Tuesday, December 07, 2004

December 7, 2004 - Tuesday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

12/07/04 TUESDAY grp. 3
The current temperature is 23 degrees with a light north breeze under a
partly cloudy sky.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 32/22
Last years H/L temperature was 28/16
Normal H/L temp for this date is 23/7
It's the seventh of December and weather forecasters are telling us we
can expect winter weather "like" conditions for the next seven days.
Would all those surprised with that forecast,...please stand up.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff
Local residence spent most of the day yesterday praticing their winter
time drivng skills. I narrowly escaped a dog gone, bugger heck, shucks
accident yesterday as I was driving down the "school road". It seems one
of the "schools" employees was in a extra big hurry to get off the
grounds and dad gum near smacked me right in the left door.
Fortunatly for me,..and him too I expect, I was able to drive halfway
down the ditch to miss him. Thank God,..and four wheel drive, for that
near miss.
==================================
Late yesterday afternoon I dumped $1.90 worth of gas in the snowblower
and headed out to blow the snowcat dust off the driveway and side walks.
I figure there was about 4 inches there when I started. I won't win a
prize for the best ballerina at the ball, and i's easier to follow the
blower in low than high now, but I didn't run out of gas before I
finished and that's,.. a good thing.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The following note from aunt Tootsy shares an opinion that seems to be
a growing one across the country. She wrote; >>> Hi Gary, I would like
to add my two cents about Wal-Mart a chain of stores that get 90 percent
of there products from China. I watched Front-line on P. B. S. two weeks
ago. One previous manager spoke about the way they will cut prices and
how they drove Rubbermaid out of business by imports and they are
working on Toys-R-Us. I understand some of the toy manufactures in the
USA are selling to Toys-R-Us much cheaper this Christmas, 35 different
toys to fight Wal-Mart. Hope It works. Another vote down with Wal-Mart.
Tootsy<<< Thanks for caring and sharing Tootsy.
-------------------------
The following note lends a differant prospective to "Sams" legacy. The
note; >>>>Gary, the Wal-Mart article was very interesting. I am sitting
on top the fence on this one. Why, because my better half works there,
and has for a number of years. She thinks Wal-Mart is a couple of steps
up on sliced bread. Why, after working a 6-7hr shift she thinks nothing
of coming home and loading the daughter and younger son up in the van an
heading right back to Wal-Mart to do some shopping, she could have done
while there previously. This happens quite often I might add. I don't
get upset any more because it doesn't do any good, and, I LOVE HER and
the kids to much to stay mad anyway. She, Kate, loves the place and all
it stands for. She's proud to work there, she enjoys her time there
visiting with all her or Wal-Mart customers, many who come back through
her line time and again looking for her. She has been nominated and
achieved awards for her service to Wal-Mart and if she needs time off
for her medical condition, or anything else, they go out of the way to
accomodate her. She can come back when feeling better and is welcomed
back by all. She also owns stock in Wal-Mart and is proud of that too.
She also gets a month off from Wal-Mart during HARVEST so her and the
children are together while I'm in my busiest time of the season. Well,
like I heard on Paul Harvey one time, I think it would be nice to be
buried under the concrete in front of Wal-Marts doors, that way I would
be visited at least a couple of times a day by members of my family each
and every day!! Cool huh?
I only go there to visit Kate and I can count on one hand how many
purchases I personally make there each year. I don't know if thats fair
or not but I don't see me changing anything to do with Wal-Mart in my
family in the near future! Hope this note finds you feeling well my
Friend, and have a nice LORDS day. Your friend, Mike S.<<< Thank you
very much Mike for caring and sharing. I wouldn't be a bit surprised,
that when the roll is called up yonder, there will be thousands of notes
just like yours there.
==================================
Too many people spend half their time wishing for things they could
have if they didn't spend half their time wishing.
==================================
Several days ago, maybe more, I wrote a bit about the Mrs. T. A.
Gagnon's cook book I received from Wally DeSautel. I have, and, will
again include "bits" from that book in the future.
Then, just the other day I mentioned the "Lunde" house taking it's well
deserved spot in "residence remembered".
I find it interesting to "revisit" thoughts of "our" communities early
homes, and, those that have been a part of our past. To that end I
found the following note, most interesting, and, again I must remind
"our" Gazette family, that notes, and the exchange of "opinions" is the
primary function of the Gazette.
I should congratulate Agnes for capturing two thoughts in the same
note. She wrote;
>>>>You are doing great with the memories of Grafton, and, the
surrouding area. Suzie told me of the Lunde house going down. At one
time, my folks owned it and sold it to Lunde's. I was wondering if
anyone would know where the T. A. Gagnon's lived in Grafton. The house
has been moved, but it was on main street. At one time was told that it
had been moved to the east side of town. The great grandson has been
trying to find it but hasn't as yet. Maybe your readers would know. Mrs.
Gagnon was the lady that wrote the cookbook that was reprinted for the
Grafton centennial, and she was, my mothers sister. Don't worry about me
not getting your gazette as Suzie sends it to me. I keep moving around
anyway, but I keep getting it thru her. You're getting snow right now,
and we're getting rain. It's cool and dreary right now, but at least we
don't have snow here in Mesa. You may put part of this letter in your
gazette if you wish. Have a good holiday. Agnes Bolek
Thanks a million Agnes. I am very pleased to share your thoughts with
"us". Perhaps a subscriber can even solve the Gagnon house question.
Arn't memories wonderful?
==================================
I understand there is a booming "new" business in Oregon. I don't know
much about it yet although I believe it goes by the name of Ray &
Charlie's Midnight Holly Supply. I'm not sure if it's a legal
corporation, or, a "limited" partnership.
==================================
HAPPY BIRTHDAY Diana Conigliaro.
Today is the day to celebrate the anniversary of your birth. Of course
I won't mention the number of candles melting on your cake. Only that
the number reminds me of the year Chevrolet started putting oil pumps in
their motors.
We hope you have a wonderful birthday Diana, and we love you very much.
U&A Patti and Gary.
==================================
It was 45 years ago today that Brian Lunski received his "first"
spanking. Happy Birthday Brian. I really tried to come up with something
relative to 45, and the only thing I could think of is,...it's only half
way to ninety. Happy Birthday Brian, from the staff at the Gazette.
==================================
CAMPBELLS FRESH === is open, in Grand Forks. Roger Moe stopped in
there yesterday and reports the Burgers and the service,... is
fantastic.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
P.S.
"I may not always like what you tell me, I will, however, always
appreciate it." Gary


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: