Friday, November 02, 2007

November 2, 2007 - Friday (early edition)

----------------------
The camel was one of the earliest animals to be domesticated.
Speaking of camel's. Desert juice hit $3.00 a gallon today in
Shivercity.
----------------------
The current temperature is 46 °.
==============
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==============
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
For all intent and purposes, the parking lot at St. John's Catholic
Church is finished,.... for this year anyway.
----------------------
If one takes the time to look, one will find there is always something
new happening in Grafton.
This morning for instance. As I drove past the former West View School
I was more than a little surprised to see there was a "realestate for
sale" sign planted in the grounds on the West side of the building. That
set me back a bit and then I noticed not far from that sign, was one
that read, "apartment for rent".
Either there is something going on there that no-one has heard about.
Or, the "little tykes" out trick or treat'n last night had some older
siblings doing some trick'n on their own.
-----------------------
The other day I mentioned that the Hagen Construction crew was taking
down the house built by W.W. Robertson. I referred to that home as
being one I associated as the Jack Bannerman home. For the purposes of
clarification. I was never actually aware who officially "owned" the
home. However, because I knew Jack lived there I called it "his home".
Much like we always called our kids bedrooms "theirs" even though in
reality they really didn't own "their" bed room at all.
Anyway, That being said. The mention of the wonderful old structure
gave two individuals reason to write.
First Kathee wrote: >>> I need some clarification here, Gary. Did the
old Bannerman/Lessard house go down by a force of nature or was it
demolished on purpose? Just wondering. Somehow that makes a difference
to me if it was loved to the end and its demise was mourned by its
present owners or if it had come to the end of its useful life and the
decision was made to let it go. Kind of like euthanizing a building.
We live in a farmhouse built in the late 1800s and sometimes wonder who
the next owners will be and what they will do to make it their own. I
realize that I will have no control over any of their decisions, but I
would hate to have it dismantled.
Kathee Carlson <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Kathee. Although I'm not
certain of the reason for it's demise. I believe it a reasonably good
assumption that the home the Robertsons built over 120 years ago simply
outlived it's usefulness. Suzanne sent the following
information that allows us to understand and appreciate that residence
even more. She wrote; >>>
Gary, I just have to comment on your comments regarding the
"Bannerman" house. Although it is true that Jack Bannerman lived in
that house for many years it was owned by my grandmother, Roseanna
Lessard Rheaume and after her death by my mother, Emelia Lessard
LaBerge. When mymother could no longer manage the propertyit
was sold to Roger Stark and subsequently to Ray Charlton, Jr.
Although I have heard of Ray's plans for the property I wouldn't pass it
along as it is only a rumour. My parents lived in that house before
they bought the house on Kittson in 1936 and my oldest sister and
brother lived there along withmy parents, of course. I do
remember Alice and Danny living there in the upstairs apartment I think,
and also Fred and Alvina Lessard (Maurice and Frederick's parents).
That's going back a ways but I am sure you will have some readers who
will remember and are related to them. There was a gentleman who
lived in the downstairs apartment for many years called Mr. Major. I
never knew his first name.
Suzanne (LaBerge) Burns <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Suzanne. Unfortunately we
still haven't heard the future plans for that property but I'm going to
guess,.... garages for the apartments, maybe. Then again,..... maybe
not.
-----------------------
===== ATTENTION SWEDE'S =====
This note is directed primarily to the Swedish branch of the Gazette
family tree. Kristy wrote: >>>
Aloha Gary, I too enjoy your Gazette everyday and miss it in the
summer when you are away fishing! I have a question.I am wondering
if there is anyone on the address list who could do some swedish
translation for me.I am learning the craft of pewter embroidery
and have a book that explains the history and such of the craft. The
problem is that it is in swedish andI can't read it. There is one
page thatI would really like toread.... It is the history of the
thread. If there is anyone out there that could give me a hand,I
would really appreciate it!
Again, thanks forall you do!
Kristy Stenso <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Kristy. It
will be interesting to see if, in fact we have any "Swedes" out there
that can actually read..... Swedish. On the other hand, and It's just a
guess, I'll bet there is someone down at the big school to the south,
the one with all the Canadian hockey players, that could translate it.
++++
Speaking of hockey players, Diann sent the following note hoping
someone out there might help. She wrote: >>>
Hi Gary,I'm wondering if you and your readers can help me
and Donna Fisher out. I am hoping to get hold of some old video of
the group of kids that my son played hockey with in the Grafton youth
programs.My son David Bratlie, and Tammy Fisher,played from about
1978 or 1979 until about 1986. I know there was some video or movies
around though not every one owned a camcorder like they do now. He
played with Jason Aasand, John Gourde, Cyril Johnson, Randy Almen, John
Bradbury, Robinson, Matthern, Tammy Fisher, Scott Bosanco and many
others whose names escape me at the moment. His coaches were Brian
Peterson, Lester Langowski, Paul Callahan and others -- also whose
names escape me.Isn't getting old grand?
If there would be anyway to get my hands on some video, I would like to
take it too someone who could put it on DVD for me. Thought it would
be a nice gift of memories. Please put out the word through your
network and lets see what happens.
Thanks for your help. I really enjoy your writings and it is usually
the first thing I read when I look at my e-mail.
Diann Bratlie <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Diann. Gosh wouldn't it be
great if someone out there has video's of the vintage and subjects Diann
and Donna are looking for. If so please let us know.
================
GOTTA - GO - WORK - ON - MY - DASH
================
RUMOR -- The ability to share facts that may not totally conform to
reality.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: