Tuesday, February 07, 2006

February 7, 2006 - Tuesday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

02/07/06 TUESDAY
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by Mahar's Bakery and
Coffee Shop. Watch for there Grand Opening in the new building two doors
south of the Strand Theater on Hill Avenue.
(Walsh County Record December, 1948)
-------------------
The current temperature is 19 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 17/-11
Normal H/L temp for this date is 20/1
The Gazette ground crew blew almost three inches of snowcat dust off
the driveway this morning.
================================== "Profanity makes ignorance
audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
---------------------
Rumor has it the Yardman will be moving his "stuff" out of the former
Hvidsten building. They (The Yardman) have been using the south part of
that facility for some of their equipment for the past few months. It
sounds like that building will be the next one invaded by construction
crews preparing it for it's new tenants.
----------------------
The list of individuals presently working for, or, that will soon be
working in Graftons "newest ventures" is starting to get quite long.
Already, a few of the folks that said it can't happen, or, it'll never
work, are seriously thinking of changing their mind.
I'm not sure if Al & Susan are planning on any large plantings or
flower beds around their buildings. If they are, they shouldn't have a
problem taking care of them, as they have hired all, or most, of the
staff that once tended to Leistikow Park.
-----------------------
It's getting to be the time of the year that stalactites start showing
up on rain gutters and eaves throughout the area. I remember as a
youngster breaking them off and licking them on the way to and from
school. As I remember it, they didn't always taste the same although I
really never knew why.
Since then, I have had the opportunity to observe several varieties of
birds roost on our roof, and,.. what they do when their roosting.
YUP,... that would account for the variety of tastes in icicles alright.
-----------------------
I understand a couple dozen or so "area" residents are up fishing at
Arnesen's Rocky Point today. Someone said this morning they thought the
group, equipped with short rods, was being led by The Bohemian
Connection. (Big Ern) That could be, and, they may have just adopted
guys like Bruce Eickenberry and Steve Larson to be polite. At any rate I
hope they don't bugger up the summer fishing for us guys that only have
long rods.
--------------------
Speaking of Steve Larson, I received the following note from him the
other day.
>>> Hi Gary,
Your new website is great ! I've always wished I could go back in the
archives and either read the issues I missed or re-read the issues I
should have printed out.
I thoroughly enjoy reading the Gazette each day.....and really admire
what you do. In fact, partly because of you, I've started my own
blog, which can be found at stevelarsonstudio.com. It's not as
interesting or informative as yours, but does offer a measure of therapy
and relaxation, which I sometimes need.
Here's a post from my blog that you can share with your readers, if you
ever need to fill some extra space.
Keep up the great work ! Steve <<< Thanks a million Steve for caring
and sharing. I visited Steve's website and It's fantastic, to say the
least. Beautiful pictures, but then, he is a photographer, terrific
stories,...but then he is a photographer, and great graphics,..but then
he is a photographer. Did I mention he's a heck of a good singer too? If
not, it's because he's a heck of a good photographer too.
In case you missed it the first time. Try stevelarsonstudio.com and I'm
positive you'll agree. Steve is not only a great photographer,.. that
can sing, he has a super website,....and, I think, he can fish too. Time
will tell that better than I.
Maybe, just maybe, "we" can talk Steve into a pictorial review of the
buildings in town that are being converted from sailboat fuel storage to
viable businesses... Maybe.
----------------------
Almost all Gazette's include a couple "quotes". Often I include
additional ones as well. Sometimes family members share Quotes they feel
have special meaning for them. Such is the case with Celeste and her
most recent note. >>>
Gary - I look forward to your column every morning and if it isn't up
and running when I start my day I keep checking until I have success.
When you mention quotes I was in the antique shop Plain and Fancy in
Grand Forks on Saturday and I came across a sign with the quote that
really had an impact on me so here it is. " LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE
NUMBER OF BREATHS YOU TAKE BUT MEASURED BY WHAT MAKES YOU BREATHLESS".
Thanks for all you great messages! Celeste <<< Thanks for caring and
sharing Celeste.
++++++++++++++
Ruth Lykken student from Concordia College is practice instructing home
economics at Moorhead Junior high school. Miss Lykken is a senior at
Concordia, she belongs to the national honorary home economics society,
Omicron Tau Delta, and also the science club at the college. (borrowed
from a December, 1948 Walsch County Record.)
++++++++++++++
This weeks Firefighter Calendar Draw winners are:
2/6/2006 David Cyr $20.00
2/7/2006 Virginia Blomquist $20.00
2/8/2006 Melanie Midgarden $20.00
2/9/2006 Brett Olsen $20.00
2/10/2006 Kelly Lundquist $20.00
2/11/2006 Marlene L Niemann * $20.00
2/12/2006 Nancy Rud $20.00
Congartulations to this weeks lucky winners.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: