Friday, March 02, 2007

March 2, 2007 - Friday - Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette is brought to you from the foothills of our mountains of
snow.
-----------------------
The current temperature is 18 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 36/22
Normal H/L temp for this date is 28/11
Todays forecast calls for blizzard "like" conditions, followed by
winter "like" weather,... probably til spring.
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
"Smoking makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
Most schools in the area started closing by noon Thursday. Some even
announced, at the same time, they would not open Friday either.
By late afternoon yesterday, I think we had more tractors plowing snow
around town than there is working in fields during the summer.
A foot or more of snow covered most driveways and sidewalks in the area
yesterday. When I returned home from "solving the problems of the world"
at Granny's (coffee) I was surprised to see that Denny Schneider had
already been by our house and he had blown our drive and sidewalks
clean. Thanks a million Denny, we really appreciate it. I must also
thank the folks working with our city street department, for their
fantastic efforts in keeping our community streets open.
-----------------------
I don't believe I've ever seen a more beautiful display of icicles
hanging from a greater array of buildings as I have the past few days.
Some icicles stretch from the eves to the ground. I noticed one building
where the icicles are not only extremely long, but they have actually
been bent by the wind into the shape of the letter C. Maybe our local
photographers can get a few shots around town for the paper, and
posterity.
-------------------------
Rumor has it, another new business will be coming to town soon. Lord
knows, we can always use another new business in town.
-------------------------
Businesses come and go for a multitude of reasons. Often we try to
attribute their demise to one or two specific factors. When in
actuality, often, it is the culmination of numerous factors all working
together. That being said, there is without question, one major factor
that can hinder the success of a business more than any other. That
factor of course is simply, "the lack of business".
The loss to a community, of any business, is normally never beneficial.
Unfortunately, most folks do not believe they have anything at all to do
with a businesses demise. In reality, nothing could be further from the
trueth.
Every community, needs EVERY business it has if it has any hope to
remain in existence. If business is to continue to function, it will be
the people in the community that will control their destiny. "USE 'em OR
LOSE 'em."
------------------------
I received the following note in regard to the closing of the Dollar
Sense Store.
>>> Subject: GREED
Dear Gary,
Seeing my nephew, Mark Russell's name in today's Shivercity
Gazette, as being forced out of business by the BIG merchants in
Grafton, did NOT make my day. One word comes to mind in regards to the
Big Merchants is 'GREED' and I consider that a big sin. Do they
want Grafton to regress? If so, they are on the right track.
Grafton was always a great small town and I loved growing up
there. This latest business closing hurt me deeply. I visited them
at their Dollar Sense store two years ago, shortly after their opening,
and they were doing extremely well. Now the green-eyed, jealous
monsters have moved in to take over.
We really appreciate getting your newsletter, Gary. Keep up the
good work. You are one of the finest assets Grafton has.
Thanks for your time.
Sincerely Virginia G. Upham
Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
You may use my entire letter and sign my name, if you wish. <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Virginia. I copied your note
and I hand delivered it to Mark yesterday afternoon. Then, we (Pat and
I) spent a half an hour going thru the Dollar Sense store on main
street. I marvelled at the assortment of items the store has to offer.
Several times as I walked the isles, I asked myself, what would it take,
or, what could someone do to keep Graftons very first Dollar store
functioning in our community. I wondered what, or if, the Grafton
business community has done to encourage the Dollar Sense operation.
My guess is, it just might not be to late to stop the exodus of yet,
another reason to stop and shop in Grafton.
Or so it seems to me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TREVOR LYNN MOE
I should have sent this out yesterday, the day Trevor actually turned
two. For reasons, too many to fully explain, I didn't.
Trevor is our "Bakers Dozen" grandson. (for the non-bakers, that's
13th) Trevor was born at twenty minutes to midnight. And, I can assure
you, that wasn't the only night Trevor has kept us up late. He is a
energetic, happy, healthy, already smarter than his grandpa (Moe) young
boy that has brought the Moe gene pool much pleasure,... among other
things.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TREVOR LYNN
We love you very much.
Grandma and Grandpa Moe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today is a very special day, for a very special person. It is the day
my wife Pat will celebrate the anniversary of her birth. And, it will be
the forty sixth time, I have been fortunate enough to celebrate it with
her. Pat is the Architect of our gene pool, the root of our family
tree. She is our family's anchor, and of course she's always here for
me.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEETHEART
=== I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH ===
~~~~~~~~~~ Gary ~~~~~~~~~~~~
-----------------------
Today is also the day my sister Anne gets to blow out another candle.
She'll tell you her age isn't important, it's how you think and feel.
Although I'm guessing it won't be long blowing out all those candles
will be a great big deal.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNE
We love you very much
Pat and Gary
-------------------------
"FISH FRY" FUNDRAISER AT HERITAGE VILLAGE, FRIDAY MARCH 9, 2007
BEGINNING AT 5PM UNTIL GONE. TAKE OUT ORDERS WELCOME. CALL
352-3280 THE DAY OF THE EVENT. ADULTS $10.00. CHILDREN 10 AND UNDER
$7.00.
=== Tastes just like it's fresh caught ===
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================
"If you don't tell the world what you expect. Don't expect the world to
know what you want." Or so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: