Friday, February 01, 2008

February 1, 2008 - Friday

Early Edition

Todays Gazette is brought to you by Henry Williams Fantastic Public
Museum of Birds and Mammals located on the grounds of Heritage Village
in Grafton.
-----------------------
The current temperature is 3 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was -8/-25
Normal H/L temp for this date is 17/-2
Today is the first day,.... of the shortest month of the year.
===========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
===========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
In yesterdays Gazette I mentioned that Brian James (Van Bruggen) had
accepted the position of Sales Manager at our local radio station, KXPO.
Brian sent the following "update" to his promotion. >>>>
Gary... I wanted to drop you a note to let everyone know what's
happening with my career... As you said, I'm stepping down from being
the morning announcer to take the position of Sales Manager in Grafton.
I'm sure everyone knows it's not easy to make a change in their job,
especially when they've been doing what they love, for 20 years. However
in the past week the offer came up that allowed me to spend more time
with the "new" love in my life, that being my wife and kids. I'm not
saying that my love for my wife Stacey is new -- that's been growing
since I met her nearly 4 years ago. The thought of being able to spend
the evening hours with her made the decision much easier. A time
comes when you need to put family and others ahead of doing things for
yourself. That time's come for me, and it's something I don't regret.
When you spent as much time as I did living by yourself, you don't know
what you're missing until you have a loving wife and kids. No, turning
away from something that's been in my heart all my life wasn't easy. But
I know that I will not regret my choice... Getting up at 3:30 in the
morning is not easy, especially when it's cold like it is now...
I want to say thank you to everyone who's been a listener to KXPO and
I hope they'll continue supporting their hometown station as it
celebrates 50 years of broadcasting... There's a super on-air team here
at KXPO and it will continue in the future.... People will still hear my
voice as I'll be producing commercials, filling in once-in-a-while, and
doing a few other things.... As I said when I had a change at one of my
first jobs, "I'll talk to you sometime later, either on the air, or in
the air."
Thanks Gary for letting me share with all your readers...
Brian <<<< Thank you Brian, for allowing us a small glimpse of the
future and your world. I am pleased you will continue to be associated
with a news and entertainment media that works very hard at both, while
fostering the idea of "doing your shopping,... right here at home." An
idea I might add, that applies to everyone, in every town. If you live
in Park River, Drayton, Minto, St.Thomas or Cavalier. If you hear KXPO
Radio's announcer say. "Have you ever really considered what it cost you
to shop out of town?" It is my hope - and I believe the stations as well
- that everyone will truly do everything within reason, to "do you
shopping, right here at home."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Question of the day: What Grafton business used the advertising slogan,
"Snappy, Smiling Service"?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
= HAPPY BIRTHDAY ~ CHELSEA =
My good friend Mike Stauss cared enough to share the following message.
<<< Gary: Our daughter Chelsea turns 18 years old today!!
It seems like only yesterday she was 2 and just learning how to cruise
around the house!! She is also carrying a 4.0 at Grand Forks Central
High School. I think she gets that from her Mom!!
Happy Birthday Chelsea, We love you very much. Mom and Dad!! <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Mike. It doesn't seem that long
ago that Chelsea walked into my office holding onto her "daddy" who, at
the time was recovering from shoulder surgery. That Chelsea has grown
into a beautiful, intelligent, young lady. Doesn't surprise me in the
least. That she has "acquired" the intelligence of her mother is also a
"no-brainer" (pardon the pun).
However, I think you may be cutting you, and your "Early American
Heritage" short. Especially if you think Chelsea didn't get much of her
intelligence from you as well.
Happy Birthday Chelsea, from the bald headed guy that used to enjoy
working with your father.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wal-Mart is the largest company in the history of the World.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
====== WALLEYE FISH FRY ======
~~~ SATURDAY--FEB 2, 2008 ~~~
-- SERVING--5 PM UNTIL GONE --
TAKE OUT ORDERS, CALL 352-3280< ~ ADULTS $10 CHILD UNDER 10 $5 ~
Proceeds from the Walleye Fish Fry will go to help maintain
Heritage Village.
The only difference between eating the Walleye at Heritage Village
this Saturday and eating Walleye at the lake..... is the lake. Or so it
seems to me.
---------------------------
Lloyd sent the following information, which unfortunately, I don't have
enough information germain to the subject, to make an intelligent
response.
Lloyd wrote, >>> Subject: Some Facts
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/24/60minutes/main3749494.shtml
Uncomfortable as it is, I guess we have to look at the facts as they
present themselves. We have entered into a war that was not necessary,
regardless of how much we wish to support it with our ideas, and, in
doing so, we have placed our nation in an even more harmful position and
then we have exacerbated the problem by conducting the war in a most
unbelievably unreasonable way such that we now have no way out and we
cannot afford to stay in. We have been placed in the ultimate of
untenable positions. In contrast, the Viet Nam war, itself an
unreasonable conflict from which we had to extract ourselves, complete
with a reneging of our treaties with the people of Viet Nam, at least
had a final closing. The present administration now is trying to make
treaties with the the Iraqi leaders to bind us into decades of
involvement in the middle east. It smells of making the followers of
ones mistakes having to live with those mistakes. There is no honor.
Lloyd W. Hanson <<<< Thanks for caring and sharing Lloyd. You
definitely have planted a garden full of "food for thought".
==================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================
"Normally, It doesn't cost a penny to think. Unless, of course, the
thinking is being done in Washington."
Or so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: