Thursday, March 29, 2007

March 29, 2007 - Thursday - Grafton, ND

The current temperature is 41 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 54/23
Normal H/L temp for this date is 41/23
The forecast for the rest of the week is favorable for the purchase of
a brand new bright red 4-wheeler.
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
There was some activity Wednesday afternoon in the former Johnson's
Used Car dealership. Someone there, was even seen standing on the top of
a pickup looking for something. Maybe they were looking for the 'top' of
Top Quality Motors, (pardon the pun) the parent company, I think, of
Otto's Auto.
-----------------------
A funny thing happened to me last night as I was writing the Gazette.
I'll start from the beginning.
A little more than a week ago I realized, (because Dr. Omotunde told
me) that I was no longer able to manage acceptable blood sugar levels
with oral medication. Hence, I would finally realized one of my greatest
lifetime fears, insulin injections. I'll admit that after a dozen or so
holes surrounded by black and blue spots. The process actually isn't
going all that bad.
Anyway, last night, as I was feeling a bit sorry for myself. I noticed
my message light was on with the following message from my good friend
Kathee Carlson.
She wrote: >>> Not every one can appreciate the following, but I
have a hunch that you can.
Every once in awhile, something I learned through my work at Grafton
Floral comes in handy. This week I was reminded of your dad as I was
trying to figure out how to wrap an artificial potted plant as a gift.
Your dad was an artist/engineer/efficiency expert when it came to taking
an Easter lily or a Christmas poinsettia and rolling it up for delivery
in florist paper, with newspaper for insulation if the weather so
dictated. He could do it one smooth move, sometimes using his ample
tummy to keep the plant on the counter.
Anyway, I took my gift wrapping paper and went through the motions as
best I could. The outcome was quite presentable though the gift paper
didn't drape like the florist paper. The cone shaped present is ready
for me to take to my college friend's birthday gathering this weekend.
I wonder if your dad was looking down and shaking his head, saying,
"That was OK, but I could never teach her to make good coffee."
Kathee <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Kathee. You message
sure brought light to a dim moment last night.
At first, I too thought of the thousands of plants dad must have
wrapped over the years. Then, as I sometimes do, when I think of dad, I
think of my mother too. I remembered the day I learned that only real
men cry. I have always believed it is a story I want my children to know
and understand. Then, I remembered I sent it out in a October 2003
Gazette. I would like to share my "only real men cry" story once again.
This time tho' I was reminded of it by a pleasant message. As you will
see, the last time I was reminded of it. The circumstances were not so
nice.
IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO CRY:
(originally written Oct. 15, 2003)
It's a statement that popped into my head Wednesday
morning. Maybe I should start from the beginning. Yesterday morning I
watched a full grown, well into retirement individual. Get up from his
chair, and walk over to a very good friend of his, and actually
physically, and, to a certain extent mentally, hurt him.
Why, I thought to myself, would anyone be so immature? How could a
supposedly intelligent individual, be so crude? What could give a person
the idea that hurting someone is funny? How come, I wondered. Then I got
to thinking, heck, I remember as a young boy several neighborhood
"bully's". Guys that at the time, I somehow thought were tough guys.
Tougher than me at least.
Then, as seems to happen more often now than not. I couldn't stop
thinking of bully's, tough guys, and people that seemed to enjoy pushing
other people around. And then it happened. I couldn't put a date on it
for certain. Other than the 1956 gray Ford pickup we bought from Dwight
Crousse was still almost new.
Mom was in the hospital, dad and I were standing in the hall
outside her room, and Dr Teevens told dad about moms lung cancer. I felt
a giant lump in my throat. Don't cry, I thought to myself, men don't
cry. Then Dr Teevens told dad, "Bill, the best advice I can give you is.
Get the best medical help possible, and, live the next six months as if
there's no tomorrow."
Don't cry, I told myself again, real men don't cry. Then as dad
went back into moms room, I saw, and heard, my dad cry, for the first
time in my life. I wasn't sure then although I know now. Mom already
knew she wouldn't see her boys grow up.
As dad bent down over moms bed to give her a kiss. He said, "I'm
sorry sweetheart, I didn't mean to cry". Mom reached out, grabbed my
hand and looked me straight in the eye, and said. "Always remember one
thing,.... both of you. It takes a REAL man to cry". Later, as we were
driving home. I asked dad what mom meant, by "real man". Dad said a real
man "cares and shares". A real man, dad said, is not afraid to display
his emotions. A real man wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone. As we
pulled up along side 946 Summit Ave. I asked dad what he was going to do
about mom. With giant tears running down his cheeks, he said,
"everything,...... everything,...... and God, I hope it's enough."
Isn't it amazing, how one event, can remind a person
of another.
Mom smoked Old Gold cigarettes. Gosh I wish she hadn't. <<<
Aren't memories wonderful, and, isn't great how they get even better
over time?
--------------------------
Hi Gary
I saw an apology from Erick at the Combined Wireless in the
Gazette, for poor service. I am sure some will wonder what that was for.
I ordered some items and when they came in his computer was down. So
I could not pay for them as he didn't know the cost. So he said to take
them and pay later.
Gary, it really struck me that we finally have an office supply
store again in Grafton. We don't have to drive 90 miles there and back,
to GrandForks and waste 3 hours going. The biggest item is that Erick
cares, and, he will do his best to help you in your needs. If everyone
in our community give him a chance, we will all win. I got an order this
morning which was fair sized, and, I saved money and time.
Wally DeSautel <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Wally. I too
am pleased we have a new office supply store in town. I continue to wish
Erick the very best in his new venture.
------------------------
I am pleased to welcome Karen Brown and Sarah Klava to the Gazette
family tree.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
If I don't hear about it, I can't write about it. And, neither can the
Walsh County Record. Or so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: