Thursday, March 30, 2006

March 30, 2006 - Thursday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

03/30/06 THURSDAY
----------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by A. E. Pagliarini's
first class in welding.
----------------------
The current temperature is 41 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 46/32
Normal H/L temp for this date is 42/24
Near normal, to a little above average temperatures are forecast for
the next few days.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
Most of the large snowbanks surrounding the entrances of area business
establishments are slowly turning into somewhat smaller piles of
cigarette butts. Some filters, some not.
-------------------------
The latest rumor suggests local residents may be participating in a
race this spring. It'll be a political race, not the NASCAR variety.
Yesterday, I heard that local attorney Todd Burianek will be throwing
his hat in Graftons next Mayoral race. He will be running against
current Mayor Fred Stark. It should make for an interesting race.
Todd is younger and looks to be in pretty good shape from hauling law
books to the courthouse. However, I think Fred has longer legs, and, he
has marched in Joe Birklands parade band. Making music with the best of
them.
+++++++++++
The local states attorney position will also host a race this year.
Incumbent Sharon Martens and Barbara Whelan will square off at the
starting gate for the race to the Walsh County Court House. I expect
both ladies will be able to submit numerous reasons they should be the
one parking in the Court House parking lot.
+++++++++++
I also heard by way of Granny's Grape Vine that "Big Ern", Ernie Barta
is hoping he'll be running up and down the court house steps if he wins
his bid for county commissioner.
I wish all the candidates the very best, and, it should go without
saying, I hope the best person wins. Like always, However, it's not
whether you win or lose. It's how you play the game that counts. Often,
in politics, that means, he that slings the largest pile of bull dung
wins, and, the losers have to haul the dung out to the pasture.
----------------------
Pagliarini's first Welding students were. Garfield Knutson, Reuben
Knutson, Norman Russum, Vernon Russum, W. O. Smith, Martin Odegaard,
Alex Feltman, Irvan Christianson, Edward Bolek, Alf Nygard and Erick
Overland.
(Feb, 1, 1945 Walsh County Record)
----------------------
Anyone that knows anything about hockey. Knows theres a million stories
connected with the sport. I am pleased that Dorothy Wentz was willing to
share one of hers. She wrote; >>> Hi Gary -- It's just a good thing you
were on the ball today cuz I was about to call you to see if you were
ailing or something as bad! I kept thinking if I would just have sent
the dumb stories I have had on my mind to send for weeks you might
have had a little "copy" for help with an edition! So, here goes
with a silly story -- Many years ago when our sons were playing with
the Grafton Pee Wee's hockey team, several car loads of parents
followed the team to Devils Lake. WE WON! As a result many
mothers ran out onto the ice to give the coach, Sonny Wentz (my husband,
by the way), a congratulatory kiss, or whatever you want to call it --
anyway, after several of those -- he seemed so pleased -- I figured I
might as well try too. Wrong! I kissed him in front of the whole
rink full and he sort of cringed and gave me kind of a "dirty" look and
said "For Pete's sake, Dorothy, in front of this whole crowd -- what
are you thinking, or are you?" I was thinking -- Millie, Leona,
Blanche, etc., why not me. Needless to say, it did NOT happen
again!
Print it or not -- depending on how hard up you are for something
to say. I'm really happy that you didn't miss those days cuz you
weren't well. As many others state, you and your writings are enjoyed
by me and obviously by several hundreds more -- keep it up! <<< Thanks a
million Dorothy. I'm certain those folks that knew Sonny, can really
appreciate your story.
And, your note adds credit to the final statement of "almost" every
Gazette.
"The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it."
---------------------------
The next note is one of the shortest yet.
"When is the new coffee shop opening?"
I can only assume it relates to the one in the former Penny's building.
I might add that Ann McAnn's artistry in the new sign above the store is
another beautiful addition to Grafton's main street.
The sign, across the entire store front, reads Cafe - Au - Livre. I'm
not sure what language it is, however it means coffee and books.
ANYWAY, I haven't heard when the coffee will be hot, I expect someone
will tell us when they think it's time for us to know. Right Allen?
-----------------------
The subscription department was busy again today. The first note was
from Marian Hajicek. She wrote; >>>
Dear Gary, I am really enjoying your little news items each day.
Keep up the good work. I have 2 of my sons and their family that want
to become one of us on your list. John and Gary. Yesterday
was my 75th. birthday and I spent it with a big part of my family and
had such a good time reminiscing about the good old days when we lived
on the farm. We all enjoyed talking about way back when. It also
was one of the nicest days for weather that I can remember for many
years. Usually it stormed, like March going out like a lion. Take
care Gary, and keep us all entertained with your column. Thanks
loads. <<< Thank you Marian for caring and sharing. And, welcome to the
Gazette family John and Gary.
++++++
Mert sent the next request. >>> Thanks for all the news, do appreciate
all the work you do in getting this news letter out. I have been
printing your letters for Jeannie and Albert (they don't seem to want a
computer, or, need one) Anyway, Val and Brian would enjoy being
added to your long list. Val is Jeannie and Albert's daughter.
Thanks and take care.
Love, Mert <<< Thank you Mert. This will be Val and Brians "first
edition". I sure hope they will be able to tolerate all the babble. Say
hi to Jerry and all the current and former Rocky Point residents for us.
---------------------
I would like to thank Harlen and Ann Thompson, Jim Rystedt, and June
Erlendson for becoming supporting members of this years American Legion
Baseball program buy purchasing $20 calendar draw tickets.
We have lots of kids that love to play and I still have lots of tickets
to sell. 23 weekday draws of $50 each and 4 Saturday draws of $100 each.
Of course everyone can't win, especially those that don't buy tickets.
-----------------------
Please don't forget the Nessa Schrank, Ben & Maria LeClerc benefits
coming up soon. Checks should be made out to Thrivent Financial for
Lutherans --- c/o of the benefit of your choice. They can be mailed to
Thrivent Financial, 819 Hill Avenue, Grafton ND 58237. Or, if you
prefer to The Wharam or Leclerc Benefit, Care of Gary Moe, 764 Birch
Court, Grafton ND 58237. and I will see that the money gets in the
proper hands.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: