Monday, December 06, 2004

December 6, 2004 - Monday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

12/06/04 MONDAY grp. 3
The current temperature is 27 degrees with calm winds and light snow.
The present forecast says, we should expect to blow about 1 inch of
snowcat dust off the driveway.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 17/9
Last years H/L temperature was 24/13
Normal H/L temp for this date is 24/7
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L new & stuff
Only 19 shopping days til Christmas. That's an interesting statement,
to say the least. It certainly sounds commercial to me. Certainly NOT
the reason for the season.
THE REASON FOR THE SEASON:
It is a "catchy phrase". One I have used myself on occasion. Under
normal circumstances, when I hear the phrase, I smile, nod, and
reminisce of days, and seasons past.
In most cases I hear, or read, the term from regular folks on the
street. Or, in articles relating to the time of year between
Thanksgiving and Christmas. Every once in a while though, I have heard
or read the phrase by people that I personally regard as 'a little
closer to heaven' than I.
Hence, my reason for this note on, "the reason for the season."
One time a long time ago. In the middle of a heated discussion, that
took place at Grafton Floral, between Father Garland and Wilfred
Collect. I remember Wilfred telling Father Garland, "You know Father,
that's easy for you to say, you have a 2,000 year old book to run your
business by." To which Father Garland replied, "you know Wilfred, that
same book applies to you Politicians as well as Priests." After
the discussion was over and the flower shop was quite. Dad looked at me
and with a funny sort of smile said, "son, there's two things in this
world you never want to argue about. One of them is Religion,...the
other is Politics."
This article is living proof I haven't "always" listen to dad.
ANYWAY. The reason for the season, (season being described as any of the
four
major 'seasons' of the year.) certainly means different things to
different people.
Some would like to relate Christmas, as a season. For instance,
today is Julie Watkins birthday. Hence, this could well be described as
"Julie Watkins" season. As far as Merchandisers are concerned, the
earlier they promote Julie's actual celebrated birth date, the greater
the opportunity to capitalize on "her" day. Hence, the reason for the
Julie Watkins season, is to make more money. Christians, celebrate
the birth of Christ on December 25th. That is in fact "The day".
Merchants have, over the years, commercialized the thought of
Christmas, (and,.. the thought of Christmas is a good thing) to begin
the day after Thanksgiving.
The Christmas season is one of the few, if not the only, season
every religious, and non religious, denomination participates in for
financial gain. Aided to a large extent by the Christian community
itself.
The Christian community itself, is one of several dozen, or even,
several hundred religious and non religious groups in the world. The
reason for Christmas is to celebrate the birth, and coming, of MY
PERSONAL SAVIOR.
The reason for the season, has been commandeered by the merchants
of the world for financial gain. Not the least of which have been
florists and greeting card companies.
ON THE OTHER HAND:
Think what the world would be like, if everyone, would buy a
present for everyone they know, every time someone they know has a
birthday. If that would happen. How long would "their" season be?
By way of recapitulation;
I think it is fair to say, every Merchant, Jew or Gentile, Sand
Rancher and Fan Dancer alike, rely to a significant degree on the days
before Christs Birth, regardless of the number, that has come to be
known as "The Holiday Season".
For me, all the reasons, or seasons, I can see, can't take away,
what Christ has given me.
He's brought me friends and family,
without them, what would I really be?
He's held my hand when I've felt sad,
and helped fix things that once seemed bad. He's been there when
I've felt lost,
and lit the way, and, shared the cost. I've learned a lot this
past few years, some I've learned, while shedding tears. The fact
remains, until it ends,
I'm thankful for Jesus Christ, my Family, and,... my
Friends.
P.S. Happy birthday Julie (Demester) Watkins. We love you very much.
A&U Patti and Gary
==================================
Not everything that is faced can be changed,
but nothing can be changed until it is faced. (Thanks Dane)
==================================
I have received a few "comments" about the article I sent out
regarding China's largest USA wholesale partner. I have written back and
asked some if I might share them and so far haven't gotten a response.
The following note from Tom Hart does in fact cover many of the comments
I've received so far. Although I must admit, I've had a couple requests
for the piece Marty Riske sent so I might hear from those folks later.
Tom wrote;
Gary:
Need to pay my dues.
There was a small shopping center 2 blocks away from my home. In the
shopping center was a hardware store where I could get items I needed to
maintain my home. Wal-Mart came in and replaced the shopping center.
Wal-Mart (Chinese Dime Store) is good stores to shop at, but if you need
something you will only find it 15% of the time.
Maybe if I shopped more at the hardware store it would still be
there.
Maybe the people in Grafton could take notes. They may go to the
store for an item to maintain there home and find the store gone.
I enjoy the Gazette, keep up the good work.
Tom Hart<<<< Thanks for caring and sharing Tom. I wonder what would
happen, if everyone that has gone on strike for higher wages, more time
off, more and better benefits, practised "their" ideals when they go out
to spend "their" money?
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
I may not always like what you tell me. I will, however, always
appreciate it. Gary


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: