Friday, May 11, 2007

May 11, 2007 - Friday - Grafton, ND

The only job where you can start at the top is digging a hole.
Then, no matter how hard you work, you still end up in the hole.
-----------------------
The current temperature is 58 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 67/47
Normal H/L temp for this date is 68/42
There's a 60% chance it won't rain today.
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
The folks at Country Smokehouse tell me they are positively amazed
at the turnout yesterday (Thursday) for their first day in operation.
Pat and I stopped by the Country Smokehouse this morning and the
first thing that came to mind as I entered the Meat Market, was the
feeling I had many years ago when I would walk into Gillespies. Of
course, due to present day rules and regulations. The old butcher block
and saw dust on the floor can't be used. However, with just a bit of
imagination I could 'almost' see Butch Gillespie Sr. standing at one end
of the meat counter, and Butch Jr. standing at the other.
No, The Country Smokehouse isn't Gillespie's Meat Market. Nothing
could ever replace the Gillespie's and their contributions to the
Grafton community. That certainly that isn't the intent of The Country
Smokehouse.
However, working as hard as they can, to be as good as they can,
and to provide products and service to the Grafton area that we can all
be proud of, is the basis upon which the Country Smokehouse business
originated.
Pat and I picked up a wonderful selection of assorted Country
Smokehouse meats for Pats mother this morning, then we went over to
Wallys and picked up several grocery items including things necessary
for her to bake my favorite cake.
I understand the Smokehouse received several orders yesterday by
phone, from folks as far away as 250 miles.
701-352-1122 is The Country Smokehouse number.
-------------------------
Ralph responded to yesterdays comments in the Gazette about
closing gas stations to "teach" the big boys a lesson. He wrote: >>> OK.
Gary, this is the one and only time you won't get charged for this, and
don't tell the Herald who pay me for my opinions. Actually, it is an
easy answer. Both you and Denise are correct in your comments. If you
continue to use the same amount of gas it won't make one bit of
difference to the big guys. It could cost our local people who, as you
say, don't make anymore money off the big price than the smaller price.
The only way to send those big guys a message is to drive less, and as a
nation we are not doing that. As I have been teaching my air base econ
class, it is supply and demand and the equilibrium price. Anything else,
including any thing a politician says, is bogus. If the politicians are
serious they will get serious about promoting alternative energies and
alternative mechanisms to get us around.
p.s. Who's retired? Speak for yourself. It's hard to farm
when it is hard to walk. I am just doing something different. Ralph
Kingsbury <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Ralph. I am
pleased you are able to find time to read The Gazette. If you think
walking is difficult, you should try eating soup with my right arm. Now
that I know you charge to answer questions. From now on I'll be telling
you how you feel, instead of asking you.
p.s. I had an attorney once that charged me for every question
mark I used in our written correspondence. The question, "How's your
wife and kids", cost me $25. The one asking, "is your wife really
pregnant again," only cost me &12.50 because, (as he saw it) I was
telling him something he didn't know,...... yet.
-----------------------
Gary:
Very interesting story about your 40 year old son from a
happy family with the memories of them growing up thru the years. Which
reminds me of the city of Grafton growing as i read an article on
Wal-Mart checking out Grafton. I just wanted to let you know that when
we get traveling thru the old territory that was my stomping grounds up
in northeast n. dak. we stop and shop at the local Pamida store as we
find and buy some better quality and priced items we can't get in the
big city of Fargo. So keep in mind Pamida is a great store to have as
well. Keep up the good work on the Skeeterville as i enjoy every day i
receive it to read it and think back on old memories
sincerely, Thomas Restemayer <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Tom. Of course we don't
want to forget about Pamida and Alco, and True Value, and Landowski's
etc, etc, etc. Communities cannot grow without the business community
growing. When the business community stops growing, so to does the
entire community.
Or so it seems to me.
-------------------------
Speaking of new businesses or at least improved business in
Grafton. I received the following note. >>>
I have a little bit of news/rumor to pass on.I was upset
to hear that Subway is being sold and they are no longer building on the
corner of 17 and Hill.I understand they are going to stay at their
current location and remodel the building.I don't know the new owners
name but it is my understanding he is a Canadian that lives in Grand
Forks (if that makes sense). Please don't use my name. <<<
There you have it,.. a brand new rumor. It certainly would
have been nice to have a brand new Subway on the corner of Hill Ave and
Hiway 17. However, it will also be great to see them remodelled and stay
where they are. In my opinion, the present location allows them some
advantages the "new" spot wouldn't.
Or so it seems to me.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
The last time I checked, it seems I'm sending the
Gazette to a lot more folks than I'm hearing from.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

Grafton, ND

No comments: