Tuesday, May 29, 2007

May 29, 2007 - Tuesday - Grafton, ND

Bad politicians are elected by good citizens who do not vote.
------------------------
The current temperature is degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 85/47
Normal H/L temp for this date is 74/4
It was 96 degrees on this date in 1939.
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
Contractors have removed the blacktop from McHugh Avenue. Tuesday
morning they started removing the curb and gutter.
------------------------
I received a note from Rick, a good friend and fellow Rocky Point
Resort fisherman. It included a few quote I would like to share. The
first one; >>>> "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if
they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines
don't have thatproblem." -- Ronald Reagan**
Another quote I would like to share ......
"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God,
then we will be a
nation gone under."
also by.. Ronald Reagan**
One last thought for the day:
In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the
anti-Americansentiment and negativity, we should remember England's
Prime MinisterTony Blair's words during a recent interview. When
asked by one of hisParliament members why he believes so much in
America, he said:
"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look
at how many want
in....... And how many want out."
<<< I guess that, "almost", says it all.
-------------------------
I suspect Memorial Day was the inspiration for Bert to share the
following.
Bert wrote: >>> Subject: The worldwide fight against terrorists.
Every day my gut turns over for those guys willing to give up their
lives in the mid-east and around the worldfor the safety of humanity
and the American way of living. There is nothing I would like more than
to have them all home again buttheir necessaryjob is still far
from done.To keep my own mind straight, knowing the politics of
today,I often think of a placards I have on my wallwhere I see it
every day.

WAR IS AN UGLY THING, BUT NOT THE UGLIEST, THE DECAYED AND DEGRADED
STATE OF MORAL AND PATRIOTIC FEELING WHICH THINKS NOTHING IS WORTH
FIGHTING FOR IS FAR WORSE. A MAN WHO HAS NOTHING FOR WHICH HE IS
WILLING TO FIGHT FOR; NOTHING HE CARES FOR MORE THAN HIS OWN PERSONAL
SAFETY: IS A MISERABLE CREATURE WHO HAS NO CHANCE OF EVER BEING FREE,
UNLESS MADEAND KEPT SO BY THE EXCURSIONS OF BETTER MEN THAN
HIMSELF.(John Stuart Mills.)

To me Memorial day is not just another holiday, it is one of sadness
yeta day of hope. There is no better honor than to be known as an
American G.I.
Bert A. Overland. <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Bert.
------------------------
Wally's trek down the trenches (pardon the pun) in yesterdays Gazette,
gave Loren Lundberg reason to share the following. >>> Gary:
I'm sure that Wally's story has the beginnings of a
"No, I CAN'T believe that story!" because of the 'possibility' of a
private citizen digging and producing a private linkup with a municipal
sewer system!
It might be a fascinating part of "small town
itus" to determine the "when" of how our city fathers would no longer
accept this - (maybe it is the same time that "big brother" government
decided "Let me help.") and either doubled or tripled what it would
cost?
I love the Gazette - in spite of the "tourism
terror" syndrome that any mention of the "skeeter" menace might trigger.
Makes me think about Grafton and "graftonites"; and, pleasantly so, I
might add. Even caused me to ring up your big brother last night......
And along that line, anyone who tells you that
e-mails will replace - or are superior to - voice contact, is kidding no
one but themselves. Except that "voice" contact MAY have a more negative
context when it comes off as such.
Given that, Gazette subscribers are put on notice that I
will be in the environs of Grafton on the Wednesday of "Reunion" Week -
easy to spot, I'll be the one with the forty year old telephone book
saying "Okay, your Mom and Dad were 'who'?". (Thank God that I caught
the improper use of quotation marks in the PREVIOUS version of that
sentence - triggered by the warning signs of attack fighter planes at
both the Cora and Hazel airports - okay, so MAYBE Hazel's plane MIGHT
have been a bomber.... that weekend might STILL be the best memory test
you will ever get...). Best regards,
LL <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Loren. Even though My
Webster only has 1250 pages I would have bet it would have the word
"ITUS" in it somewhere. Unfortunately it doesn't, so,... I'm going with
the idea that "small town itus" is a good thing. Right?
------------------------
The next several editions of the Gazette will be written with invisible
ink. Of course my "in" basket will remain fully operational should
anyone decide to use it. I would be most appreciative.
If the good Lords willing, and my walleye combine still floats, I hope
to return with a real live fish story.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

Grafton, ND

No comments: