Wednesday, May 02, 2007

May 2, 2007 - Wednesday - Grafton, ND

If all the cars in the United States were placed end to end, somebody
would pull out and try to pass them.
-----------------------
The current temperature is 52 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 73/46
Normal H/K temp for this date is 63/38
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
Many local residents have been cleaning out their attics, basements
and storage sheds creating mountains of, once thought, valuable items in
alleys and on berms all around town. Most of the "valuables" from our
attic have "finally" ended up along the curb. I can't imagine how it all
got up there in the first place. It would have been a task even for the
likes of David Copperfield.
I must admit, some of the treasures, like a broken yard stick, a
baseball glove with one finger missing, a granada grill and, of all
things, the legs from the first display table Renee French built when he
completely remodelled the Grafton Floral flower shop so many years ago.
With a forecast of strong winds in the next few days, I sure hope all
those piles can get picked up before they reposition themselves all over
the county.
----------------------
I didn't get a chance to stop by Otto's Auto yesterday for their Grand
Opening. However, the few times I went by, there seemed to be a lot of
folks there visiting and checking out Otto's Auto's.
-----------------------
I did get a chance to stop by the Country Smokehouse Tuesday, to see
how things are going. I'll be the first to admit, I'm much more of a
consumer than a connoisseur.
Anyway, I took the liberty of asking a few questions, and, as best I
can remember, here's what I learned. --- If everything goes as planned,
the Country Smokehouse is hoping to open sometime next week. They will
begin making sausage by the end of this week. The Smokehouse will be
offering 25-30 varieties of fresh and smoked sausages. They will
have a good selection of seafood and a full line of Beef, Pork and
Chicken.
The Country Smokehouse will feature Certified Angus Beef a product they
are very excited about!
As I understand it, there are 40 different companies using the angus
name. Country Smokehouse will be #1 in quality and taste of all angus
beef. Certified Angus Beef is picked from the top 8% of all angus beef.
The chicken Country Smokehouse will be handling is called Smart Chicken.
Smart Chicken is 100% all natural - No added water and is raised without
antibiotics or hormones.
Smart Chicken is the highest degree of fresh chicken on the market. (I
must admit, until then I thought all chicken was educated in the same
place.) Anyway, the Country Smokehouse will also have a variety of
Quality Deli meats, Amish Cheese, Salads & Marinated meats.
Just what a short, fat, diabetic, Norwegian with no will power needs.
The Country Smokehouse, in my opinion, will certainly be another reason
for local and area folks to stop, and shop in Grafton.
Or so it seems to me.
------------------------
I'm surprised how many folks commented on Sandy's shopping experience
in yesterdays Gazette. Now that we heard from a smaller town (ours),
here's a note from a town an area much greater than ours. >>>> Good
morning Gary,
I have to comment on Sandy's well written, entertaining "diatribe".
I too have experienced the cloak of invisibility. Alas, it isn't
something common to small towns or your small town. It can happen
anywhere.
15 years ago I went car shopping in Orlando, FL. After doing my
homework I visited three different dealerships, two different car
makers. The first two places treated me like I was invisible. I even sat
in a car and no one approached me. One place did ask me enough questions
to determine I was a married woman and refused to deal with me further
unless my husband was with me, although the purchase was for my vehicle
and my decision.
The third dealership recognized me as a possible customer and
treated me with the attention and respect deserving to someone about to
spend$20K+. I not only bought my vehicle there in 1992 but in 1998
and again in 2006.
Small town or big city, businesses need to treat customerswith
attention and respect or the sale will go elsewhere.
Marjie <<<>>> Hi Gary,
I'm wondering if you would be so kind as to add us to your mailing
list. My friend Sharon Dupree used to forward it to me, but that just
kind of fell by the wayside, I guess.Not our friendship, the
forwarding. Ha!
We grew up in Grafton and have so many wonderful memories of
Grafton. I don't know if you remember any of us - my dad was Fred
Cuthbert and my mom is Dorothy Cuthbert. My dad was a dentist in
Grafton, his office being right behind Getz Drug, until he sold his
practice to Mike Erlandson and went to work as the dentist at the State
School. My mom was the administrative assistant(known as
"secretary" in those days)to the superintendent of the State
School.I am married to Jim Moe and we live in Devils Lake.Yup,
another Moe. I've been asked numerous times ifI'm related to the
Moes in Grafton!
I am including my brothers' email addresses, as I'm sure they would
find your gazetteentertaining and interesting,as well.
Sheryl (Cuthbert) Moe
Fred, John & Jim Cuthbert
Thank you, Gary, and I am looking forward to receiving the
Skeeterville Gazette!
Sheryl<<<>====
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Gary,

I've received an email this morning from Rep. Joyce Kingsbury regarding the possibility that Wal-Mart may come to Grafton. I had asked her to look into finding some specific statistics for our state regarding the number of Wal-Mart employees who find themselves forced to use state Medicaid because the company's health-care program is too expensive or inaccessible. Currently, twenty-three states have disclosed which companies have the most employees enrolled in their state-funded health care programs. In these states, Wal-Mart tops the list of companies who depend on publicly funded insurance.

Interesting. We'll see what Ms. Kingsbury can find out for us.

Thanks for all your news.