Monday, February 06, 2006

February 6, 2006 - Monday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

02/06/06 MONDAY grp 1 of 20
--------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by Dakota Northern
Railroad. It's line originates in Grafton and runs to Glasston and
Walhalla.
---------------------
The current temperature is -8 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 7/-16
Normal H/L temp for this date is 19/0
It doesn't sound like the local beach is going to be very busy for the
next few days.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
The Three locomotive engines (two large & one smaller) that have spent
the past several days parked on the south end of town were moved into
town Saturday. Dakota Northern Railroads lease of the tracks north, to
Glasston and Walhalla took effect at 12.01 Sunday morning. So far there
doesn't appear to be any cars for the new engines to pull, though I'm
sure they'll show up as mysteriously as the engines did the other day.
The Grand Forks Herald ran a fairly substantial article in the Saturday
paper. It would have been fun to have "our" local Record beat them to
the punch, but I guess you can't win-em all.
The new Railroad will be another welcome addition to the Grafton
business community. I was pleased to see a couple of Dakota Northern
Railroad people eating dinner at Granny's on Saturday. Already the
business community is benefiting from "our" new railroad venture.
---------------------
Speaking of dinning out. Pat and I "dined" at Marketplace on 8 Saturday
night. She had a tenderloin and I "tried" the Prime rib. They were both
fantastic as was all the rest of "the fixins". Bill and Dee DeSautel sat
at the next table and Bill reported his Buffalo Sirloin Steak was
fabulous. (Marketplace features Buffalo on the menu from Tom & Mary Jo
Olson's local buffalo ranch) If I remember right, I think he mentioned
it was so good, it may even make him a little "frisky".
As I was leaving Marketplace, I stopped by Suzanne and Gene Burns'
table and told Gene what Billy had said. I'm not sure if Gene ordered
the buffalo or not, but I thought I heard Suzanne whisper, "it'll take
more than one to do anything for you, Gene." And so it goes.
--------------------
Graftons hockey team squared off against the boys from Minot, the
Magic City, Saturday night. The boys from out west may be able to pull
rabbits out of the hat, but the Spoilers kept up their namesake here in
the valley. The final score, --- Grafton 5, Minot 4.
---------------------
Speaking of scores,... basketball scores. Fairdale was the winner over
Adams 74 to 36. Its seems Mike Callahan poured in 32 points for the
Fairdale fans, on the Fairdale home floor. Oops, did I forget to mention
that was reported in the January 17, 1955 edition of the Walsh County
Record?
---------------------
Here's another piece from that same 1955 paper. == Girl Scout Notes:
==
We started with the Girl Scout pledge. The Girl Scouts who had uniforms
got badges with "Grafton" imprinted on them. Patty Feig read about Girl
Scouts in the Philippines. Joanne Honsvall had a play called "Little Red
Riding Hood". Margaret Conlon had a play called "The Three Bears".
Joann Wentz, reporter
+++++++++++++
That same paper said that Mrs. Campbell, the Gaustad's and Daniel
Lessard's motored to Crookston to visit Mr. Campbell. Aren't memories
wonderful?
+++++++++++++
The same Record reported the Jan. 15, 1955 wedding of Audrey Eng and
Jarl Pederson. The lovely young couple stood before Father John Garland
with Marilyn Kalbrener and Eugene Pribula standing by to make sure they
went through with it. After the wedding they all went over to gramma
Laurier's house at 535 Cooper Avenue and had breakfast. "Great
Memories."
++++++++++++++
Again from the same paper, Tommy Greenwood wanted to thank everyone
that sent flowers for the opening of his new business, Tommy's
Recreation. I remember Tommy's card room was a super place to sell
papers. The air was so thick with cigar smoke, one day I tripped over a
springer spaniel puppy. Often the language was more colorful than Tommy
Ganyo's flowerbeds in Leistikow Park.
-------------------------
I received another fishing report from the River Rat on LOW. It sounds
like the action hasn't been good enough to write home about, So, The
"Rat" called instead. He says it seems 18 to 24 feet is the best depth.
This time, he wasn't sure if he would make it over to Rocky Point or
not. Our connection was a bit weak but I think he said "the wife would
be coming up for the weekend, and, after that I might be to tired to go
to Rocky Point." At least I think he said something like that.
+++++++++++++++++
ANYWAY, speaking of Arnesen's Rocky Point on Lake of the Woods. Sunday
afternoon, I was exercising my channel switching finger and, low and
behold, I come upon one of those "North Country" fishing shows. The
first picture I saw was that of a pair of giant Johnson outboard motors.
'I've seen those motors before,' I thought. Then one of the guys in the
boat landed a lunker walleye. Again I thought, "dag nabbit" I think
that's Mark Arnesen.
Sure enough, the announcers said, something like, well we're here today
fishing out of Arnesen's Rocky Point Resort with sport fisherman Mark
Arnesen. My first response was, "well dog bite my unit," that is Mark.
Just then the phone rang and it was my daughter Wendy. She said,
"it's,.. he's,.. there on,.. what channel, did ya see him,.. and
finally, she said. Are you watching channel 51? Mark Arnesen is in the
Grady White,... fishing? I said yah, I know, I just turned on the
channel and before I knew it,...click. I guess she went back to finish
watching the show herself.
The Captain of the Grady White that day was Tim Hill son of Bill Hill
for those of you that remember, Bill and his white rubber boots are
summer residents at Arnesen's.
Gosh I hope I can get to go fishing again pretty soon. For those of
you that want a fantastic spot to spend a few days, or more, fishing and
relaxing, I recommend Arnesen's Rocky Point Resort. 1-800-535-7585 OR
www.arnesen.com
When you call them, tell them you know me. It won't do you a darn bit
of good. It won't even do me a darn bit of good, but, you will have a
super time at Rocky Point and I will too. Just knowing you did.
-----------------------
The Gazette is about caring and sharing. It's about exchanging feelings
and thoughts that we might not otherwise share. It requires the input
from it's readers to survive.
Billy Graham once said. "My life is dedicated to speaking and spreading
the word of the Lord." He continued. "When I stand before a large group
of people and speak, I am speaking directly to them." as he continued,
Reverend Graham said. "I gain strength and assurance from their
response, in the knowledge that what I say has meaning. With the hope it
may, in some small way, have meaning in their lives, and ultimately, it
most certainly, changed mine."
I have often thought of those words from renowned Evangelist Billy
Graham. They have, in a small way, helped me thru difficult times. As a
matter of fact. It was shortly after hearing those words from Reverend
Graham that I coined the Quot, "I may not always like what you tell me.
I will, however, always appreciate it."
For that reason, I ask for everyones participation in the Gazette.
--------------------
The Gazette family tree has added a couple new branches over the
weekend. Please welcome Tom Kennelly, from the St.Thomas area and Marian
Hajicek to "our" family.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, right it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: