Thursday, February 09, 2006

February 9, 2006 - Thursday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE
---------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by Kennedy's Bar, and,
Kennedy's 5:45 Club. Buy one & get one free.
---------------------
The current temperature is 14 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 8/-20
Normal H/L temp for this date is 20/1
1 to 3 inches of snow and high winds are in our forecast.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
Electrical crews have been working in the area just east of the former
Bridgeman Creamery building on the north end of town. Already Rocks
electric has set several tall poles topped with reasonably substantial
lights. It appears that "our" newest railroad line will be using that
area for parking, staging, or repairing railroad equipment.
-----------------------
Lately it seems, it's easier for me to remember things that happened
over a half century ago, than it is to remember if I'm putting my pants
on, or taking them off. More often than not, "things" remind me of
things I had put in the "forgotten" file of my memory for the better
part of fifty years.
The mention of the Adams Funeral Home "Little White Church" is a
pleasant memory for me. The mention of it brought back memories for
Millicent and Tom La Berge as well. They wrote; >>>
Dear Gary, Tom and I enjoy your newsletter so much! There's
nothing like a trip down memory lane to jog the mind out of today's
duties and reminisce back to the days of youth, where every day had an
excitement of learning and growing. Your Christmas story was great;
it took us back to the scene of the church and music, but also the
cold crisp, frigid air and the crunching snow underfoot. We
especially enjoy the daily temperature and weather report that
makes it easier to tolerate the cold, damp, raw winters here in
Virginia. For now let us leave you with an early Valentine, sent with
love
A friend sent an early "Valentine" to see if it will make it around
the
world by Feb. 14th.
For God so loVed the world,
That He gAve
His onLy
BegottEn
SoN

That who so ever
Believeth In Him
Should Not perish,
But have Everlasting life."
Now THAT is LOVE!
Tom and Millicent
Thanks a million for caring and sharing. I'm not sure if your message
will "transmit" exactly as you sent it. That is that all capital letters
spell out the word Valentine. I sure hope so.
----------------------
The mention of Christmas lights gave Chris reason to share the
following note: >>> Gary,
It's been too long since I've sent you a note! Love your website - very
impressive! Your christmas lights will be remembered by a lot of people,
I am sure. I moved to Grafton in 1990 and during the Christmas season,
my nieces from Fordville wanted to come and stay with me during
christmas school break. Although I was happy they wanted to spend time
with me, one of the real reasons they wanted to come to Grafton was
because I'd take them around town and we'd look at all the christmas
lights. If I remember correctly, they nicknamed your house the
"Gingerbread House" and we'd sit parked on the street for the longest
time staring at your home. Your lights really were beautiful! At that
time, I didn't even know who lived in the home - just knew that whoever
lived there musta loved the Christmas season! Keep the Gazette coming
and say hi to Pat. It seems I never see you two anymore - but I don't
seem to get out and about to much!
Chris Ferguson <<< Thanks for caring and sharing Chris and also for your
kind words.
-------------------------
The mention of lights jogged Paul DeSautel's memory bank and he shared
the following. >>>
Re: Little White Church.
I too remember that decoration, and many others around town.
As a young tike I remember being in the "shop" in the basement of City
Hall "helping" Wellington Ingle and Jim Lee dye the light bulbs (dipping
them 1 at a time into a colored tint) that were strung across Hill
Avenue.
But to the Scrooge that told you to turn it off at your house, I
hope you remembered and gave some of the colorful words we all learned
in grade school . (like moron, idiot etc) Put em up and play the
music, I'll drive all the way up there to see it !!!
Thanks for another memory. <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing
Paul. It's to late for "us" as all of our old lights and decorations,
have found other places, and other attics to occupy.
----------------------
Wally wanted to shed a bit of light (pardon the pun) on the subject as
well.
He wrote: >>> Hi Gary
Many thanks for your Gazette today. (wed.) I remember the little
white church .. it was a great welcome to all who drove thru our town. I
also remember it in the window in the funeral home. I wonder what
happened to the little church?
I also remember your lights. Do you remember our house on 14th
street and all the red bulbs? We worked hard to make it possible. The
real reason was for others to enjoy. I remember coming home from work
each nite at 9 p.m. and working on them till midnight.
My family worked with me on the cut outs, it was family fun at its
best. My memory of the kids on our roof with me is priceless.
Really why did you stop ?? My cut outs are stolen every year in
the park, this year was no exception. I will not stop for a few who
complain or steal when the majority enjoy our effort.
I read the story On page 3 c in the Herald
on the Columbia overpass. It was turned down twice and only because of
some people with vision it went thru only with one lane. Later the
people petitioned to get it made into 2 lanes.
The biggest opposition was from the students and faculty. Most
are now gone, yet we enjoy the Columbia road overpass. Next time
you and your readers are on the over pass look each way at the traffic.
What would we do with out it? Or, the stop lite on Gateway and I 29. The
councilman who promoted that light almost lost his job because a few
complained to his boss.
Thank God for the people who have vision and are not afraid to
stand up and be counted Wally
Thanks for caring and sharing Wally.
---------------------
The note from Don LaMont gave Ralph reason to share the following: >>>
Just tell Ron LaMont that he is absolutely right in what he wrote. Our
government has a responsibility to protect us. Does that mean they can
listen in on our phone calls without a warrant? Like many, I am proud
and value our freedoms. The Bill of Rights is the most important
document that has ever been produced by any government. No where does it
say that this means that murderers can do what they want. Democracy does
give us these rights, but it also requires responsibility from it's'
citizens. You can't have the former without agreeing to the latter. <<<
Thanks for caring and sharing Ralph. I think I agree with both of you,
assuming of course that I understand the issue as well as you do.
-----------------------
I received the following note from Scott Hove. Scott is the author of
the book titled OH, POOP! Problems Happen... It's What You Do With Them
That Matters. I've said in the past and continue to do so, it's a super
little "how to feel better in this crazy world of ours" book.
Among other endeavors, Scott is also the architect that set up the
Gazette web site. newsfromgrafton.com I have spent several hours tying
to come up with a proper method of appreciation for Scotts efforts in
the Gazette's behalf. So far, anything I come up with seems to
insignificant. I remain confident, in time, I will draft a fitting and
proper commendation and share it with Scott, and the rest of the Gazette
family as well.
Today, Scott sent a note to share the following. >>> Subject: From
Scott Hove - You've Inspired My Dog
Gary,
Just wanted you to know that my Yellow Lab, Millie, enjoys the Gazette
so much she decided to get in on the act!
You can check her site out at: www.BlogByDog.com
Scott Hove
Grafton High School Class of '75 <<< Thanks a million Scott. I did check
it out. I really like it, and not only that. I think I will be a better
person for doing so. I plan on being a regular visitor of Millie's site.
By the time I get done reading Millie's site, Steve Larson's site,
having coffee at Granny's,....and eating. I probably won't have any time
left to do the Gazette.... Did I mention time out for fishing too?
++++++++++++++
"Not every day is a great day, but every day is a good day and I've
learned to make the best out of it." Millie (Hove)
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette won't work, if the folks that read it, don't write it. Or
so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: