Monday, January 03, 2005

January 3, 2005 - Monday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

01/03/04 MONDAY grp. 3
------------------------
The present temperature is - 24 with the wind out of the NW at 8 MPH.
The sky is mostly clear and the "bareskin" temperature is - 44.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 6/-14
Last years H/L temperature was 18/6
Normal H/L temp for this date is 15/-4
The neighbors all plugged in their sled dogs last night.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff:
Giant piles of Polaris poop are starting to flourish all over
Shivercity. According to the Gazettes "official" weather reporter, we
have received a total of 11 inches of snow in the last two snow events.
==================================
The Ohio Fox Hunters arrived in town last evening. After "some"
discussion, they settled in at the AmericInn. It sure was wonderful
meeting them again this morning at Granny's. It is ironic, when I think
of it. Spending so much time writing about, and, thinking of seven
hunters from Ohio.
Earlier this fall, Pat and I spent the day in Devils Lake. While we
were there, we noticed literally hundreds of hunters and hunters
vehicles all over town. The motels were full, with duck boats,
4-wheelers, and four wheel drive pickups of every description with
license plates from a dozen or more states. The restaurants were full,
Wally's Supermarket had 9 hunters units in front of the bottle shop and
several more by the door to the grocery store. Pickups were lined up at
gas pumps, and, I noticed several in the Devils Lake Home of Economy
check out line with arm loads of things they were buying.
Of course I didn't talk to everyone, not even most. As a matter of
fact, I only spoke to a couple guys, from two different groups. I asked
them why they chose Devils Lake to come hunt ducks and geese. The first
guy said, "because there's lots of birds around here." Then the second
guy spoke up and said, "And, the folks around here seem to like us
coming."
I asked a fellow in another group if they expected to pay a "premium"
for their motel rooms because they're so busy. He said, "sometimes we
even get a better price than normal, that's why they are so busy." I
remember well telling Pat as we left the store. Wouldn't it be great if
we had a lake for fishing, and, duck and goose hunting like they have in
Devils Lake? THAT WAS THEN!!!
Now, I am glad we don't. At least due the the actions of one local
business place. I somehow have the feeling if that business place was in
Devils Lake, it would be asked to leave. Even though "we" had been
assured that the Ohio group would not be "fleeced" when they arrived, I
am sorry to say "they", the AmericInn, tried.
I guess there is two ways of looking at seven hunters coming to town.
They could well be the first seven of several dozen. Or, they could well
be, the first and last seven hunters "our" area will ever host.
I don't see the problem as simply seven visitors from another state
coming to spend time and money in "our" community. I see it as the way
we look at "everyone" that visits "our" community.
At any rate, "our" friends from the buckeye state are here. They've
eaten a big breakfast and are already out Foxhunting. I for one am
pleased they are here, and,.... hope "Our" local citizens will be
treated fairly, when they go out of state to fish, hunt, or simply have
a good time.
==================================
The following is a short note to the previous issue;>>> Me again. Just
thought I'd add my two cents(and that's all, no inflated price from me)
to today's comments about room rates.
While I will visit Grafton I ended up with a reasonable priced
room in Park River for my three nights stay in ND. A bit further out of
the way but my friend doesn't mind.
Marjie <<< Thanks for the note Marjie, your message adds
credibility to the issue.
==================================
A smile is a curved line that sets things straight. (thanks Dane)
==================================
I have always appreciated the work and efforts of "our" local GMU
(Grafton Municipal Utilities). They do a thankless task, often with
little or no appreciation.
I mentioned their efforts the other day and received the following
note:
Happy New Year from Alaska,
I read your article about the Grafton Street cleaning. I agree they do a
great job!!!
But, since I have been at my daughter/son-in-law's, they had a day with
snow. I noticed everyone out cleaning their driveways and the streets
were still full of snow (I realize they have many roads/streets to
clean). But when they did clean the residential streets, I noticed they
had a device that the cleaner set down to clean the driveways when he
passed. I was impressed. Just thought I would share what I saw! Weather
here is very nice. Enjoyed the fireworks at 9:00 PM here in Alaska and
it would have been midnight in Grafton. What a display!! They had ice
and snow sculptures, jugglers, entertainment and even had an ice skating
rink in the town square. A lot of people out skating. Enjoying my time
here!! Suzie Bolek Schrum<<<
Thanks for caring and sharing Suzie. The devise you speak of was tried
in Grafton in 1960. As a matter of fact, it was installed on the blade
Elmer Sondeland, and I for a few days, operated for the city. It was
purchased by then Street Commissioner Bob Schumacher.
As I remember, it really did work, except "we" (the city) only had one
motor patrol and using the device extended the time it took to clean our
city streets substantially.
I would encourage present city leaders to look into the present day
version of that device and give serious consideration to using one. I
suspect the main reason for not, would be cost and time, much as it was
in the past.
One benefit for certain would be. It would make Grafton a better place
to live.
Or, so it seems to me.
==================================
I heard a story the other day at Granny's about a young boy that
wanted to get a new bike. According to the story, the boys father agreed
to get him one. If he could sell the bike he already had. The fellow
that shared the story with me said. The young lad was standing on the
corner with a for sale sign on his bike, and, a tear in his eye. When
asked why he was crying, the little boy said, "my dad said I had to sell
this bike before I can get a new one." What's so bad about that, the man
asked. "Well, my dad set the price of this one so high, nobody will buy
it." Or at least that's the way the story went at Granny's the other
day. Does anyone know who that little boy might be?
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
"I may not always like what you tell me.
I will, however, always appreciate it."
GLM


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: