Sunday, December 07, 2003

December 7, 2003 - Sunday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

The sky is overcast and the temperature is 71 degrees..... (in the
house)
Yesterdays H/L temperature 28/17
Last years H/L on this date 32/6
Normal H/L on this date is 23/7
Normal temperature, this time of year,...in the house 71 degrees Todays
Skeeter meter reading ZERO ==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible" ==================================
L O C A L N E W S: July 13, 1953
Mr. and Mrs Jim Lamont and Mr. and Mrs Truman Mattson had a harrowing
experience at Lake of the Woods during the Fourth when they were stranded on
Pine Island from 10 a. m. to 8 p. m. After two hours of fishing a storm struck
and they were able to make their way to the island, arriving there thoroughly
soaked. Trees were bent over from the 60-mile-an-hour wind and sand crept into
the picnic lunch they had packed for the day. The resort owner that had rented
them the boat sent out a plane to attempt to locate them and flew low to
attempt to give them instructions. About three o'clock in the afternoon three
fellows stranded on the other side of the island wandered over and asked if
they could buy some food, since they had had nothing to eat since morning. In
the group were Gerald Goetz of Hensel, former Grafton athlete, and two friends
from Cavalier. The Graftonites were very willing to share their sand-laden
lunch! Jim and Truman had already taken the motor apart, when they found it
would not start, but it was ruined by the water. The boat had sustained a large
crack from the pounding of the waves. A resort launch battled out and picked
up the ladies first, returning immediately for the men. Goetz and his party
were guests at a different part of the lake and the lake at their end calmed
down about 6 o'clock when they made for camp. A bit apprehensive, the party
started conserving their matches along in the afternoon, with the thought in
mind that they might have to be overnight guest on the island. A final check of
boats, after they came in, revealed that one party, that included and elderly
and a young couple, were still out and they were rescued from Pine Island about
5 a. m. the next morning.
------------------------
The preceding article was "Stolen" from W. E. (Ed) Balkee's Caught in the web
column of the Walsh County Record.
That year, a subscription to the Walsh County Record was .40 cents a month, or
$4.00 per year. In contrast, the Gazette hasn't raised subscription rates
since it began. Of course thats because, so far, we don't have a Sports Editor
on staff. (Yet) ==================================
Thanks for the note Marie. I remember one time, Pat and I paid $2.75 apiece
for our "Saint and Sinners". The reason I remember was, I had 4 one dollar
bills, a fifty cent piece and two quarters in my pocket when we left home.
Then, I thought the price of "Saint and Sinners" was only going to cost $ 4.70,
plus a nickel for tax. I realised we could eat Steak & lobster, and leave
Gladys a twenty five cent tip. NOT,.... what I thought was 2.35 ended up being
2.75.
Instead of leaving Gladys a twenty five cent tip. I had to borrow seventy five
cents from her. I will never forget how gracefully Gladys handled that night.
She didn't make a scene, as a matter of fact, she was extremely discrete. She
reached in her apron pocket, pulled out three quarters and said. "Here, take
this and just forget where you got it". Yup, (that's Norwegian for, gosh Gladys
was a terrific person.) nope, I couldn't forget. The very next day, I borrowed
75 cents from dad, grabbed a bud vase with three roses in it (one rose for
each
quarter) and headed across the alley to Gladys Watkins house. When she opened
the door, I wanted to say, "here Gladys, this is for a wonderful person and a
great neighbor." I wanted to say, "these roses are for a person that
understands what it feels like to have problems". I wanted to tell Gladys
Watkins, that the night before, I felt so stupid, foolish, and out of place and
for a awhile, I wasn't sure I would ever get over it. I wanted to say, "Then
you saved my honor, you allowed me to leave the Legion club with pride."
Yes, I really did want to say that. Unfortunately, I didn't. I did say thank
you. I did say I would never forget her. I just wished, as I left her doorstep,
I would have said more. I guess now I have. And, I'm pleased to say, I never
have forgotten her. ==================================
It's a question I asked myself last night while watching a Columbia Mall
commercial. Can a person get a gift certificate, at our local Grafton area
Chamber of Commerce, good for all Grafton stores? I got to thinking, wouldn't
it be handy to walk into the Chamber office and buy 1, 2, or 10 gift
certificates for someone. That could be used in any store in town. You decide.
==================================
Well I'll be darned. According to my watch, it's time for Diana
(Harrah) Conigliaro to have "another" birthday.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIANA
Don't worry, I'm not going to count candles, or decades, or anything like
that. It's not nice to share ladies birth dates.
However, and it's just a guess, it's possible you were already reading see
spot run on grade one. When Julie (Demester) Watkins was getting her first
official spanking.
Qualifying for AARP discounts doesn't have to mean old. It can mean
patriarchal. Besides, when your out at Rocky Point fishing with Nick. Nobody
will ask if your old enough. I don't think.
Happy Birthday Di with all our love. Aunt Patti and Uncle Gary -- GGP
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH ==================================
P.S.
Did I mention? Graftons "BIG" hockey team won another game yesterday. I'm
not sure, Have we lost a game yet?
Did I mention? The squirts, the team Dylin and Joey are on, played two games
yesterday and dumped a barrel of "butt whoopin" on both of them.
-----------------------
Thanks for the note Mavis and happy holidays from our house to yours.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are, before
it's to late.

No comments: