Friday, March 03, 2006

March 3, 2006 - Friday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

03/03/06 FRIDAY
----------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by the Kearney -
Wilson Bar Grafton, N. D.
----------------------
The current temperature is 16 degrees
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 22/17
Normal H/L temp for this date is 28/11
It appears that most driveways and sidewalks in town have been
cleaned and are ready for Saturdays predicted storm. "Don't it make you
wanna go home now?"
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
A message of appreciation to the individuals that patronized
the Kearney - Wilson Bar was inserted in the April 19, 1945 Walsh County
Record. It would be interesting to know the people involved (owners &
staff) with that firm and it's location.
---------------------
Rumor has it, Monty Hanson won't be moving into the Generations
basement. It seems he's been looking at going into an eatery in Drayton.
+++++++++++++
Someone said Richard Tarrell's Bald Eagle Marketing operation is
planning on moving into the space between Hart's Machine Shop and Pro Ag
Equipment. I might have misunderstood, but I think I heard that Richard
wants to move a house into that location. I wouldn't put a pile of money
down on this one yet. It seems a bit fishy to me.
-----------------------
Yesterdays Gazette included a request from Jan Burns for LaVonne
Berg to contact her. Shortly after sending it out, I received the
following note. >>> Hi Gary, I was just watching LaVonne playing tennis
on the court here in Carriage Manor. She is doing a great job. I will
give her Jan's phone number. Thanks for all your information from home.
We want to wish a very Happy Birthday to Connie Kieley today. Happy
Birthday and many more from Nels and Sonia Midgarden. See you in April.
The weather is great. <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Jans
cell number with LaVonne as well. Several of the guys at Granny's
already knew LaVonne was a good curler. Now they know she's pretty good
at tennis too.
I did notice the big sign at the BP gas station did say Happy
Birthday Connie Kieley yesterday. I also noticed instead of listing
Connie's age they inserted a question mark (?). I'm not sure if that
means the sign maker didn't know, or, if Lee didn't dare share.
ANYWAY, Happy Birthday (yesterday) Connie. From your Eastwood
neighbors Sonia and Nels Midgarden, and, the entire Gazette family.
------------------------
Just the other day, I was wondering how "our" Ohio Fox
Hunter friends are doing. As a matter of fact, it was about the same day
I was wondering if, I or someone I know, would ever win a giant lottery.
Then, almost like magic, I received the following note from Cindy. She
wrote;
Did you hear the BIG news from our little town of Lyons Ohio?
Someone bought the "winning" MEGA Lottery ticket at our little corner
store. The winner has not come forward yet, but it sure has caused a BIG
buzz. It is the biggest jackpot ever ( if memory serves me right) in
Ohio! We sure hope it is a local, and wouldn't it be wonderful if it was
one of our very own Fox Hunters? Or maybe one of the hard working
farmers in our area. Whom ever it is, we are sure excited for them and
have had fun trying to guess who it is. It wasn't Bill and me, but I am
sure happy for who ever it is. Cindy <<< Thanks a million for caring and
sharing Cindy. Maybe the lucky winner will buy Bill a new four door
pickup for your trip to North Dakota this summer, OR, fox hunting next
winter.
Please greet Bill, and all the guys, from their friends in
Grafton.
-------------------------
With snowdrifts and snowbanks higher than the price of gas, it's
beginning to look like the park, among other things, will be full of
water again this year. Wally must be thinking about the same thing too,
as he sent the following. >>> Hi Gary and a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
PAT, enjoy every day of it.
I moved snow all day, that's right, I moved it from one place to
another. The curb is piled high from 10th to 11th street, mostly from
our drive way. This is the most snow we have had here since we moved
into this house.
I have heard a lot today about the storm of 1966, thats 40 years
ago, we lived on the west end of 14th street kitty corner from the
West View School.
I drove my car home from the store, parked it on the drive way and
was going to open the garage door. In that short time I got stuck. The
snow came faster than I could shovel. In a little over an hour it almost
covered the car.
We had a drift from Ralph Michalski's house across the street and
almost over our house. They had to use a rotary snow plow to open it.
There was a snow drift on Cherry street from Burtt's house over the
street south and over Phil Bradbury's house. The drift was over
the front windows at the store. My brother George was missing for 3
days, he was in a very poor home made over from an old gas station, they
had no phone, he said they treated him royally. Lots of great people in
this world.
It was a very bad storm, one of the worst I have ever seen, or,
will ever see. I am so glad I saw it. Memories are priceless.
Thanks for bringing them back to us from time to time. Really if
you did not do it no one else would. Thanks again old
friend, Wally <<< Thanks for caring and sharing Wally. I
remember having to walk from Marg and Ray Demester's house on the north
end of Wakeman Avenue to the Flower shop and greenhouse during that
storm to keep the boilers running so the greenhouses wouldn't freeze up.
When I let the flower shop the next afternoon, I walked out the second
floor window and still had to dig a path up a few feet more to get
outside. You are right, memories are wonderful,... sometimes, more
wonderful than others. That was the year I replaced over 700 pains of
glass in the greenhouses before the snow piles turned into green grass.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or
so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: