Monday, February 27, 2006

February 27, 2006 - Monday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

02/27/06 MONDAY
----------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by Willey's
Jewelry Store.
----------------------
The current temperature is 15 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 10/-10
Normal H/L temp for this date is 27/9
A few of the local "old folks" think it's going to flood this
spring, others think they're all wet. I feel equally strong both ways.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
Henry Oxnard is the man credited with starting the organization
that would eventually become American Crystal Sugar Company. The largest
sugarbeet processor in the United States.
++++++
The publication known as "Crystal-ized Facts" was an important
source of instruction and information for American Crystal's growers.
Stew Bass, ultimately retired as V-P of agriculture, became editor of
Crystal-ized Facts in 1959.
++++++
Al Bloomquist was instrumental in pursuing the idea of Red River
Valley growers buying American Crystal Sugar Company in the form of an
agricultural Co-operative.
-----------------------
Last night, while "researching" other issues in the Gazette
library. I started thinking about all the help wanted ads in area
papers. Where, I wondered, will all the help come from to fill all those
openings? Where, I wondered, will they all live if they come? Where will
they park? Who, I continued to wonder, would be responsible for
recruiting all that help? Then,... just as I was about to come up
with the answers for those very important questions. Someone else said
they needed the library,.... and my thought process went right down the
drain with the other "research" project.
HOWEVER, it is apparent that parking, at several local
establishments is, and or will become more serious as time goes by.
-------------------------
I'm guessing most, if not all of this years Summerfest visitors
are going to be pleasantly surprised when they see all the activity
going on around town. I does give us reason to expect the largest
Summerfest turnout ever. Or so it seems to me.
-------------------------
Even though the tournament (hockey) is over, the discussion
continues. Ralph sent the following. >>> And you handled the "disputed"
goal nicely. However, no one should be able to win a game that way. What
is wrong with the rules is that a wrong can not be "righted". If they
don't change that rule before the start of next years season then all
the big boys are wrong. Now that Stremick has got the school system back
in good financial shape give him something else to work on. Can't have
him sitting around the office doing nothing. (that is the last time I
will ever get called for subbing).
Now to really get in trouble, I never heard who they were, but the TV
sports caster just possibly did the worst job of calling ND high school
hockey games that I ever heard. Last night- "Well the momentum is
certainly with Central". Five minutes later- "Well the momentum has been
with Grafton for the last ten minutes." <<< Thanks a million for caring
and sharing Ralph. My experience with "changing" anything in high school
scholastics hasn't been very successful.
-----------------------
It's interesting hearing the various "methods" professional
news people are using to share the Mardi-Gras news with the rest of the
world.
In my opinion, and, it's just my opinion. There are tens of
thousands of folks that still have very little, if anything to
celebrate. The city of New Orleans is broke. I wonder how many homes the
two million dollar cost to cleanup the party garbage would restore.
Certainly I am not qualified to pass judgement, so I won't. I can,
however share the following note from someone that has just returned
from New Orleans.
The note; >>> Just wanted to say Hi! Gary from New Orleans. We
came back for our second Mardi Gras. The French Quarter was not affected
as much as other parts of New Orleans but repairs are on-going through
out the area. The local people have retained their sense of humor
based upon the t-shirts we have noticed for sale as well as those we
have have had conversation with. The crowds are not anywhere near what
they were last year. <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing. I am
pleased to learn so many are able to find some resemblance of sanity in
such tragedy.
---------------------
I am really pleased to pass along "our" first report on one
of Graftons newest businesses. >>> Gary, I went for a reflexology
appointment with Deb on Friday. It was heavenly and I highly recommend
it. Deb is such a wonderful person, too. I hope she does well in her new
business. It is sure exciting to see all of the activity if Grafton! <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing. Like I said before. Anyone
willing to hold my hand and rub my feet can't be all bad. Deb's cell
phone number is 701-360-1046, I hope she continues to do well.
------------------------
Speaking of doing well, the Gazette family tree continues to grow.
We received the following note from Wes over the weekend. >>> HI GARY,
My name is Wes French, (son of Damas). I left Grafton in 1953 (
16 yrs old ) to work in Mpls, Mn., so I probably won't remember to much
about Grafton. Anyway, our friends Norman & Barb Paulson came to our
lake home yesterday to visit. We got talking about Grafton and he told
me about the Gazette that you write. He e-mailed me the last two copies
that you wrote, and to my surprise, I know a lot of names on them.
Is their any chance of getting on your mailing list? I would like
that very much. Norman also said that you had written an article about
my dad when he made the first snow removing machine. You may not have
that article any more, but if you do, could you please e-mail it to
me. THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
WES FRENCH
My wife and I live on Blue Lake about 8 mi. east of
Zimmerman, Mn. <<< Thanks Wes and welcome to "our" Gazette family. I
have mentioned your fathers "snowloader" often over the years. As a
matter of fact, I operated it several times in 1959 and 60. At that time
it was attached to a cley-trac tractor. I do not keep copies of the
Gazette, although many past editions of the Gazette can be found on the
NewsFromGrafton.com web site. It is my hope that you will find occasion
to share a part of your world with the rest of your new found family.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or
so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: