Friday, December 17, 2004

December 17, 2004 - Friday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

12/17/04 FRIDAY grp. 3
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The current temperature under a cloudy sky is 18 degrees with a south
wind blowing 19 MPH.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 25/12
Last years H/L temperature was 17/0
Normal H/L temp for this date is 20/2
Every now and then, weather folks tell us we should prepare for
"another blast" of Canadian air. Does anyone know where, in the air,
they find the Canadian air label?
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff;
-------------------------------------
I've been told, when I mentioned the House fire this week, in the
former Joe Bernard residence that it spawned a memory or two.
Joe, as I understand it was a fairly accomplished painter. (the
building kind of painter) I understand he's left his mark on more than
one church in the area. Another individual mentioned how pretty Joe's
wife was, and, that she was more than a bit concerned about the fact
that Joe, "may" have caressed the open end of a bottle of "spirits" more
than she could tolerate.
I Was also told that the Bernards had a daughter named Geraldine.
According to that rumor, that's where Billy DeSautel learned to pursue
the fairer sex. That story continues, that "Nip" Lykken might even be
able to add substance to it.
Those that can remember when the Bernards lived in that house, might
also remember another painter, Fred Aas, that lived just north of the
Bernards. Then of course, the Robert (Bob) Barr house and some might
remember the last house on the north end of the side of the street. The
Berg residence. Aren't memories great?
==
Children may tear up a house, but they seldom break up a home. (Thanks
Dane)
==
The new West Side Liquor Livery is open. You'll find it just behind
the KUM & GO sign. I guess the gas is still Cenex, (Farmers Union) for
you older folks.
It looks to me like the place to go if you want to get gassed up, and,
liquored up for the holidays. I guess we should thank the Farmers Union
for joining forces with Cenex and Cenex for bringing in the KUM & GO,
who, in turn opened up another off sale libation facility to our area.
==================================
The World Junior Hockey Tournament is just around the corner. "We"
Grafton has been allow the honor, (and it is truly an honor) of hosting
one of the WJHT exhibition games, prior to the actual tournaments being
held in the two Engelstad arenas at Grand Forks and Thief River Falls.
The boys playing in the WJHT games are NOT professional "wanna-be's".
The are actual professional hockey player "gonna-be's".
I received the following note regarding Graftons participation in the
areas once in a lifetime WJHT opportunity.
Gary:
Just checking in to see if you could help the Grafton Park District
"spread the word" about purchasing tickets (in advance) for the upcoming
WJHT Exhibition Game featuring Belarus & Slovakia. Our guests will be
here next Wed. the 22nd, at approximately 4:00pm. The Centennial Center
doors will open at 6:00pm with the game starting at 7:00pm. People who
have already purchased tickets will be allowed to pass through in a
separate line (express) while those who buy tickets at the door risk
waiting in a line & not getting to the seat they want.
To host this event is a privilege as well as an awesome opportunity to
witness world level hockey action - a "MUST SEE" event for a reasonable
price....only $10/ticket and in the comfort of a hometown rink with
ample parking as well as excellent concessions & service. The excitement
is building.....
Thanks much for your help in circulating these thoughts, Gary - we
appreciate it!
Ann Poeschel West
Grafton Parks & Recreation

-Thanks a million Ann. I would expect every
"hockey person" in the area to purchase tickets for this event.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!
Two wonderful people will be celebrating 33 years (thirty three) years
of marriage tomorrow, Saturday December 18th.
I have been assured the person most involved will understand, and have
been asked to simply relay the following;
** I am so lucky to share my life with such a wonderful
man! With all my being, I Love You!!! Happy Anniversary**
--
The passing of Don Elznic brought the following message from Ralph
Kingsbury. Gary, I have something for you to ponder while in your
library. How come it is only the good ones who die early? First, Mr
Bradshaw, and now Don Elznic. Like you, I don't suppose I knew him well
enough to call him a friend, but he certainly was one of the nicest
acquaintance I had. You would go in the post office and it was always a
cheerful greeting, the same thing if you met him on the street, or at a
ball game. His kids and wife are just as wonderful. The daughter is
quiet and pretty, like her mother, and Adam is just a Don, Jr., and one
of the best actor's GHS has ever had.
I am not saying that everyone who lives to be older is not nice, but it
seems to me there are just too many like these two taken from us before
we are ready to let them go. Ralph Kingsbury<<<<
Thanks for caring and sharing Ralph. If someone would have told me,
when I was young, how much time I would be spending in he library. I
would hae told them, they were full,...of it.
==================================
Betty Lou (Brekke) Davis sent the following note regarding Don,
Hi Gary and Patty YES I did get your
newsletter THANKS.....I was saddened to hear about Don Elznic, he was
my mom's neighbor on the farm and he and his wife were so good to my
mom. It is so sad to loose someone, and, especially during the
holidays.
I used to visit and kid around with him when I would go to the post
office in Grafton,
BettyLou<<<<
Thanks for caring and sharing Betty Lou.
==================================
THAT'S ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!!
Dog gone, bugger, heck, shucks, gee wilikers, son-of-a-dirty-word.
Rats,...the Leistikow park was hit again last night. This time, a group
of "individuals" pushed the bull in Wally DeSautels Walt Disney
wonderland display down the dike. WHY? Why would anyone do such a
dastardly dead. Why would a group of "mothers children" want to destroy
such a terrific project. WHO, who, could possibly be so insecure. I have
every confidence in the world that someone, of responsibility, knows the
perpetrators of this event.
"Our" community must find ways to stave off such acts if "we" are to
continue to enjoy "our" Beautiful Leistikow Park.
I am in hopes that all of "our" areas news media will pickup on the
story, so that the vandals know they will be aprehended.
Wally has assured me he hasn't given up. That he will repair the damage
and will continue his plans for an even better display next year. Thank
you very much Wally. A lessor man would most certainly have thrown in
the towel.
Or, so it seems to me.
==================================
SADLY, I report the passing of Donald (Don) Brown, age 87. Don spent
his life farming and trucking in the Drayton area. Over the years I
worked on several projects with Don. I always found Don easy to work
with, almost to a fault. Both Don, and his son Keith, were istraental in
the dike building project around the Drayton factory in 1997.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
"I may not always like what you tell me,
I will, however, always appreciate it."
GLM


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: