Wednesday, May 20, 2009

May 20, 2009 - Wednesday

Todays Gazette comes to you in memory of Gordon (Snowball) Olson. A
lifelong Agriculturist for American Crystal Sugar.
-----------------------
The current temperature is 47 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 68/31
Normal H/L temp for this date is 72/45
It was 91 degrees on this date in 1980
Some forecasters continue to suggest that we will experience
summer,.... sometime before the fall.
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
We are almost two thirds of the way thru May, and, so far not one
single Skeeter Bite. I can't be absolutely certain but I may have gotten
a bit of a Frost Bite Tuesday morning.
------------------------
If you enjoy fantastic fishing, fun, relaxation and unbelievable
sunsets. Check out the Arnesens.com website.
-------------------------
Those of us that knew and worked with Gordon Olson while he was a
Agricultural Sugar Tramp in Crookston Mn. would agree, Gordy was cut
from a very unique log to say the least. I doubt that Gordy ever met a
lady anywhere, that he didn't ask if she had had her heavenly hug yet.
If Gordy walked into a room full of strangers he would leave with a
room full of friends. To my knowledge, especially in his later years,
about the only thing that could really upset Gordy was when someone
would call him "Snowball".
Gordy always referred to me as one of his "hometown kids" so the first
time I called him Snowball, he said he would forgive me,.... one time,
and with a voice leaving zero tolerance he said, "but don't you ever
call me that again!". And,... so I didn't.
++++++
Glenn shared some of his thoughts on Gordy and the Olson family, among
other things. Glenn wrote: >>>>>
Hi Gary...
I enjoy reading Bert Overland's recollections because it brings me
back to my childhood days in Grafton.
I never really knew Bert because he was younger then me but I did know
his older brother Arvid very well.
The Olson family Ma, Morris, Glenn, Snowball and Elaine lived
across the street from us on Kittson Ave before moving to the eastside
by the creamery.
Ma, Snowball and Elaine were all very outgoing and fun loving
individuals. Snowball was a very close friend of mine. Mrs Olson's
hearty laughter will always be remembered. In the 5th grade Elaine sat
across from me. I guess she thought I needed some pepping up so when our
eyes met she would raise her skirt over her knees and give me that
mischievous smile. She was a part of our neighbor hood group. Snowball
and I went into the navy about the same time in 1943. In 1944 my ship
was in Pearl Harbor for a couple of months and Snowball was a boat
dispatcher at the Admiral's barge boat deck on Ford Island.One day he
came up and picked me up in one of their speed boats for liberty. Our
captain was shoving off about the same time in our slow motor launch.
Snowball opened up the throttle and we made a couple of circles around
the motor launch and created some waves while Snowball was yelling at
our boat crew and captain causing some embarrassment for me. During
his last years he had cancer . I took him to Rochester a couple of
times as did Vernon Useldinger another former Granftonite. He also made
many friends down there with his kidding and outgoing personality.
Morris and Glen were more reserved but both nice guys. Gordon of
course as you know worked for the Sugar Beet Company but also farmed
with his brother Glen at Crookston. Poor Elaine ended up in the a
Nursing Home at a fairly young age.
You mentioned Hank Newgard. He was also a good friend and we
spent a lot of time together here in Fargo. He played in the Legion Band
as I did and sold a lake lot to me next to his where we spent time
together. He is also gone.
I also remember when Bernie Desautel's nephew was killed by Red
Johnson's bat. I also had the same opinion as Bert. It ruined
poor Red's life and I think he ended up as a street person in Seattle.
Thanks for putting out the Gazette... Glenn Paulson. <<<<
Thank you Glenn, for caring and sharing your wonderful memories.
It's the exchange of memories such as yours that continues to allow us
to appreciate our past and enhance our enjoyment of the future.
Or so it seems to me.
---------------------------------
"If the house your living in doesn't have room for one more person. The
problem isn't with the size of the house."
----------------------------------
~~~~~~~~ TEAM - PHIL ~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~ RELAY for LIFE ~~~~~~~
Friday, May 29th Barbecue Fund raiser.
Hanson's Collision Center on the corner of Griggs Ave. and Fifth
Street in Grafton
Between the hours of 11:30 and 1:30.
========== MENU ===========
Brats - Hotdogs - Chips - Drinks - Cookies
All proceeds will go to benefit The American Cancer Society.
=========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
=========================
"Life is to short for long answers."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: