Tuesday, February 21, 2006

February 21, 2006 - Tuesday

02/21/06 TUESDAY
EARLY EDITION
---------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you, in part, by Crosley Motors
Inc. Crosley a FINE car.
---------------------
The current temperature is 5 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 22/na
Normal H/L temp for this date is 23/6
My edition of the Farmers Almanac says we can expect snow to
spread east and another round of stormy weather.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
It might just be my imagination, however, it appears that Grafton
real estate is moving faster than farm land during a summer windstorm.
The house across the street from the Grafton Lutheran church has a
sold sign out front.
The apartment house my aunt & uncle Alice & Danny Lessard once
occupied, one I believe belong to Jack Bannerman at one time. Has been
sold to the folks that own the property next door.
The house with the giant porch on the corner of 7th and McHugh,
also a former Danny & Alice Lessard home has a "under contract" sign
above the realtors name too.
The former Butch and Pat Gillespie home most recently occupied by
Marlene and Ron Rasmussen has a sold sign across the picture in this
weeks Country Realty advertisement in the Record.
Combined with the rumor of a couple other "sales" in the last
while gives some credibility to the phrase. Grafton is on the move.
-----------------------
The Grafton Paint & Glass, W. F. Meier, Proprietor was the local
dealership for Crosley automobiles. The little giant boasted a fifty
(59) nine pound motor. The advertisement says. "No other engine on earth
is made like this great new Crosley "Cobra"! All steel, copper brazed
and weighs only 59 lbs. yet delivers amazing power, 4 cylinders,
valve-in-head, water cooled. Smooth, flexible and quiet.
"The most efficient engine ever built", according to Powell
Crosley Jr. the company's president.
For more up to date information, contact Colleen & Donald LaBerge,
they own the nicest little yellow Crosley in the country.
------------------------
The mention of the "ladies" softball league gave Todd reason to
write.
Gary,
I thought that was pretty cool about those four softball teams,
even if they were girls. I wasn't too surprised to see Norma Morgan's
name on the list. Playing ball whether it was softball or baseball came
pretty easy to us Morgans. Granddad Jack and I guess his dad Rilie
didn't care much for the game. We were supposed to be working - not
playing games. Those guys spent too much time working, nothing better
than a July afternoon hanging out at Harris Halliday field, especially
when you were supposed to be at work. wtm <<< Thanks for caring and
sharing Todd. Of course the "field" those ladies played on was Chandler
Field and probably the one on the end of 8th street. The word I have is,
they were pretty darn good at the game as well.
------------------------
Since I have the Records ear. I should share the following note
relative to the Days Gone By column. >>> Hello, One thing I would
like to change about the record is the small amount of people news they
place in the looking back column, I always find myself looking for names
of people in there rather than the price of a bushel of wheat in 1926.
It is fun to read the names of people I know of and the things they did
in there day. <<< Thanks for caring and sharing. I'll bet your
suggestion is one the Record would be happy to consider.
--------------------------
The Fifth Street Arena touched a soft spot in several hearts.
Keith sent the following note. >>> Gary -
Thanks for the memory tickler on the Fifth Street Arena. I
can fondly remember several things about it before and after the fire.
1. attending the "Days-of-Forty Nine" annual celebration
& indoor games.
2. the German POW's that resided there for a time, before it burnt
down.
3. the outside arena that was created after cleaning up the fire damage,
4. Bob Barr, Sammy Gjersvold and the others that kept the place "open"
(pun) for the public and helped a lot of kids with skating
sports.
5. Watching the Grafton Millionaires scrimmaging and then after practice
- allowing us little guys to participate by showing us the
"ropes" with a
little hands-on practice. KUDOS to them all! Memories are
great - Keith Mohagen <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Keith.
The list of names, associated with that arena must be a long one. It
would be great to hear some of the others and how they influenced
peoples lives. It is true that memories are wonderful, and I have many
of the arena and of those that hung around there.
--------------------------
Dennis shared his "memory" of Grafton's first indoor arena.
>>> Dear
Gary,
Your mention of the arena on fifth st. brought back a lot of memories
for me. It was my home away from home as a youngster. Towards the end of
World War II the arena on fifth st. was used to house German POWs. The
neighborhood kids would hang around there and were awed by the big POW
on all the clothing. Then my dad, Jack, came along and went right into
the arena on fifth st. amongst the German POWs. I was aghast. I guess he
had to measure for stove pipe or some such. In my eyes he was the
bravest man alive and a bigger hero than he already was in my eyes.
Thanks for the Gazette. Dennis Loos <<< Thank you Dennis. I was very
fortunate to be able to spend a lot of time with Jack myself. I learned
alot from Jack over the years. The "proper" way to cut glass, for a boy
growing up in a greenhouse, was pretty important. I was fortunate to
acquire the last glass cutter Jack ever used. As he handed it to me he
said with his sly smile, "and don't forget, never run the wheel over the
glass more than once, or, you'll ruin the wheel." Together Jack and I
learned how to back lap (sharpen) the Toro greensmowers at Fair Oaks
Golf Course, and the proper procedure for mowing the greens. I will
never forget that, nor will I ever forget Jack Loos.
-------------------------
Someone said I didn't suggest or mention all of the positions of
the hockey team and that they too may want to participate in the MEGA
RAFFLE. I'm not much into sports, but I'll take a shot at it.
So, maybe the Quarter backs, halfbacks and pitchers would like to
join in. With the short stops, the guys on the bases and the catcher
too. The point guard, the nose guard and water boy can't be left out,
and, I was supposed to remind all the "tight ends" to buy tickets too.
A $100.00 ticket will allow you to participate in shoring up the
Grafton Youth Hockey Program, in conjunction with the Grafton Blueline
Club. A ticket gives you a 1 in 15 chance at the Harley or 39 other
valuable prizes. Prizes 26 thru 40 are for $100.00.
The first request I received, is from a "Fisherman" from Denver. I
doubt he has ever even owned a pair of skates. A man born in New York
transplanted to Florida and finally to Denver. He has recently purchased
two pieces of property in Grafton in the past few months and believes
"our" Youth Hockey Program is a good investment. Thanks a million Nick.
I also received word from Richard T. in Florida and he's putting a check
in the mail too. I don't think Richard ever played hockey, but I know he
played a mean horn in the Grafton Parade Band. Now all I have to do is
find someone that has two tickets left to sell, so I can put Nick and
Richards name on them.
Holy Smokers,... I almost forgot.
I haven't heard from the red legged beach runner, or Ralph,
However, I'm sure if they haven't already purchased a couple tickets,
they will. Right guys?
++++++++++++++++
This weeks Firefighters Calendar Draw winners are:
2/20/2006 Ed Sevigny $20.00 2/21/2006 Chris
Frier $20.00 2/22/2006 Peter & Edie Brown
$20.00
2/23/2006 Jerry Hendrickson $20.00
2/24/2006 Howard Wendelbo $20.00
2/25/2006 Guy Demers $20.00
2/26/2006 Susan Summers $20.00
Congratulations to this weeks lucky winners.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or
so it seems to me. P.S.
Does anyone have the latest fishing report from the LOW?


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: