Friday, February 20, 2009

February 20, 2009 - Friday

Todays Gazette is being brought to you by Mark Twain.
-----------------------
The current temperature is 10 degrees.
The "feels like" temperature is 10
Yesterdays H/L temperature was12/-12
Normal H/L temp for this date is 24/6
It was 51 degrees on this date in 2000
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
--------------------------
I could tell when I woke up this morning that it was going to be
my lucky day. I woke up at 3:45 this morning and couldn't go back to
sleep. How lucky is that, I thought. Once again mother nature doesn't
think I need a full nights sleep. After turning the sheets into more
knots than I ever learned in Boy Scouts. I decided to get up and
checkout the "everything you can't get along without infomercials".
The next thing I knew, it was time to head for Granny's,..... so
that's what I did. Granny's actually opened a few minutes earlier than
normal (with normal being 8 to 10 minutes late) this morning so once
again I experienced that "lucky feeling" as I walked into Granny's and
sat down.
That's when I really got lucky...... I won a brand new Cadillac
CTS worth $41,365.00. WOW!!!! I'm not sure what color it is yet, but I'm
pretty sure it'll be a pretty one. I would like to thank the
Bismarck-Mandan Elks Lodge no. 1199 and Roger Stark for allowing me
opportunity to purchase the winning ticket for the "Caddy".
Oh,.... I guess they haven't actually drawn my lucky winning
ticket yet. That won't happen until March 26 but when they do, I will be
the happiest lucky bugger in town. AND, I'll have a brand new Cadillac
CTS for sale.
I sure hope Jeremy will be in the market for a car by the end of
March. Anyway, if anyone else would like to help the Bismarck-Mandan
Elks Lodge folks pay for the new car I hope to win, give Roger Stark a
call and tell him you would like to buy a ticket...... or two.
THEN,... after I returned home from Granny's this morning the next
thing that happened came while Pat and I were on the way to Wally's
Supermarket to pick up a bunch of Monkey Pickles. We were listening to
KXPO Radio, (we always listen to KXPO Radio) everybody should listen to
KXPO. Anyway, the prize for the correct answer for todays question of
the day was two tickets to the movie Gran Torino staring Clint Eastwood
playing at the Strand Theater. The question...... What town is the
longest bridge in north Dakota located, and what river does it span? The
answer...... the town is Newtown and the river is the Missouri River.
The best part of that whole deal is,.. sometime in the very near future,
Pat will be taking me to the movies. I'm not certain if Tom and Tammy
will allow us to bring our own bananas to the movie. Then again hot
buttered popcorn probably doesn't go very well with bananas anyway.
Aren't small towns wonderful?
-----------------------------
Isn't it funny how some things can remind us of other things? For
instance. My good friend John shared, among others, the following quote.
"Never pick a fight with a man that buys ink by the barrel." --
Mark Twain --
It reminded me of a conversation between my father and Jack
Morgan. The actual content of the discussion has slipped into posterity.
However, I do remember Jack telling dad that it was obvious that the
'jack---' that made that remark in the first place, had neglected to
remember he was talking to a man that bought his ink by the barrel.
To that I might only add. It definitely is a quote worth
remembering. Right Ryan?
----------------------------------
My good friend John shared the following article with me. Reading
it made me feel good, I hope it does the same for you. >>>>>
Letter to the editor: People of N.D.
showing the way for the rest in the U.S. The Jamestown Sun -
02/07/2009
The other day I ran across a news
article on the Internet about North
Dakota's $1 billion state budget
surplus. Sitting in my home state of
Michigan, I wondered, "What are North
Dakotans doing that we aren't?" Of
course, there are many practical answers to that question, including
your energy
and agricultural revenues. But I settled on a more emotional answer —
and the
answer lies with the people of North
Dakota themselves.
Thirty-eight years ago, I was a young
airman stationed at Minot Air Force
Base. In the 14 months that I was
assigned there, I grew to know and love
the people of North Dakota. In a time
when those in the military were not
shown appreciation in other parts of
America, North Dakotans took a
different stance — they treated us with
respect and appreciation. I've always
remembered that, and to this day I have
a warm place in my heart for the people
of North Dakota.
But it goes deeper than that. In my
time at Minot, I grew to understand how proud and how hard working the
people of North Dakota are. Perhaps it's the love of the land, the
harshness of the
winters or the spirit that binds people
of the Plains together. Whatever it is,
you North Dakotans are a breed apart.
I'm just glad I had a chance to live
there so many years ago and become
acquainted with the people.
Yes, all of us in America face grave
challenges in the days ahead. I
understand that despite your budget
surplus, North Dakotans face the same
uncertainties as the rest of the
country. Education, job growth, health
care and infrastructure needs are
concerns for all of us. Yet, I believe
that if the rest of the nation had the
same resolve, spirit and work ethic of
North Dakotans, we would not fear the
future, but embrace its possibilities.
May the people of North Dakota
continue to show the way for the rest of the United States. Perhaps,
someday
soon, we'll take notice and follow your
lead.
Eric Anderson
-----------------------------------
This Sunday Holly (Demester) Perry will be celebrating the
anniversary of her birth.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLY, We Love You. Aunt Pat and uncle Gary.
========================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
========================
"Life is to short for long answers." GLM


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: