Tuesday, October 28, 2008

October 28, 2008 - Tuesday

10/28/08 TUESDAY
Todays Gazette is brought to you with my sincere gratitude and
appreciation of the Heartland Eye Care organization with offices in
Grafton and Park River.
-----------------------
The current temperature is 26 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 45/32
Normal H/L temp for this date is 48/27
It was 72 degrees on this date in 1937
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. most stuff.
--------------------------
Last Tuesday was the last Gazette I sent out. Missing the past several
days wasn't, exactly done, by plan. If I can I will "try" explain it by
way of a Readers Digest Version, so to speak.
For the past several weeks, roof tops, pickett fences and even folks
some might consider straight shooters, all seemed to have wavy or
irregular lines of one sort or another.
After hearing a advertisement on KXPO suggesting when things seem to
appear funny or if I should see squiggly lines, I "probably" have a
problem. So,... I stopped in and made a appointment with the fantastic
folks at Heartland Eye Care in Grafton. They also have an office in Park
River.
After telling the pretty young ladies behind the Heartland desk my
problem. They suggested that I be back there "no later than 1:15 the
next afternoon" (Tuesday). And,.. so I was. I was pretty sure, after
hearing Dr. Mark Helgeson's very first first "mmmm" that I might be in
trouble. After a very very thorough examination, Dr. Mark told me I
would need surgery ASAP. He assured me that just because "we" must
really hurry, "I" really shouldn't worry.... So I didn't.
Hence, I had to be in Fargo, at Retina Consultants, with Dr Mason
Wednesday morning at 8:45. After another extensive exam Dr Mason
confirmed the need for surgery so I was sent to see Dr. Yohi at Internal
Medicine Associates for a "preop" physical. So far, that encounter
proved to be the first test I was actually able to pass to that point.
After passing the "preop" I was sent back to the Institute for Special
Surgery and checked in for what would be the repair of the a "buggered
up" right eye. Dr Max Johnson performed the surgery. And, except for a
relatively short period of time, I was able to "listen in" so to speak
as the process evolved. I was very impressed with both Dr Mason and Dr
Johnson even before the surgery. I must admit, I am even more impressed
now that the procedure to repair the retina of my right eye is, almost,
over.
It goes without saying that the professionalism displayed by the Dr's
and their staff that I encountered while being treated in North Dakota's
largest city was fantastic. The efficiencies I experienced in Fargo's
eye care facilities was truly enviable, by any standards. HOWEVER,
especially after the events of the past several days, I am even more
impressed by the total healthcare system we are able to enjoy right here
in the Grafton area.
Dr Mark Helgeson - for those that don't know, is the brother-in-law of
Kennedy Mn. author and farmer Dean Carlson. (Dean also raises
sugarbeets)
It is reassuring to know that even in small town USA, certainly this
small town USA anyway, that we can, and do, have access to healthcare
that truly is second to none. Most of which, starts right here at home.
It really has been an interesting week, and, if I might be brutally
honest, not completely without pain. Some physical, although thats to be
expected. Some might be best described as trying, to say the least.
Our first nights stay in ND's largest city was in rooms less than one
might hope for (the facility was being renovated). No air, hot or cold,
and the desk "forgot" to tell us when we checked in. Anyway, the
rooms,... oops maybe I should add, besides Pat, our daughters Kelly &
Wendy and granddaughter Tiffany participated in my eye adventure. Now
then, the rooms were "only" $79 plus tax so I suggested we should be
happy don't worry.
Then, the night of the surgery, we found a better motel, a much better
motel, and, those rooms were only $50 each complete with a super
breakfast. Now I know it's often good or even right to mention names but
if I did. I'd have to say our stay at Fargo's Americinn was most
enjoyable. Of course I should add that the $50 room rate represented a
discount, given I believe to most if not all medical patients.
No matter, after my checkup Friday morning we returned home. While
doing so I had time to "revisit" the events of the past few days.
I thought how lucky I was. First that I have such a fantastic family
and that I know somehow those that couldn't be there, wanted to be. I
thought, again, about how lucky I am that we have the medical services
we enjoy in Grafton. Then, as I thought about the differences between
the accommodations of our two night stay in North Dakota's largest city.
I wondered. How, or even why should there be so much difference between
to motel operations less than a block apart. Then I fell asleep and
didn't wake up again until we arrived home.
++++++
Now then,... I've been home for a few days and spending 45 minutes of
every hour laying on my left side as per Dr. Johnson's orders. A few
folks called and several grandchildren stopped by to wish me well and
offer any help they may provide.
I'm getting 4 different drops and a shot of salve in my eye three times
a day and a pill morning and night that tends to make going to the
bathroom mandatory,... if you know what I mean.
Anyway, I've been told I can expect this basic regiment for the next
few weeks. AND, believe it or not, I can handle that. Unfortunately I am
struggling with one thing since my return home. This too, will be the
Readers Digest Version and I will let you decide.
The story: A young couple decided to stay at a local (Grafton) Motel
the other night. It was close to the midnight hour when they were
dropped off in front of the Inn and there was less than a dozen cars in
the parking lot. Upon entering, they were told a room at that particular
Inn would be $109.... yup..... ONE HUNDRED and NINE DOLLARS,... and I
understand they didn't even want to use the pool.
Now I wonder. How can a motel in a community of less than five thousand
people justify a regular room, not a suit, that costs $109? How many
people, I wonder, have actually walked away from that facility just as
that young couple did? I do know of several, although I'm sure I don't
know them all.
========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
========================
"If you can't say the things you want to say. The way you want to say
them. Then you're not living in the USA."
Or so it seems to me


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: