Thursday, October 30, 2008

October 30, 2008 - Thursday

Todays Gazette is brought to you with one good eye and one behind a
patch.
---------------------
The current temperature is 46 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 58/22
Normal H/L temp for this date is 46/26
It was 73 degrees on this date in 1950
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
Unfortunately, during the time I was fooling around trying to see
things better, I got frightfully behind in the mail room. Todays
Gazette, even by my standards, may appear much like our politicians of
late. Hard to understand. Anyway,.....
Kathee shared the following note from her desk near Parkers Prairie
Mn.: >>>>
I was happy to see the Gazette pop up this AM, then not so happy that
you had to go through eye surgery, then happy again that all went well.
May your recovery be speedy and complete.
As far as this small world goes -- Dean Carlson (no relation) was in the
same King Agassiz, Emerging Leadership class as my husband Gary for the
Red River Winter Shows in Crookston back in 1990. It has been fun to
catch Dean's columns in the ag magazines that sometimes pile up at our
house.
Harvest here is agonizingly way behind. Gary is just in the beginning
stages of corn combining. The corn is wet and requires heavy doses of
drying. Deer hunting season is around the corner, and Gary will probably
have to forego it this year to stay in the combine. Let's just hope that
he can keep ahead of the really bad weather and any heavy snows. I
recall it was Charlie's first Halloween in 1991 that we received that
tremendous dumping of snow that called a halt to just about everything.
<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Kathee. I hope the sun has been
shinning brightly on your farm these last few days.
++++++
A while ago I mentioned my frustration with the way some television
personalities deliver political propaganda. I speak not even so much
what they say, rather how they say it. I think I mentioned one
personality in particular named Keith Olbermann on the MSNBC network.
To that end, or maybe mine, Doug Weberg wanted to share the following:
>>>> Gary, Re: your comments on CNBC: don't forget the three morning
stooges and the evening "hatriots" on Fox News...and this area's radio
version of Fox...am1100..."the flag"(no false patriotism here) and its
morning show the "common sense club."
Does anyone watch the two C-SPANs? The coverage is largely devoid
of brief-sound-bites and allows viewers more exposure to differing
opinions. Dichotomies are dangerous...(ex. black/white,
good/bad,
conservative/liberal)and those that traffic in them least reflect
reality. Recommended reading: google "14 Defining
Characteristics of Fascism" by Dr. Lawrence Britt.
-Retired Social Studies Teacher <<<< Thanks a million for
caring and sharing Doug. It can't ever be said that the Gazette isn't at
least somewhat fairly unbalanced. I don't think......
++++++
Often, over the past several years, while driving by the former Rinde
Oldsmobile Automobile Dealership on the corner of Wakeman ave. & 4th
street I have thought about the Rinde's and wondered where they are and
how they are doing. I was so pleased today when I received the following
note from Bernice. Now, not only do I know, so too does our entire
Gazette family.
Bernice wrote: >>>>
Hi Gary, Sorry to hear of your eye problem and hope it will
continue to improve. We missed all your "news and stuff" about
Grafton. Dean was born and raised in Grafton and I worked as a nurse
there for many years. We lived there many years after we were married
and in 1966 moved to Rochester where we still live 42 years later. We
are both retired now and have been married for 55 years. My how the
time flies. We have two sons and one grand daughter. None of them
live here but we have a lot of good friends.
Wanted to thank you for including us in your Gazette and hope you
continue to get well. Sincerely, Bernice Rinde <<<
Thank you so much for caring and sharing Bernice.
++++++
I also heard from a couple of "our" Ohio Fox Hunting Friends today.
They can speak first hand to the issues of motel room rates and how they
effect folks that visit our community. Bill & Cindy wrote: >>> Gary,
Glad you are home and doing well. We were wondering where you have
been. It is amazing how quick the Doctors can work to "fix" something
and make it better. Quite interesting the rates of hotels and what they
have to offer. The fox hunters learned that first hand in your very own
town. You would think they would want to fill their rooms at a cheaper
rate, than a few at a higher rate, or so it seems to me! Take care of
yourself and glad you are up and about. Keep the Gazette coming.
Cindy and Bill Shininger <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing. "Our" Ohio Fox Hunter Friends
ultimately found their temporary home in Grafton at the Leonard Motel.
Because, they tell me, they get great rooms at the Leonard Motel in
Grafton for a FAIR AND REASONABLE PRICE.
------------------------
Speaking of the Leonard Motel, Gloria, sent the following note. >>>>
Gary, I really have been enjoying your newsy gazette... I am not
sure where I read this but I thought they were very wise words and mean
alot in todays world... with the election coming up it might be very
wise to understand your candidate and these words say alot.. " A
government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to
take away everything you have.."
-- Thomas Jefferson --
Gloria Charlton <<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Gloria.
My memory is alot like my eyesight,.... not as good as it used to be.
However, somehow not to long ago, I seem to remember putting that quote
in the Gazette. No-matter, it is a great quote Gloria and everyone
should be mindful of it.
=======================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
=======================
"It is perfectly okay to disagree with me. Because we live in the land
of the free."
Or so it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: