Tuesday, May 15, 2007

May 15, 2007 - Tuesday - Grafton, ND

In the business world, an executive knows something about everything, a
technician knows everything about something, and the switchboard
operator knows everything.
------------------------
The current temperature is 48 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 82/49
Normal H/L temp for this date is 70/43
The official Gazette moisture meter has recorded .20 inches of
Aquarium fluid today. Thats a total of 2.60 inches since field work
began this spring.
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
Pat and I "dined" at the Westside Drive Inn last night. As usual, the
Wagon Master was fantast as was the Tater Gems, Mac salad and of course
a small glass of ice cold mild. I did take time out half way thru my
Wagon Master to ask Pat how her hamburger was. I think she said
wonderful although I don't always hear well when I'm eating. I know
sometimes she says very good, but this time I'm pretty sure she said
wonderful.
Gosh it's great having a Drive Inn restaurant in Grafton. I am
especially pleased that they serve super food too.
---------------------------
== GRAFTON'S HERITAGE VILLAGE ==
Subject: SUNDAY OPENINGS
Heritage Village plans to be open from 1-4pm beginning Sunday Memorial
Day weekend thru the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. Anyone wishing to tour
the buildings at that time may do so. Also, there will be Merry-Go-Round
rides for the kids. The charge for those rides will be $1.00. Please put
this in your Gazette.
Thanks
Verna Sherek
Heritage Village <<<
If it's been awhile since you've ridden on a real honest to goodness
Merry-Go-Round. One of a very few such vintage carousel's in the entire
country. If your coming to Grafton, stop out at the Heritage Village and
go for a ride. Better yet, take your children along, they will enjoy it
ever more than you.
Pack up your picnic basket and enjoy Grafton's beautiful Leistikow
Park. Then head over to Heritage Village, tour the fascinating displays
and take a nostalgic ride on the vintage Merry-Go-Round.
EVERY SUNDAY from 1 to 4 pm.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is
like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the
handle.
- Winston Churchill
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am amazed with the number of folks sending compliments the Country
Smokehouse, Graftons newest addition to the downtown business district.
I have received several variations of the following note. >>> Can you
tell us the hours of the County Smoke House. I, too, stopped there on
Friday and was very impressed. <<<
Country Smokehouse at 115 West 5th St. will be open
Monday-thru-Saturday 9 am to 6:30 pm and Sunday's from 10 to 3
--------------------------
I was pretty sure if Wally could get "the question" he would answer it.
And so he did, and so he did. >>> Hi Gary ..
Tom Hart was wondering about the paving on main street. Well I was in
second grade at the time, 1935. I have a picture of main street in 1935
full of cars and it was paved. It was all done by hand.
The big paving job was done in 1948 and 49. New water and
sewer and new storm sewers were installed.
I got out the bible on Grafton, The Centennial book, verse
"City improvements" pages 400 to 405. It's great reading, most of the
workers wore bib overalls and quite a few standing around, resting of
course. The big tractor loading was a 1948 Ford 8 N. Now days that's
a small tractor. I had 2 of them, lots of fun to drive. That small
tractor was loading the old cement pieces in a single axel truck.
When the new street was put in I was told by the city engineer at
the time it was hollow under the pavement from 5th street to 8th street.
Do your self a big favor and read about it in the Centennial
book. If you don't have one, go to the library.
I think the best part of reading your Gazette is learning
about the past. In those days all most people knew was work, work and
more work. But they enjoyed every day of it. They were a great society.
One last thought,... most people brought their car up town
about 4 P M on saturdays and parked them as there was no roomto park
on Saturday nite to visit. I worked for Chris Anholt at the time in the
Fairway store. Most people picked up their groceries after the second
show. They would leave the grocery list with us and we would do it up.
No one complained if we were out of any items. Great memories,
Wally <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Wally.
AND, thanks for telling me where to go. I've been told to go several
place over the years. You are the first one to tell me "to go to the
library." AND, of course, I am assuming you mean the Carnegie Library
and not the one I do most of my research in,.... Right Wally?
I might also add that if you look closely at the top picture on page
403 in the Centennial Book. You will notice Grafton Floral's neon sign
in front of the flower shop. Dad always thought it was a beautiful sign,
(and so did I) and, one of the few, on any business place of the time.
I, too, have a copy of the Centennial Book Wally mentioned.
Unfortunately, my copy is not in very good condition.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
Aren't memories wonderful? Don't you wish everyone would share them?


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

Grafton, ND

No comments: