Tuesday, May 19, 2009

May 19, 2009 - Tuesday

It's hard to believe that fifty years from now, this will be The Good
Old Days.
--------------------------
The current temperature is 31 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 68/37
Normal H/L temp for this date is 72/45
It was 95 degrees on this date in 1948
It's hard to believe that a mere month from now the days will be
getting shorter, and I don't have a single carbon credit.
==========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==========================
L O C A L new & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------------
I must preface the following message in defence of Grafton's Honorable
Mayor Todd Burianek. In all likelihood, Mayor Burianek penned (typed)
his message of appreciation even before the last few pieces of discarded
litter was stuffed into garbage bags. The fact that it did not go out in
the Gazette until today is solely my responsibility,.. or lack thereof.
Anyway,.. Mayor Burianek wrote: >>>>
On May 14th Grafton held it's third annual City Clean-Up and I
write to thank the following for their help in this effort.
I thank all City employees who participated especially the
organizers of this event, Kenny Miskavige and Brent McMillan. The
Grafton High School Senior Class, High School Principal Darren Albrecht,
Activities Director Matt Fetsch, High School Educators Linda Paulson
and Sandy Irmen and Mark Buck. The Developmental Center Beautification
Committee. All of these people spent the morning cleaning the entrances
to Grafton and deserve the thanks of all citizens for making Grafton a
cleaner, more welcoming place for all.
We thank Schwan's for the ice cream bars; Associated Potato for
the potato chips; Embroidery Plus for the vests; the Walsh County
Highway Dept. for the vests; Ag Country for the napkins; Wally's for the
ice and Mac's Bottle Shop for the ice. Special thanks goes to newly
appointed City Council member, Don Hutson for manning the grill for our
lunch.
The workers collected over two truckloads of garbage along the
roads and ditches leading to Grafton. Plus, volunteers picked up the
remaining sandbags from Grafton's flood fight last month.
All of their effort is greatly appreciated and I am very
thankful that we have this event every year as we continue to strive to
make Grafton a better place for all.
Todd Burianek <<<<<
Thanks a million Mayor Burianek, for caring and sharing. I have always
believed volunteers, almost always, dedicate their time and efforts
without the requirement of, or need for special recognition. However, I
have also always believed that volunteers will always appreciate being
recognized.
Mayor Burianek's message mimics his dedication to facts and detail. I
regret that I was not able to get his message out in a more timely
manner.
Gary
-------------------------------------
Whenever I mention the Grafton Illustrated ------- A 100 Years Look At
Grafton, North Dakota, I received comments. Yesterdays mention being no
exception. Sue Votava shared the following: >>>> Hi, Gary,
I was interested to read your thoughts on "Grafton
Illustrated". This book is fascinating and is frequently accessed at the
library since I do some genealogy research from time to time. It's also
amazing how much has changed in the little more than a quarter century
that has passed since the book was printed. Some of us were wondering
just the other day if it was time for an update or maybe Volume 2?
Sue at Carnegie Regional Library <<<<
Thanks a million Sue, for caring and sharing. You may well have
planted "the seed" from which a newer edition of the Grafton Illustrated
will evolve.
--------------------------------------
While I was in the library yesterday I got to thinking about how some
things, some times, suggest things, that simply aren't exactly what they
seem to be.
Take Country Realty for instance. They're not "really" in the country
at all. Oh, they sell stuff in the country alright, but their office is
located at 7 west 5th street right here in Grafton. As a matter of fact,
they (the Country Realty folks) sell lots of stuff right here in town as
well as out in the country. The fact is, just yesterday I noticed the
Country Realty sign just a few doors down from our house had a giant
SOLD sign above it, and I noticed their sign on the end of Manvel Avenue
said SOLD too.
I decided two things for certain, during yesterday's visit to the
Gazette Library. The first thing I decided is, if Country Realty can't
sell your house, it isn't because their not working hard trying. It's
simply because nobody wants it at the price your asking. And, If we ever
decide to sell our home, we will ask the folks at Country if they would
be willing to sell our house in town.
---------------------------------------
With Minnesota's opening fishing weekend already set to history and
the long Memorial Day Holiday weekend approaching faster than an average
politician can back pedal. And, with the possibility that I might not be
able to participate in this years Memorial Day fish harvest. The best I
can offer, is the fisherman's prayer that "says it" much better than I
could ever hope to.
~~~~~ Fisherman's Prayer ~~~~~
I pray that I may live to fish
Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
I then most humbly pray,
When in the Lord's great landing net
I'm peacefully asleep
That in His mercy I be judged
Good enough to keep.
===========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
===========================
"Life is to short for long answers."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: