Sunday, December 12, 2004

December 12, 2004 - Thursday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

12/02/04 THURSDAY grp. 3
The current temperature is nothing, nothing above and nothing below.
Zero for the folks into numbers.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 18/11
Last years H/L temperature was 27/7
Normal H/L temp for this date is 25/9
The one to two inches of snow we received last night grew to four
inches this morning.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff
There's something to be said about a bobcat cleaning the snow off
driveways at 4:00 am in the morning. There is definitely something to be
said. Unfortunately I can't print it in the Gazette.
==================================
They did it, it's a done deal, (almost).
The Grand Forks and East Grand Forks Chambers of Commerce will combine
into an organization 1,000 members strong. It appears as though some
were concerned that the larger Grand Forks contingent, would consume the
much smaller East Grand Forks contribution to the merge.
Fortunately, after hearing that the new offices will be located in East
Grand Forks, everyone was willing to forget about the clout the big
side, with it's University might have.
Personally, I think it's a super idea. I have no doubt, Mayor Brown has
already told the folks from East Grand Forks how fortunate they are to
have Grand Forks right across the river. He (Mayor Brown) drove forty
miles north to share that same story with us. I wouldn't place any
wagers, however, I'm gonna guess he hasn't been back since, to stay, or
spend any of his money here.
Of course I think the merge is a good idea. Consolidating services,
minimizing duplications, one entity speaking for both is the wave of the
future.
I can see it all now. A hunter from Ohio, calls the Grand Cities
Chamber office (located somewhere close to the bridge between the two
cities) and says. I will be coming through your "two cities" next week
and will be looking for a new gun. Where, in your opinion, would be a
good place for me to start looking?
With the total honesty and sincerity of a politician in a new election.
The Chamber representative might say something akin to. "Well sir, if
your coming in from the East, you might want to stop in at Cabella's and
check out their firearm inventory. On the other hand, if you are coming
in from the West, just stay on highway two til you cross the bridge,
hang a right and follow the signs to Cabella's. Of course the folks from
the north should turn left on 2 and conversely those from the south
should head for the bridge east of the interstate on highway 2.
Nope, I don't see a problem there at all. If I were to see any problem
with the merger what-so-ever, and I don't. The suggestion made by Jim
Dalglish that member dues "must drop" and that the building of a new
Chamber office shouldn't get in the way of that, could put a wrinkle in
someone's fruit-of-the-looms.
Then too, one should keep in mind Joanne Otto's revelation that,
outreach is important because, "you always find that it's the smaller
guys that are intimidated."
Boy,.. girl you can sure say that again.
==================================
It's called bite and release. I've been practicing it for several
years now. It eliminates the need for scales and rulers. It allows even
the most novice fisherperson the opportunity to "bring home" a
whopper,...in his imagination.
Now, however, according to an article in todays Grand Forks Herald
(page 5 B). The walleyes I have been "practicing" catching, might not be
walleye's at all. They could be zanders, yup, (that's Norwegian for it
ain't lutefisk either) it seems some unscrupulous kitchens are
practicing "bait and switch". Their menu says fresh walleye, but the DNA
test says it's zander.
Until I read the article I could have said, "I not only haven't eaten
zander, I've never even heard of it before. One thing I can say for
certain, if your looking for fantastic Lake of the Woods walleye, and
you practice bite and release as I do. Stop in at Arnesen's Rocky Point
Resort Lodge. Their walleye is out of this world, and, their all
caught,.. right in the lip.
==================================
ANOTHER STUDY:
LOW - FAT BEATS LOW - CARB
I sure like that idea.
==================================
If you haven't had the opportunity to go through Leistikow Park, in the
dark, It is worth the trip. Yesterday, someone put up a super giant
horse and wagon display. Four large horses pulling a wagon loaded with a
Christmas tree and a driver. It definitely required a lot of labor to
build and is a fantastic addition to the already wonderful displays in
the park.
==================================
NOW THEN:
Yesterday, Wednesday December, 1st was the anniversary of the birth of
Mike Stauss. I'm pretty sure the doctor that delivered Mike slapped his
butt at birth. If he didn't, he should have. As soon as Mike blows out
the candles from this years cake, he will qualify for the next edition
of the AARP magazine. It isn't that Mike is to old to keep working. The
question is, is he to old to start.
I had the pleasure of working with Mike while I was at the East Grand
Forks Factory. Mike was, and still is, the expert in charge of the EGF
sugarbeet Deep Freeze project. Deep Freeze folks are special people,
Lavern Hoeper can attest to that. Their temperamental, Katie can attest
to that. They can be a real pain in the ----budget, Dan Gowan can attest
to that.
Mike, and we can all attest to this, is a super Deep freeze man and
terrific individual, my friend,...and he was, one year older yesterday.
Gosh I'm sorry this is late Mike. My excuse is, I spent all day
yesterday trying to think of something nice to say about you. So here it
is.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE STAUSS,
I miss working with you, and, I wish I was there. Gary - GGP
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: