Saturday, May 12, 2007

May 12, 2007 - Saturday - Grafton, ND

Criticism is something you can avoid by saying nothing, doing nothing
and being nothing.
------------------------
The current temperature is 45 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was N/A
Normal H/L temp for this date is 69/42
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
I'm sure you'll notice the improvement to the roadsides and ditches as
you enter or leave Grafton. I certainly did and it looks wonderful. I
wondered who was responsible for improving the looks of the approaches
to town and received the answer in the following note. >>> Please don't
use my name....but wanted to give recognition to the Freshman Class and
our Mayor Todd Burianek.
Yesterday (Thursday), the freshman class of Grafton (along with some
teachers) spent the entire morning cleaning up the ditches around the
highways surrounding Grafton.
The kids actually had a great time, and, what impressed the kids was
that OUR MAYOR made a stop at each group of kids working and thanked
them for helping the community look good.
I think it's fantastic that our mayor took the time to acknowledge
these kids and teachers.... and what a great service our kids have done
to our community. <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing. I too
commend the students along with their instructors. The fact that the
Mayor took time from his busy schedule to show his appreciation to those
involved, also displays his desires to help make our little community as
good as it can be.
----------------------------
I am already on record (no pun intended) with my feelings about the
importance of the news media supporting and promoting "local" business.
I am pleased to share the following message in that regard from the
management of our "local" radio station. >>>
Hello Gary.
Thanks for your mention of our local Radio station KXPO in Grafton a
few weeks back. At KXPO we will continue to push everything local.
We are in the midst of changes at the station. My goal and my wife
Andrea's goal is to really bring a community spirit to the place, we
want area folks to shop local and realize how much the area has to
offer. KXPO is beginning to play the music our listeners want to
hear, we play classic country every saturday from 6-10AM for the
people who love that classic honky tonk. We are also keeping up with
the flashback Friday (60's and 70's) all day. I have had many requests
for 50's music for Friday as well, so we will be adding some of the
golden greats to the line up from now on. All the big FM's are the
same now with trashy music spewing from there towers 24 hours a day.
KXPO is here to offer an alternative to all that "junk." When I say junk
I mean it. Listen to some of the songs out right now and you'll
realize we are really taking a turn for the worse, in both lyrics and
beat.
We now offer the workday retreat from 11-noon on the weekdays.Put
us on at work and call 352-2322 and leave a request after the beep.
If you have an "oldie" on your mind no one else will play, we will find
it, and if we don't have it we'll get it. KXPO is your buddy, and I
want to thank everyone for listening and giving us so much support
lately. Please know, we will do everything in our power to give back
to the area we serve, with our programs and involvement with local
events. PS, during the workday retreat, we will be playing games and
giving you chances to win lunches and other goodies for you and your
co-workers from some of our fine area businesses.
Ryan Johnston (program director)
and, everything I said here comes from my lovely wife Andrea (station
manager) too at 1340 KXPO <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Ryan. As I mentioned before,
your "shop local" spots are certainly heartwarming. And, it should go
without saying, (in my opinion anyway) your suggestion to "shop local"
goes directly to every person, in every community. I firmly believe it
is best to shop at home, or, as close to home as possible. Or so it
seems to me.
-----------------------
Summerfest 2007, class reunions and the time to share the miracle of
memories is just around the corner.
Gary, the class of '65 is having a gathering to celebrate turning into
our 60's at the Grafton Country Club during the Grafton Fest Days -
Saturday at 4:00. My wife had a surprise 60 party for me and 60 friends
and family showed up. So blessed. Marty Riske turned sixty April 30, as
did Karen (Gilleshammer) Thiel on May 9th. We are not getting older -
not even looking older - at least not in our minds or in "our" mirrors.
Thanks for the Skeeterville - Hope to see you at the Grafton SummerFest
Days.
George Cox / Diane (Rudnik) Cox
Grand Forks <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing George. I am
expecting Grafton's 125 year celebration turns out to be the best
celebration ever.
-------------------------
Tom Hart submitted an interesting question. One I believe better suited
for the "older" citizens of Grafton. Maybe, Wally or Norman Russum could
give us the answer to Tom's question. I think Wally was here before
Grafton even had sidewalks, or darn close to it. Right Wally?
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
"If you don't tell me, I won't know. If I don't know, I can't tell
everyone else." That is also true for the Record, KXPO, and the Grand
Forks Herald.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

Grafton, ND

No comments: