state tourneys. There will always be criticisms
of the officials from the stands -- but it is extremely rare when the
scoreboard doesn't correctly identify the winner. Some of my most
memorable challenges were the games we called in Grafton between the
"Spoilers" and the city teams from the south. I read enough about
Grafton now so as to almost feel like an adopted ex-resident. Thanks
for the news.
Dr Bob <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Bob.
----------------------------
My mail box is plump full of frustrations about the negative comments
of the hockey tournament. I am very pleased to share the following
message from the desk of Grafton's honorable Mayor, Todd Burianek. He
wrote: >>>
Gary
If it's worth anything, here's my take on the Championship Game.
We won the game. We are the Champions. We are the best team in North
Dakota.
End of story, though I'd note that at times we controlled the play so
well I could have sworn we had six guys on the ice!!!!
I also want you (and your readers) to know that this State Championship
team was not only a champion on the ice but off as well. They, along
with the Grafton Boys Basketball Team and the Grafton Girls Basketball
Team are Scholar Athletes a designation they achieved by maintaining a
Team GPA of 3.2 or better.
As we celebrate that victory on the ice let's also celebrate their
excellence in the classroom.
Thanks boys for making the people of Grafton, Park River, Drayton, Minto
and all parts in between very proud of you.
Todd Burianek <<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Todd. It is
refreshing to see that significant athletic and scholastic abilities can
go hand in hand, and, even more refreshing when we standup in unison and
congratulate our students achievements in front the the whole world.
Or so it seems to me.
-----------------------------
MEMORIES, are often those simple little things that give reason, and
value to life.
I remember the first time I ever heard the term, "dressed to the 9's".
I can even remember the place and the circumstances upon which I heard
it.
I was in the garage of the flower shop, polishing the 51 Ford Woody,
when Margaret Knutson came back and said, "That women always dresses so
beautiful." Of course she was speaking of the lady in the flower shop. A
few minutes later, dad come in the back room and Margaret said the same
thing, once again, to dad.
Then, as effortlessly as I have ever heard dad speak, he said. "Why,
for God's sake Margaret, that was Ann Egeland. She is always 'dressed to
the 9's".
Having known Ann for most of my life. One thing is certain. Ann may
well have always "dressed to the 9's, but she always was, and always
will be, a 10,.... in my book.
Pat and I, and our entire family wish to extent our most sincere
sympathies to the family of Anna C. Egeland. Her dash was long and
meaningful.
I am pleased her dash includes a part of me and my family.
It saddens me to share Anns obituary.
~~~ Anna Egeland
Anna C. Egeland, age 93 of Grafton passed away on Tuesday, February 26,
2008 at the Unity Medical Center of Grafton. Anna C. Otto was born June
29, 1914 in Crystal ND the daughter of the late Carl W. and Philippine
(Reil) Otto. She grew up and attended school in Hoople, ND. She received
her Registered Nurse Degree from the Deaconess Hospital in Grafton, ND
in 1935. Anna worked at San Haven in Dunseith, ND prior to her
marriage to Iver Egeland on May 10, 1936 in Crookston, MN. The couple
made their home in Grafton where Ann worked as the Director of Nurses at
the Deaconess Hospital. She also worked at the Grafton Clinic and later
worked at the Unity Hospital in Grafton. In the later years she was the
Director of Volunteers at Unity Hospital.
Anna was a member of the Grafton Lutheran Church, where she sang in the
church choir and active with the WELCA. She was a member of the Grafton
American Legion Auxiliary and the Unity Hospital Auxiliary.
She is survived by her daughters: Ina (Jerry) Raumin, Grafton, ND;
Sylvia "skippy" (John) Klava, White Bear Lake, MN; five
grandchildren: Nanci Raumin, Barbara Hills, Greg Raumin, Jon Klava and
Ann Gutteter, seven great grandchildren: Emily, Carly and Peter
Hills, Elizabeth & Britainey Gutteter, Samuel and Maxwell Raumin and
her sister Lila Miller of Vancouver, WA. She was preceded in death by
her parents, husband Iver on April 27, 1988, brothers John and Roy Otto
and sister Margaret Hoffman.
Funeral services will be Friday, February 29, 2008 at 10:30 A.M. at the
Grafton Lutheran Church, Grafton, ND. Visitation will be Thursday from
5-7 PM with a prayer service at 7:00 PM at the Tollefson Funeral Home of
Grafton. Friends may also call at the church on Friday for one hour
prior to the service. Interment will be at the Grafton Lutheran
Cemetery.
The Tollefson Funeral Home of Grafton is in charge of the arrangements.
========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
========================
Dare, to Care and Share.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: