Wednesday, March 15, 2006

March 15, 2006 - Wednesday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

03/15/06 WEDNESDAY grp 11 of 20
EARLY EDITION
---------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by Wollitz Barber
Shop. Where Urban Wollitz is the "head clipper".
---------------------
The current temperature is -4 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 17/-4
Normal H/L temp for this date is 33/17
It won't be long and we'll be trading frost bites for Skeeter
bites.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
If you haven't already made plans to attend the 2006 Summerfest
festivities. Today would be a great day to start. I understand there is
still plenty of room for anyone wishing to come "home" for the
Summerfest. It could very well be, the best "reunion" yet.
----------------------
While reading the Record, I came upon the following "article of
interest".
Citizenship Regained by Resident of Grafton. A Grafton lady, Mrs
Eric Overland, was repatriated as a United States Citizen at proceedings
before Judge Albert Lundberg in the county court house Monday.
Mrs. Overland, a native of the United States, was married to an
alien during the time when federal statutes brought loss of citizenship
through such an action. Later, although her husband became a naturalized
citizen, she did not regain the citizenship under the now-revised
statute.
(taken from the Dec. 23, 1954 WCR)
-----------------------
Yesterday was the day the Lord, and the state of North Dakota
decided I should renew my drivers license. SO,...I did.
I took the "notice" off the refrigerator and headed for the
Chamber office. As I entered the rear door, I was reminded of
Gillespie's Meat Market, as I was told I had to take a number. (I was #
21) With every chair full, I backed up against the wall and immediately
started the observation phase of the visit.
It was apparent, I was the oldest one in the room. The young girl
to my right looked like she was less than a week out of "pullups" and
she was telling the girl on my left that she wouldn't pass anyway,
because she never studied. The girl on my left was telling the girl
walking out the door, (the one going out to take her drivers test) not
to smash up her boy friends car. While, number 17 was called to take her
written, Number 18 was instructed to stand still and smile during the
flash and number 19 was making out a check for her license. Then 17
flunked, as did 19 and number 20 was called to the counter. I was almost
certain I would be the next in line. After all, I was # 21.
Anyway, the lady called for number 27 and they both headed for the
door. Then the man asked the father of number 20 to step behind the
counter. Two minutes later, he, walked out with his daughter watering
the flowers on her sweatshirt. As I started moving away from the wall,
now almost certain I would be next, number 27 came back in the room and
the young man was crying like a farmer that just lost his last wheat
allotment.
By this time a young lady came out of no-where and was standing in
front of the camera. Should I smile, or shouldn't I, she asked, It's up
to you, he said. What do you think looks better, she asked. It's up to
you, he said, and just then the camera flashed. Then she said, I sure
hope I don't look as stupid on this one as I did on the last one. (I'm
not sure if I heard the mans reply correctly or not. I think, he said, I
doubt that can happen miss.
ANYWAY, FINALLY, the man called for number 21 and the lady next to
me said, "that's you isn't it?" Yup, they checked my eyes and I could
see, then I filled out the required form and that's when my visit to the
drivers license bureau started taking on a more serious tone.
I notice your shaking, he said, and how long have you been
diagnosed with Parkinson's, he asked. Are you taking insulin for the
diabetes, he continued and then he said, grab my arm with your right
hand and squeeze, then do the same with your left hand please. After
writing down several notes he looked at me and said, "you seem good
enough to me." Then he asked me to check the rest of the information for
accuracy. I did add a couple numbers in the weight box, and took an inch
off the height from my previous license. My eye color remained the same,
although I changed the hair color from brown, to caucasian. (A more
realistic appraisal of the actual color of the area on top of my head.)
I thanked the young man that helped me, and, as I walked out, I
couldn't help wondering, if I will have another opportunity to make
similar observations four years from know when this one needs renewing.
Or, if I will find the quote "nothing is forever" come to past, in my
future.
------------------------
Yesterday "we" mentioned a book written about the flood of
1941. I guess I knew once, and, do again now, that; Doug Ramsey works at
ACSC in Drayton. Now don't that just beat all?
+++
We also received this note, "about the book". Subject: Candles in
the
Window
Gary, for those that want to know, I found the book
"Candles In The Window" on Amazon. Good used is $14,95, Like new $20.00.
There are several books by that name but this is definitely the one
on the 1941 Blizzard. Bert <<< Thanks for caring and sharing Bert.
------------------------
I have been asked to share the following message without a
signature.
Gary, Did you know that Muriel Gjeim will be 100 years old
on March 18th. Isn't that wonderful? She still lives alone and is really
sharp. <<< Thanks so much for caring and sharing. That's 1,200 months,
5,200 weeks, 36,500 days and 876,000 hours here on earth.
CONGRATULATIONS Muriel, on the most significant celebration of the
centennial anniversary of your birth.
---------------------------
Today another wonderful lady will also celebrate the anniversary
of her birth. Mert Pribula will be blowing out one more candle today. We
hope you enjoy this special day Mert, and many, many more.
From Pat & Gary Moe and our entire gene pool. We love you, and
wish you a very Happy Birthday.
----------------------------
The next note covers alot of ground. First, "we" now know where
Carol and Connie were. And,. we've learned they would like to become a
part of the Gazette family. >>> Hi Gary
Talking about Carol and Connie they were here in Kansas and
spent the night with Paul and me. We had a great time they are two
great ladies who enjoy life.
While they were here they read one of your newsletters and would like
to receive it. Wonder why there email is lighthouse twins? Beverly
A. & Paul A. DeSautel <<< Thanks a million Beverly. I can answer the
lighthouse question. That's because they are as nuts about lighthouses
as Pat is.
Welcome Connie and Carol DeSautel, to the Gazette family. I hope
you will find something in it worth your time and energy.
+++++
I am pleased to add yet another branch to the family tree. Tom
wrote;
Please add me to your list. This site is very interesting to read.
Thomas Restemayer, Fargo <<< We are very pleased to welcome you to
"our" Gazette family Tom. Our only guarantee is we will do the best we
can to provide a pinch of yesterday, with a bit of today, mixed with a
dash of untamed imagination and poured into the mold of tomorrow. All
for our next generation to read and decipher. "If it's spoken, it's mere
words in the wind. If it's written, it's factual my friend." GLM
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or
so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: