Tuesday, March 28, 2006

March 27, 2006 - Monday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

03/27/06 MONDAY
LATE EDITION
--------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by C. A. Stark.
Radiator and Lawn Mower Repairs. Grafton, ND.
---------------------
The current temperature is 33 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 38/28
Normal H/L temp for this date is 40/22
It looks like we "might" expect high temperatures to be in the
upper 30's, or more, by the end of the week.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
To all of you that noticed the Gazette has been "missing"
since the 21st. Please accept my most sincere apology. Tuesday morning I
received a "note" that literally knocked my socks off. The Readers
Digest Version..... The perception was, that a high school boy from
another town claimed he had done something exceptionally stupid to a
group of ladies from that same town, while he was working in a Grafton
restaurant. (he no longer works in the restaurant).
Unfortunately, that vicious rumor spread across the country
faster than a baby on prune juice could fill a diaper.
It is my understanding that the people involved have discussed
that issue, and, all of the people involved have come to a resolve. It
is also my understanding that the manager of the Grafton Chamber of
Commerce has expressed "our" most sincere apologies, and that those
involved have been issued local gift certificates as a token of "our"
appreciation for their patronage and future considerations. I hope
everyone, will in time, return to a more cordial relationship.
+++++++
THEN, at almost the same time. Word was released that Marvins
Windows would be "investing" $500,000 in "our" future in the form of
housing credits for new or relocated homes in Grafton.
I thought, then, and I still do, that was a fantastic gesture on
behalf of Marvins, and it will almost certainly have a very positive
impact on "our" community.
Unfortunately, almost immediately, I started hearing people
"complain" that it would be detrimental to the housing market in
Grafton. There's to many houses for sale in town already. I heard. Why
can't they by the houses that are already for sale in town? I heard. How
will that help when we already can't sell our house for the appraised
value? I heard.
I'm not absolutely certain, but I think somewhere about here, is
when I started letting my depression and suppression relief valves
switch places. Actually,... I don't think it was right then either.
It may have been when I picked up 40 tickets for this years High
School/American Legion Baseball Calendar draw. The drawings will be in
May. With 23 daily draws for $50 and four Saturday draws for $100. Send
me $20, I'll put your name on a ticket and get it in the drawing. If you
like, I'll even send the receipt to you by return mail.That's the easy
part. The part I struggled with is remembering that just a few short
years ago the Grafton Legionaires had enough members, and, the Legion
club was vibrant enough to literally assume almost complete sponsorship
of that program.
That to, isn't as bad as remembering the 10's of thousands of
Veterans that have given their lives, so those that survived could help
the ball team.
Then, just as I was about to pound out last Wednesdays
Gazette, I looked up and there,.... staring me straight in the eye was
two pictures I won't soon forget.
One of the pictures was Julie (LeClerc) & Chris Wharam and their
two fabulous children Ben (7 mo.) and Maria (almost 3 yrs) Maria was
diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis in January 2005. Ben was diagnosed with
Neuroblastoma Cancer in March of this year.
Ben and Maria's grandparents, Kim & Dennis LeClerc, of Grafton and
Vernie & Glenn Wharam of Park River are giving their little angels all
the prayers, help and support they can. However, it would be fantastic
if others could do the same.
The other picture is of a beautiful 20 year old girl who's
name is Nessa Schrank. She is the daughter of Keith & Sandy Schrank.
Nessa is hospitalized recovering from a brain aneurism due to a brain
development called moya-moya. Nessa will need to undergo several
surgeries to correct this condition.
NOW THEN, along with numrous others, Susan Corneillie and
her staff at Marketplace on 8th will play host to the fund raising
events for both the Wharam and Schrank families.
Turkey & Buffalo Meatballs with all the fixings will be served at
the Wharam benefit Thursday, April 6 from 4:00 to 8:30 at Marketplace on
8th in Grafton.
A Bar-B-Que Pork Dinner with all the trimmings will be served at
Nessa's. Sunday, April 9th from 10:30 am to 4:00 pm at Marketplace on
8th.
Checks and donations for both families should be made out to
Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, and sent to 819 Hill Ave Grafton, ND
58237.
Please identify which fund you would like to support, ie, c/o
Nessa Schrank Fund or c/o Ben Wharam Fund.
Meal tickets for both events can be obtained at the door for $10
each. As I look at both of these families I can't keep from thinking.
There
are many out there with few, if any, problems. There are also many out
there that will leave this world wealthy and never truely know where
their money will go. Nessa, Maria and little Ben would be a fantastic
destination for some of it.
Or so it seems to me.
----------------------
The Gazette subscription department was busy this week.
Please help welcome Susan (Pickett) Torgrude, Tami Egeland, Lisa Votava,
Christopher Larson, Everett Aasand, Ray & Marcy Gourde and Heather
Votava to the Gazette family tree. I hope I have entered the correct
addresses for everyone. I would appreciate it if everyone would let me
know that for certain.
------------------------
This weeks Grafton area Firefighters annual calendar draw winners
are: 3/27/2006 Jeanette Gemmill $20.00
3/28/2006 Katie Grzadzielewski $20.00
3/29/2006 Memorial for Russ Restemayer to Grafton Volunteer Fire
Department courtesy of Allan Szklarski $20.00
3/30/2006 Dwight Rost $20.00
3/31/2006 Pat Dusek * $20.00
4/1/2006 Gil Herbel $20.00
4/2/2006 Steve Arnesen * $20.00
Congratulation to this weeks winners.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or
so it seems to me. P.S.
If you would prefer to send your "help" in care of the Gazette.
Please clearly identify which benefit you're supporting in your
correspondence. The Gazette address is; Gary Moe, 764 Birch Court,
Grafton, North Dakota 58237


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: