Monday, May 18, 2009

May 18, 2009 - Monday

Never underestimate the power of prayer and the Magic of Modern
Medicine.
-------------------------
The current temperature is 54 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 68/34
Normal H/L temp for this date is 71/44
It was 95 degrees on this date in 1988
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
---------------------------
Saturday was a fantastic day in this valley that was formed from
prehistoric Glaciers. In fact, the sunshine, warm temperatures and a
brisk breeze throughout the day Saturday was just what the doctor
ordered.
Or so it seems to me.
---------------------------
Speaking of Saturday, wonderful weather and doctors orders. After Pat
and I had a thorough discussion with Dr Kotnik regarding Pat's medical
condition. Dr. Kotnik signed my sweetheart's discharge from Unity
Medical Center.
As always, I was impressed with how much patience Dr. Kotnik has with
his patients. Folks in the Grafton area are fortunate to have such
wonderful medical facilities so close. And, when a really serious major
surgery and/or medical issue arises, we are also fortunate to have the
Altru Health Services facility in Grand Forks, just forty miles away.
---------------------------------
Speaking of health and the medical profession. I am pleased to share
the following message from George Cox
George wrote: >>>>
Subject: clean bill of health;
Thanks to all of you who have kept me in your thoughts and prayers –
I really appreciate all the phone calls, cards, and emails that you have
provided me with during this time of dealing with my cancer.
I went to the Mayo clinic this past week and was told that the
transplant was very successful and that I should go on with my life.
I really can't add any to that other than to thank each of you for you
part in my healing process,
God Bless,
George Cox
----------------------------------
I doubt there is anyone that reads, and uses the publication titled
Grafton Illustrated, A 100 Year Look At Grafton, North Dakota more than
I do.
Although I sent out the following "thoughts" in the Gazette several
years ago. I find it's content has even more meaning to me today than
the first time I shared it. On Nov. 11, 2002 I wrote. >>>>
For the past several weeks, or months. A local publication
entitled Grafton Illustrated, a 100 year look at Grafton North Dakota,
1882---1982, has taken a prominent position in my Library.
It doesn't seem to matter how often I look through it, I always
"discover" something new in it. As I view the picture of the Centennial
Book Committee. I am saddened by the fact that two of it's four members
are no longer with us.
Virginia (Mrs Les) Anderson. A lady I always felt displayed
dignity and intelligence to the envy of all.
Jean (Mrs Bob) Dahl. Jean could easily have be considered one of
the nicest, most mild mannered, ladies in the country.
Both of these women were true Ladies, in every sense of the word.
They both left this world a much better place to live, and, with a void
that can never quite be filled. I am pleased to have made their
acquaintance.
Gloria (Mrs. Lynn, Jim) Thompson. Started her community work in
Grafton as a Teacher. She has worked countless hours on as many projects
making our small town a much better place to live. People like Gloria,
with her profound determination, and winning smile, should be cloned for
future generations to enjoy.
Ina (Mrs. Jerry) Raumin. A strong willed, energetic, do it because
someone has too, individual, that is always willing to go out and tackle
the tough ones. I know the gene pool Ina comes from and I can attest,
there's none better,... anywhere.
Thank you ladies for all of your wonderful, very hard work. In the
afore mentioned book. I found a picture of the class of 1930. In the
upper right hand corner stands a man that could easily pass for Barry
Kingsbury. Of course, the photo is of Barry's Grandfather Harley
R. Kingsbury.
On the very next page is the class of 1946. Jack DeSautel, Robert
Boone, Marlin Torkelson and Marvin Lykken among others. I found my aunt
Isabel (Tootsy) Sevigny, as beautiful as ever, and Gordon (Snowball)
Olson an individual I worked with for several years at American Crystal.
I found a picture of Grafton Floral when it was located in the 400
block of Hill Avenue.
The 1956 Spoilers basketball team picture brings back memories
accompanied with a little pain. People like Ed Claussen and Assistant
coach Duane (Grut) Anderson. Does anyone know what "Grut" is short for?
Of that entire team only Morris Evan, who was student manager and Gary
Bjerke remain in town today. Ray Misialek, passed away just a short time
ago.
The picture on page 413 of The Red River Shrine Clubs nine man
bike, brought back memories of terrific Graftonites, no longer with us.
Men Like Alvin Mattson, Darn I miss Alvin. He along with his son Allan
built the bike. The last seat on the bike as I remember it. Often was
occupied by Graftons finest Chiropractor. Dr. Harold B. Blanchard. Dr.
Blanchard did for my family, what no other medical facility in the
country, including Rochester could do. He cured our three year old
daughter Kelly.
Ray Brown also spent his time on "the bike". Ray Brown and
Associates. done most of the bookwork for our family business for many
years.
A picture of one of Graftons early hockey teams. Number 56 Trueman
Mattson, Bob Kingsbury, Red Johnson, Art Oihus, Mason Fisher, Sid Foy,
Coach H.B. Ensrud, Ward Gravlin, Frank Miller, Jim Jackson, Hank
Newgard, Alan Nelson, Al Johnson, Bob Rassmussen and James Hagrenes.
Thats enough for now. From time to time I'll share some of the
contents of that wonderful walk through history in book form.
Thanks again Ladies for helping me help myself. Your work, and the
work of others like you, make this country second to none.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Grafton Illustrated was printed in 1982 by Associated
Printers, of Grafton.
========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
========================
"Life is to short for long answer."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: