Monday, March 26, 2007

March 26, 2007 - Monday - Grafton, ND

Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in memory of Dave Lott age 65
and Mabel Egeland age 90.
----------------------
The current temperature is 46 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 56/39
Normal H/L temp for this date is 40/22
It was so nice yesterday, some folks were wearing short sleeved
shirts,...... outside.
==============================
====
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
I attended Becca Mattson's Benefit at the Speedway facility in West
Fargo Friday evening. I also delivered the tributes and contributions
Gazette members sent to me for Becca's benefit. To say the event was
Absolutely fantastic, would be putting it mildly. If I've ever said that
small towns have the ability to gather together and participate when
someone is in need,.... and, I certainly have. After attending the "get
together" for Becca, I can tell you that big towns can do almost the
same thing. The, only, difference being they are bigger, and, a lot more
people attend, which in turn means they can, and do, end up with a
fabulous display of support to those in need.
I was pleased to see so many folks from the Grafton area were able to
attend. I had the opportunity to see and talk with many former Grafton
area residents. Most of all, I was pleased to be able to see, shake
hands and speak with Becca. She truely is a beautiful young lady. As I
held her hand I thanked her, for allowing me, and the Gazette family, to
be a small part of her very special day. She looked at me with a smile
that could melt the polar ice caps, squeezed my hand a bit and said,
"thank you so much for coming". Then as she looked around the hall, she
said, "Isn't it wonderful,.... what so many wonderful people are doing
for me?" Holding back a lump in my throat, I could only respond, "it
certainly is", although, I was thinking words like marvelous, and
phenomenal might better describe the event.
Becca still has a long road to complete recovery. I am confident she
will reach that destination. And, that Friday nights display of love and
support, will make her journey somewhat easier.
------------------------
Speaking of Becca, I received the following note from Marty Riske. He
wrote, >>> Subject: RE: Becca Mattson
Hi Gary......
Saw your mention of M.J. Capelli on the bottom of
Shivercity. We'd be happy to help. Please tell me her address so
we can send her a gift..........Marty <<< Thanks a million Marty, I was
pretty sure you would want to participate. Mom used to say, "nothing
makes a lady, feel more like a lady, than a brand new hair-do."
-------------------------
Often I mention memories and how wonderful they are. Unfortunately,
however, memories aren't always happy and pleasing. Sometimes they
remind us of those who have left us behind. As time goes by, those
memories become even more special.
I received the following note from Agnes Friday and regretfully I
wasn't able to send it out until today. She wrote, >>> Good day
Gary....I know you will be gone tomorrow (Saturday) but I had to share
my pain...it would have been Our Dear Daughter RACHEL LYNN BEIER'S 36th
Birthday on Saturday (March 24th)... she is SADLY missed by
all....Thanks for letting me share...Agnes, John & Darrin Beier <<<
Thanks for caring and sharing Agnes.
-------------------------
Along with the normal signs of spring, Geese flying north, muddy roads,
ditches full of water, rivers rising, Westside Drive Inn getting ready
to open, etc, etc,. Today I experienced another "sign" of spring I've
never experienced before.
When I returned to my car after breakfast this morning at Granny's, and
as I was backing away. I noticed 'something' on the windshield of the
Cruiser. Upon closer inspection, I determined the 'something' special to
be what is left over after a feeding of grain and corn goes thru the
stomach of a Canadian Goose. (If you know what I mean.)
It could have been worse. I could have been looking up when the flock
flew over.
-------------------------
Speaking of what goes thru a goose on the flight Canada. Again
yesterday I had the good fortune to listen to Al Gore explain how he was
all for us poorer folks getting help from the federal government for our
heating bills when they past his proposed new global warming
environmental regulations. Mind you I doubt he will need to go to the
Court House and "beg" for heating stamps, like us poor folks will.
Of course, as always, he (Al Gore) assured us that he (Al Gore) is
Carbon Credit Neutral. And, of course, that is only because he's a
billionaire, and, he can afford to PAY for his Carbon Credits.
Then, a while later while in the Gazette library, I got to thinking.
No-body can convert boiled cabbage to methane gas faster, and, better
than I can. I wonder if that would qualify me for a commode load of
Carbon Credits?
------------------------
We've all done things, said things, or been caught in circumstances
that, sometimes, are beyond our control. Likewise, I'm sure, we have all
tried our best to rectify them. After all, life is 10 percent what
happens to you and 90 percent how you react to it. To that end Erick
sent the following note. >>>
Gary,
I was wondering if you could please add this to your next edition:
Couple things:
First I would like to apologize to Mr. Wally Desautel. Every time
he has come into my store and been generous enough to place an order,
I've been shorthanded and disorganized. Friday we received 3500
pieces of cellular accessories and I was shorthanded and extremely
disorganized. I had my 8 year old son (school was off for the day) in
the store and helping me sort through the accessories, as my other
workers were out tending to customers. I was updating our computer
systems to "Vista" and I was unable to perform some
functions. I just want to say I'm sorry to Mr. Desautel, and that
these times, of what appeared to be incompetence on my part, are not the
normal level of customer service I set for myself and our
organization. It bothered me when he left today. I felt like I had
done a poor job, so I needed to say something. I am sorry, and we
will continue to improve our ways.
Secondly. We have had an extremely good second month. I send
out Thanks to all of our Grafton and surrounding area supporters. I'm
positive the majority have been delighted with our prices, our free
delivery, and our customer service. It has been a great experience
providing these services to the community and getting to meet and get
reacquainted with the people in this area. Once again, many thanks to
the support from the local community and to the local business owners
who have come in to establish relationships.
Thank You
Erick Soltvedt
Spectrum Services
Alltel Authorized Agent <<<
There you have it Erick. Now not only you and Wally know your human, so
too, does several thousand other folks. This might be a great spot to
add one of my oft' used quotes. "To know what is right, and then not do
it. Is the worst form of cowardice."
Or so it seems to me.
------------------------------
It's not every day that I receive a note from the capital city of our
wonderful state. Yesterday was one of those days. I received the
following note. >>>
Greetings from Bismarck
Remi and Betty Beauchamp (Minto) were visiting us in Bismarck this
weekend and enjoyed the Gazette very much. They would like to be added
to your list. The Gazette gets passed around down here and we all
enjoy the news from home. Thanks. Gerry McGregor <<< Thanks a
million for caring and sharing Gerry. I am pleased to add Remi & Betty
to our Gazette family tree.
It also pleases me to welcome Annette Escobar-Skaro to our Gazette
family tree.
==================================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: