Monday, January 28, 2008

January 28, 2008 - Monday (early)

Todays Gazette is brought to you, in support of Draytons Family
Restaurant.
====== HASTINGS LANDING. ======
-----------------------
The current temperature is 23 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 31/-6
Normal H/L temp for this date is 16/-3
Notice how fast the "normal" H/L is coming up. Sharpen your fish hooks.
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-------------------------
Work resumed on the "Longhouse" on the north end of town. The siding
has been put on the walls of the main portion of the building. Windows
have been installed in what will eventually be the office area of the
complex.
--------------------------
The folks at the Pay Day Loan store must be doing a land office
business. After only a few months of operating in an office in the
former Northwestern Bell Telephone building. They have moved to a
"Castle". The Castle building, that is, on main street. That's the
building that Chuck and Evie Thomson built in back 1976.
Yup, if you need to get paid, before you get paid on payday. Just stop
and see the Pay Day Loan folks on the corner of 8th and main. That's
right across the street from the bank that owns all the Stag Coach's.
-----------------------
Shortly after hearing that Curves would be moving out of the Western
Plaza shopping center. I was told that someone was looking at, and
interested in, moving into the former Denny's Food Pride portion of that
complex. Although I understand the "final T" hasn't been crossed yet, it
could, or at least we hope, it might happen soon.
It is gratifying that someone, at the very least, is interested in
that property.
--------------------------
Maintaining a small town business community requires the work and
efforts of all of it citizens. "Use it, or lose" it has real true
meaning in small town America.
I received the following note from my good friend Lee. I must admit,
it's content is more than a little disheartening. At first I wondered
what, if anything, there was that I could do. What could I say, or do,
that could possibly help Christine and the wonderful folks in the
Drayton community.
Then it struck me. I could help spread the message in the Gazette. I
could use Lee's own heartfelt words because they convey the story with
sincere empathy. And finally, I could ask everyone that can, to
seriously consider patronizing one of Drayton North Dakota's most vital
businesses, Hastings Landing.
++++++
Lee's note; >>>
Gary,
In the last issue of the Drayton newspaper, Christine Jensen had an
article about Hastings Landing restaurant which her and her husband
Tracy own. It was a very touching article to say the least, one that
without doubt came directly from the heart.
Hastings is in danger of closing as profits don't cover expenses
most days. She spoke of meeting with the banker and securing additional
finances to keep the doors open, a last ditch effort to keep their
dream of running a restaurant alive. She speaks of placing their fate in
the hands of God which is a noble thing to do, and something that
doesn't surprise me coming from Christine. However I think anything
we as humans can do to help would be appreciated by God himself, as he
has many other things to look after, some probably more important
than a restaurant in Drayton ND.
After I'd read Christine's article I thought to myself, wouldn't it
be great if I had a friend who was the editor in chief of the finest
sometimes daily, sometimes semi-weekly, sometimes, weekly, or
semi-monthly (depending on how well the fish are biting at Rocky Point)
newsletter in the upper midwest? And wouldn't it be great if he
personally knew Christine and her family, and knew what fine people the
entire gene pool consists of?
Then I thought, wouldn't it be great if that friend, the editor in
chief, wrote an article about the plight of Hastings Landing in his
newsletter, and sent it out to the several thousand who receive the
newsletter? They come from near and far, but if those that fit the
"near" category would be willing to open their hearts and wallets to
help out a fine couple wouldn't that be great I thought to myself?
Wouldn't it be great if that editor in chief sent that note out in the
Saturday edition of the newsletter, and bragged up the great buffet
Hastings has on Sundays? And wouldn't it be great if the wonderful
people from the surrounding areas would drive to Drayton after worship
services to partake in that great buffet? Wouldn't it be great to see
the main street of Drayton lined with cars from the surrounding area
in a show of support to this fine couple I thought to myself?
Then I realized I did know a guy who fit the above bill to a Tee,
and that guy is you!! So do you suppose you could throw some words
together that would tug at peoples hearts enough to make this happen?
Thanks in advance for anything you can do my fine friend. <<<<
Thanks Lee, Thank you for caring and sharing. I have spent untold
hours looking for the key that would unlock the mysteries of the human
soul. All the while trying to understand why, we are so willing ignore
that which is so close to us, yet regret it's loss when it's gone.
I believe two of the three most important aspects of Hastings Landing
already exist. That is the people and the need. The third aspect must be
supplied by the people of the community, and, that is the resources to
sustain the business known as Hastings Landing Restaurant. You are
certainly right about me knowing the Jensen family Lee. Starting with
Christine's grandfather (The sign man) well over 50 years ago, her
parents 35 years ago and Christine when she started writing for the
Walsh County Record. I consider the Jensen family "Salt of the Earth".
=======================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
=======================
"If you don't care to share with your loved ones. You shouldn't expect
them to share with you." Or so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: