Sunday, April 20, 2008

April 20, 2008 - Sunday

Todays Gazette is being brought to you by Elmwood's Spring Theme
Luncheon.
====== May 3rd 2008 ======
-----------------------
The current temperature is 55
Al Gore's discovery of global warming is finally evident in the Valley.
All of our snow has melted and the trees are already starting to bud. It
won't be long, with a little more heat, and everything will be green
again.
It will only cost $6.80 to fill a two gallon can with gas in
Skeeterville.
===========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
===========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------
Grafton's KXPO / KAUJ Radio and Country Smokehouse "Taste of Home
Cooking School" extravaganza held at the high school was a HUGE SUCCESS.
Hundreds and hundreds of folks attended the event last Saturday. The
weather simply couldn't have been better and the same can be said of the
50 plus booths set up for the event.
It certainly was wonderful to see so many business establishments band
together to display their wares. It was also wonderful seeing so many
folks from all over the area attend. I met people from Park River,
Minto, Cavalier, St.Thomas, Drayton, Stephen, Grand Forks, Oakwood,
Neche and even as far away as Walhalla. I'm sure there were folks from
other areas too, I just didn't get a chance to see them.
I would like to thank all of those involved, for making Grafton a
destination city on such a beautiful spring day.
------------------------
Mike shared the following "sign of spring" from his home near Grand
Forks. He wrote; >>> Gary, for all pet owners, I picked a tick off
myself yesterday at work and a couple off my very special friend mooshay
the springer spaniel. Just thought I would pass along to all pet owners.
Mike S. <<<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Mike. I've been
scratching ever since I read your note.
--------------------------
I still have several (many) American Legion Baseball Calendar Draw
tickets looking for a lucky owner. Ticket holders will have a chance to
win $50 on the 22 weekday drawings and $50 for each of the 5 Saturday
drawings.
(only 400 total tickets will be sold)
Another way to look at it,.... is, all of the kids involve with
baseball win with each ticket sold. Only 10 days left to be included in
on the May Calendar drawing. Please consider helping the Legionaires
help maintain summer baseball.
--------------------------
The next note may give some folks the idea that my daughter Wendy is
her fathers daughter. For those folks, let me assure you. Wendy is the
kind of person that makes up her own mind, and (maybe a little like her
dad) she isn't afraid to share it. Wendy is speaking specifically of the
proposed Ultimate (extreme) Fighting event scheduled at the Centennial
Center during SummerFest. Some may remember that I too have stated I am
vigorously opposed to bringing such "entertainment" to our community.
Wendy wrote; >>>>
Although I am only ONE person (last time I checked) I will be one of
the first to say...If this is what summerfest has come to...I will NOT
be enjoying the festivities this year. I have always thought of it as a
GREAT FAMILY weekend to get together and in fact we have had our
"Nanagirls" birthday party SummerFest Saturday after the parade (she
still believes the parade has always been in honor of her birthday). I
will not support, in any fashion, violence, even if those in charge
CHOOSE to call it entertainment... Anyone want to go fishing and spend a
GREAT FAMILY picnic with the Arnesen's over that weekend with me?????
<<<< Thanks a million for CARING and sharing Wendy. I might also add
that Wendy and I are not the only ones negative toward the scheduled
Extreme fighting event. I am pleased to report that many many others
have expressed the same concern.
The chamber has not committed any money to this barbaric event, so
it's cancellation wouldn't cost the community anything. Although I have
not talked to every member of the Chamber board, I do know all of them
do not agree with the fighting event. If, the powers that be do in fact
decide our community "needs" such entertainment.
I most certainly would expect that ONLY those of legal (21) age would
be allowed to watch it, with no "minors" allowed.
--------------------------
----- PIPELINE - NEWS -----
The new "stagging area" west of the Developmental Center is proof
positive "some" rules and regulations, relative to animals with two arms
and two legs (people) can be very costly, if not exceptionally stupid.
Case in point. There is a Crows nest,... yup, I speak of those very
large black birds that eat other birds eggs and steel french fries out
of Westside Drive Inn's garbage cans. Anyway, there's a couple crows
nests in the trees in the middle of the "stagging area", SO the pipeline
company had to fence off an area 100 feet in every direction around the
nests. Mind you, the nests were empty, yes I did say empty. However,
that doesn't seem to matter. No-one can come within 100 feet of those
nest's.
I was told, the reason is, that black birds are considered migrants
and no-one can interrupt their migratory homes.
And, we wonder why it cost's $6.80 to fill a two gallon gas can!?!?!?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary, With much sadness I write to let you know that Grafton has
lost one of its best. This morning Carol DeSautel went to be with the
Lord. Her sisters Connie and Caryn need everyone's prayers in this most
difficult time. Paul DeSautel <<< Thanks for caring and
sharing Paul. I am able to provide the following information at this
time.
Carol DeSautel
(April 22, 1947 - April 19, 2008)
Carol DeSautel, 60, of Grafton, North Dakota, died Saturday, April 19,
2008 at Altru Hospital in Grand Forks, North Dakota.
Mass of Christian Burial will be 10:30 am, Thursday, April 24, 2008 at
St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church in Grafton with burial in St.
John's Cemetery.
Friends may call at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church on Wednesday
from 4:00 pm until 7:00 pm with a 6:30 pm Prayer Service and one hour
prior to services in the church.
(A full Obituary will be posted on Monday) The Barnes Family Funeral
Service, Henriksen-Kamrowski Chapel of Grafton is assisting the family
with arrangements.
========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
========================
"Don't just care. Care enough to share."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: