Tuesday, November 06, 2007

November 6, 2007 - Tuesday

---------------------
The natives of ancient India were excellent metallurgists.
---------------------
The current temperature is 29°.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 37/28
Normal H/L temp for this date is 41/23
We can only hope the forecast for the next five days is as inaccurate
is the 50 mph wind forecasted for yesterday.
==============
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==============
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
======= SMOKE & WEINERS =======
I must admit I was more than pleasantly surprised to open up the Grand
Forks Heralds Business section Monday and see the words, Smoke & Weiners
in bold print. Page one of that edition also featured a picture of our
daughter Kelly and her husband David as well as a even larger picture of
Mike Misialek hanging up a string of Country Smokehouse Sausage.
I was also pleased with the manner in which the article was written by
Grand Forks Herald staff writer Ryan Schuster. Of course I'm a bit
biased, that's for certain. However, I was able to feel the "interest in
the topic" in Ryan's story.
I am also pleased that the Grand Forks Herald has recently increased
it's interested in the Grafton Business community.
As I read Ryan's article I struggled to keep my eyes from wandering
toward the picture of my oldest daughter and her husband. I found myself
having to start reading the article over again, because of it.
Several things in the article caught my attention. For example; the
small shop carries a wide variety of "specialty" meats and seafoods that
has made the store a popular place for locals. That they strive to greet
their customers by name. I also appreciated the comments from loyal
customers like Liz and Les Aasand saying, "They have such a great
selection of everything, it's always fresh, the price is right. It's a
small place you walk in and everything is there."
The comments from life long family friend Patti (Watkins) French hit me
especially close to home. She mentioned that shopping at Graftons
Country Smokehouse reminds her of her father, who was a meat cutter and
he also smoked his own meat. Patti also mentioned the shop reminds her
of Gillespies Meat Market. (A well known butcher shop in Grafton for
many many years.)
I too, have caught myself walking into Country Smokehouse reminiscing
about the Gillespie's, and, somehow knowing that they, both Butch Sr.
and Jr., would most certainly approve of The Country Smokehouse,
Grafton's newest meat shop. The article concludes on page 2 of the
business section along with a picture of Gary Hajicek trimming pork in
the back room.
I am amazed how many people have commented on the Smokehouse article
featured in the Herald. For example.
>>>> Good writeup in the Herald about the Smokehouse in todays paper.
I've stopped there quite a few times and have always been very satisfied
with both quality of product and service. <<<<
Notes like that are especially gratifying, not just because the
management of the Smokehouse is family, that's a given. But because the
Country Smokehouse is a fabulous little business operated by fantastic
individuals, located in the wonderful little community, I call home.
+++++++++++
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY NICK & DI
+++++++++++
I am surprised at how many folks think they know the name of the
Norwegian I eluded to in yesterdays Gazette. I'm even more surprised at
how many wondered if it was them.
==============
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
==============


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: