Wednesday, January 23, 2008

January 23, 2008 - Wednesday (early)

Todays Gazette is brought to you from the files of Sunday March, 2004
-----------------------
The current temperature is -8 degrees. Yesterdays H/L temperature was
N/A
Normal H/L temp for this date is 15/-5
=======================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=======================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
I received a note yesterday from an anonymous author. The message has
merit, and I think should be shared. Unfortunately, like big city
newspapers, I will not relay a message without knowing the author. If
the author requests I not share the name in the Gazette. I will be happy
to honor that wish as well.
-----------------------
The following was taken from a previous Gazette written in March of
2004. I'm hoping, just maybe, it's content will bring back memories to
some, and more importantly, will give others reasons to care to share a
part of their world.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The old saying, "shake a tree hard enough and something is bound to
fall out", comes to mind. Who are we? Where are we? What are we doing?
Has been a focus of mine since the first day of the Gazette. To learn
more about my world, and the people that live in it.
Finding the key that unlocks peoples fears and apprehensions. Is much
like looking for the "needle in a hay stack". Convincing people, that
the piece of environment they control, is important,... to everyone.
And, sharing your mind, your heart, your soul, and knowing it's OK to do
so.
It pleases me that many, folks have taken "the challenge" of opening
up their world a bit. Letting in, those of us with no other way of
knowing.
It's important to me, to know a father and son can spend time
together. That a mother and daughter can still share their thoughts, in
this worrisome time. I receive a great deal of solace in the fact that
family members can still enjoy family members.
To be able to put names, to those processes makes the effort most
worthwhile. To know, the tree of life we planted, when we arrived, will
have at least one more leaf when we depart. Is, to me at least, as much,
or as little, as
one desires.
I received the following note from Jill (Sevigny) LeQuire. Jill is
the youngest daughter of Leona and Adrian Sevigny. Uncle Ad was my
mothers brother. (When I close my eyes, I can still hear Uncle Ad
laughing in the Grafton Armory at Robert and Sharon (DeSautel) Larsons
wedding dance.) How long ago was that?
Jill wrote:
Hi Gary,
Also -- hi to all my Sevigny relatives and friends out there.
Greetings from Nebraska. I really enjoy getting your Gazette. It keeps
me in the know with what is happening in Grafton and with my friends. We
saw Tom and Julie Watkins a couple of years ago when we were in their
fair city playing hockey. Tommy will never change and he still looks the
same as when he lived down the block from me growing up. Just maybe a
little less hair. If I remember right he is only a year or two younger
than me and even though women don't like to tell their age I'm 46 so if
you can do the math!!!!!! Happy birthday Tommy........... Also Happy
birthday to my godfather David...... hope things are going well for you.
Sounds like your still keeping young with your motorcycle. Good for
you. If you ever get close to Omaha, please look me up. Things are
going well with my family. My daughter Abbey is in her sophomore year at
Lincoln, planning on a degree in Criminal Justice. Hopes to be in the
FBI or a crime scene investigator some day. My son Nick is a sophomore
in high school and just finished his hockey season with the Jr. Lancers.
Nick has followed in his fathers footsteps and is a goalie. Not a
position I would pick but he really loves it. He's 15 and is 6'2
and,.. his weight, we won't mention. Let's say he takes after the
Sevigny's in that department. He has aspirations to come to UND someday
and play for the Sioux, but we will see. Oh, by the way, I really
enjoyed reading Jeff Pederson's piece about Grafton's 1973 hockey
tourney, and of course so did Bill. He replays that year of the state
tournament with Nick all the time and tells him never to give up because
anything can happen.
My brothers and sister are all great to. Both my brothers are going to
be grandpas. WOW, that is so hard to believe, they just don't seem that
old. Mom (Leona) is really excited to become a great grandma for the
first time.
We always get together in Minneapolis for the Final 5 hockey. So I
will see them this week. Lynus (Adeline & Woodrow Sevigny's son)
organizes the whole thing, and its a great time of hockey, eating,
shopping and laughing about when we were younger. Something always comes
up about how Mickey and Lynus always got in trouble and Lynus claims he
was never involved.. Boy his memory is the first thing to go.... ha, ha.
Well, this got to be longer than planned. Keep up the good work and
remember,
there are people out there reading this. Thanks Gary.. Jill<<<<<
Thank you Jill, for caring and sharing. P.S. Woodrow was also my moms
brother.
==============================
====
LOCAL MEMORIES: Sweet justice,
By Mare Thompson;
Mare is a former resident of Grafton, and the daughter of Gloria
and Lynn (Jim) Thompson. I found her article in the Yesteryears section
of the Grand Forks Herald particularly interesting. She wrote about her
sister Cathy. I never really got to know Mare, I did however know her
sister Cathy. Cathy and our first born daughter Kelly went to school
together. And, I might add, several other places as well. I was pleased
also to share the same employer as Cathy during her tenure as a nurse
for American Crystal Sugar.
I remember Cathy spending lots of time at our house. Kelly, her
friends, and often Pat and I, would spend hours playing games on the
living room floor. Sometimes jumping up and down on the living room
furniture (once, to it's demise) and playing a game that required
hitting
balloons back and forth across the room.
Cathy would sometimes ask, if I would do "the deck of card" and
"Green Green Grass of Home". I took that, as a compliment, even though I
was not very good at it. It was a wonderful time for Pat and I. Cathy,
and, all of Kelly's friends, were wonderful kids. Gosh, what wonderful
memories.
ANYWAY, after reading Mare's article about Cathy eating those small
foil wrapped chocolates - sometimes referred to as, lower digestive
track lubricating lozenges - I have finally discovered why Cathy
Thompson was able to run so fast.
Thanks Mare, for the memories.
========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
========================
"It is not wrong to say what you think. Not thinking about what you
say,...... is."

1 comment:

Rose Carlson said...

Hi Gary,
I am the guilty party for signing in anonymously yesterday with my post. I guess I didn't know how to do that correctly. I was mentioning that I appreciate the positive comments your gazette includes about Grafton every day, so I am hoping subscribe. As a new subscriber, may I be so bold as to encourage people to contact their city council persons to let them know how they felt about the recent ordinance vote? They tell me they have hardly heard a peep from anyone; hence, our apathy translates into a NO vote from our council members. If you need their names and addresses, check this site: http://grafton.govoffice.com/
Link to "citizen information". Our mayor could use your encouragement too.
Thanks for making Grafton a great place to raise our family!