Wednesday, May 16, 2007

May 16, 2007 - Wednesday - Grafton, ND

Remember the good old days when a husband would walk into the house and
ask, "What's cooking?" These days it's "What's thawing?"
-------------------------
The current temperature is 43 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 66/47
Normal H/L temp for this date is 70/43
It was 97 degrees on this date in 1987.
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
---------------------------
Gosh It's a beautiful time of the year. The grass is green, all of our
trees are busy putting on their summer foliage and the flowering trees
and shrubs are nothing short of spectacular.
As I drive through our community I take a tremendous amount of pride in
knowing that even today, many, if not most, of the trees and shrubs
growing vigorously in Grafton started out their life in "our" community
at Grafton Floral and Greenhouse. It pleases me to know that the black
walnut tree, still growing in front of Butch Gillespies former home on
McHugh and twenty three others came to the area in the back of dads 1941
Chevrolet sedan. I am also aware of several trees from that bunch still
growing in the St.Thomas area as well.
As I drive around the area, "our trees", trees and shrubs sold and
planted by Grafton Floral and Greenhouse are evident everywhere.
Literally thousands of them, planted by folks like Ed Ebertowski, Gerome
Dusek, Everett Nelson, Arnold Barclay, Rudy Lopez, Neil McDonald, Warren
Wilson, Milton Madson, Bill & Denton Offutt, Marnell Ringsak, Leroy
Stroh, Pat Devig (Dr.) and me to mention only a few.
As I drive around my wonderful little town I see thousands of
individual living things that began their life on the corner of Summit
Avenue and Tenth Street on the east side of Grafton. I'm proud of the
legacy my father started in this area over sixty years ago. I am humbled
having played a small part in that legacy, and, I am extremely proud of
the way my little brother A.K. is carrying on that legacy.
------------------------
Speaking of the early days of main street. Maryann sent the following.
>>> We moved onto Hill Avenue about 1936 and it was paved and had
sidewalks then and they did not look new=Maryann Blanchard Kennedy <<<>>> Hi Gary, I thought I might
add to the paving story. A large portion of the excess cement from the
48-49 improvements where dumped north of my garage on Cooper Ave. to
help hold the river bank. I believe Bob Barr had allot to do with that
decision, as the fill area went from his house on north Stephen Ave to
the other side of Cooper. Just thinking about Bob Barr brought back many
memories of the blacksmith shop and all the many hours I spent there as
a small child. He was a wonderful man and a great fire-chief.
Have a good day, John Maxwell Maybe some others have a favorite Bob
story. <<<>>> Hi Gary,
I purchased this post card on Ebay awhile ago. Date was estimated at
around 1910, and Main St. was paved then.
Hugs, JoAnn Wentz Beale <<<>overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wally sent the following without even being asked. He wrote. >>> Hi
Gary
Ione and I went to the Marketplace for a great dinner on Mothers Day.
There we met an old friend and his wife, namely Russell
LaFevre, from sunny California. Russells mother was not only a great
employee but a life long friend.
Russel said he keeps up with the happenings in Grafton through the
Gazette. He was very excited that he can get it on a daily basis in
California.
They went to church at the Grafton Lutheran church and after that,
because of the mention of the Country Smoke House in the Gazette, they
stopped to visit it. They were very impressed with it.
It is always so good to see former Graftonites. Grafton
really is home. My fondest hope is that many will be back for the
celebration in Grafton in June. In many cases it takes a lot of extra
effort and planning but it will be worth it. Have a great day
Wally <<<>====
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

Grafton, ND

No comments: