Monday, May 01, 2006

May 1, 2006 - Monday

SKEETERVILLE GAZETTE
05/01/06 MONDAY
REALLY EARLY EDITION
---------------------
Todays Gazette is being brought to you by Stewart Cairncross, Graftons
first mayor and his lovely wife Priscilla.
---------------------
The current temperature is 52 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 54/49
Normal H/L temp for this date is 62/37
Last years H/L on this date was 44/25
Weather conditions the past few days has been nothing short of pluvial.
The Gazette gauge only registered .30 in all.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
The Hut for making Pizza opened Sunday for all the folks that helped
rebuild it, and I understand the help that will serve the res of us in
the future. I haven't heard if the "volunteers" (Firefighters) that
risked their lives putting out the fire that ultimately gave the folks
that rebuilt the Pizza Hut gainful employment were invited to the
opening. If not, they will probably be invited on another "special"
occasion.
Anyway, for of us that have been waiting for a 'once around the
kitchen' house special. Today is the day the Grafton Pizza Hut opens for
business.
-----------------------
As I drove by the strand theater the other day, I noticed the marquee
has been redesigned again by something higher than it is. I'm starting
to wonder if that marquee hasn't been hit more than the urinal in the
boys bathroom.
More than once I've wondered why there isn't a "low clearance" sign on
the leading edge of it. (the Marquee I mean)
------------------------
Speaking of signs, the opening in the spring sign at the Westside drive
Inn, as I understand it, means May 9th. I'm still guessing the for sale
sign along side it, means the whole place is for sale,.... anytime.
------------------------
The Sign on the corner out front of the bp gas station continues to
generate positive comments. Keith sent the following. >>>
Dear Gary;
Your notice of the sympathy sign at Jet Oil was right on. I thought the
very same thing. I do not know who is sponsoring these messages, but
whoever it is, their heart is in the right place. Connie and her sister
worked for me at the washplant in Minto, for several seasons, as potato
graders. They were both excellent workers and fun to have around. Their
pot luck Mexican dinners are still legend! My sympathies to her family.
Sincerely;
Keith Bjorneby <<< Thanks for caring and sharing Keith.
+++++++++++
Kermit sent the next one that said; >>> Gary: Thanks for the
uplift....your love and spirit shine through as
you pass on the Chi. That creative energy of God's Spirit makes Grafton
a place one wants to be. Thanks and a thousand moire!
fan fin <<< Thanks a million Kermit. If your name doesn't suggest
Scandinavian, certainly your writing does.
++++++++++++
This ones comes from the heart, and a son of one of those mentioned on
the sign. He wrote, >>> I had the same thoughts, including getting a
picture. I will not have time. Could you? With a digital camera, and
then email it to me. Thanks, if you can. If you can't that is ok, but I
am still glad you wrote what you did.
Ralph Kingsbury <<< Thanks a million for your note Ralph. I regret that
I don't have the capacity to send you a picture Ralph. I only have very
limited electronic equipment. I will be surprised, however, if someone
else wouldn't do it. AND, put it in the Walsh County Record for all to
see.
++++++++++++
Barb Whelan, a candidate for our local States Attorney position, sent
the following message. Gary:
When I drove by the sign at Jet Oil, I have to admit that I wondered
who the "Jimenez" family was.
Although I was not personally acquainted with Mrs. LaHaise
and Mr. Kingsbury, both individuals certainly had name recognition for
me. Jimenez, however, didn't ring a bell.
After reading your comments in the Gazette, I was immediately
reminded of a cliche that I grew up with. My beloved (and departed)
dad used to tell me when I was acting "uppity" that "Jesus is no
respecter of persons." At the time I neither grasped nor cared what
he meant, and I would usually roll my eyes with the typical
disdain of a teenager who was going to really "make something" of my
life. I have been fortunate, however, to have opportunities to see
for myself that these words of wisdom from Dad were simply the truth.
Although my daughter Grace is only 7 years old - I hope that I am able
to pass on the same truth to her as she grows up.
My Pastor said recently . . . "The ground is level at the foot of
the cross." Whether we are rejoicing and praising, or in the throes
of despair, it matters not to our Heavenly Father what our worldly
accomplishments and possessions may be. He sees every person's
heart for what it contains, and what it strives to accomplish in His
kingdom.
Obviously those responsible for the sign of condolence at Jet Oil
have grasped that truth. Your comments served as a reminder to me
that earthly crowns have no value in eternity. I needed
that reminder - and I thank you for giving that to me today!
Barb Whelan <<< Thanks a million Barb, for caring and sharing.
+++++++++++++
This one comes from Bill, one of "our" Ohio Fox Hunting friends that
comes to visit the Grafton area every year. >>>
Subject: signs
Being an outsider looking in, 50 weeks a year, I also believe
Grafton is a great little community. Largely because of the people that
reside there. Don't underestimate the influence Gary Moe has on the
character of Grafton. Your attitudes and beliefs are infectious, or so
seems to me. Bill Shininger <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing
Bill. I am proud of "our" little community, and, the people in it. We
have "our" faults to be sure, but "our" intentions are honest and pure.
I firmly believe, "I am not entitled to anything, until I've given my
all."
----------------------
It's funny how fast news spreads. Friday evening, Pat started
experiencing chest pains. So, we headed straight for Unity Medical
Center in Grafton. (Some of you may remember I've mentioned how
important I believe Unity is to the Area.)
Anyway, after a thorough examination and a overnight stay at Unity
Hospital, I am very pleased to say that she is feeling better now,
everything seems to be ok and Pat is back home with Sami and me. Am I
ever happy that we have such a wonderful facility in "our" little
community.
Of course, had it been more serious, we would have went to a larger
hospital. (after stopping at Unity) Fortunately, that wasn't necessary
this time.
-----------------------
Speaking of family. Please welcome Robert LaBonte, Judy Suda, Katherine
LaBonte, and Barbara Bolz to the Gazette family tree. As always, I would
really appreciate hearing from new members so I know if the Gazette is
getting thru or not. I still haven't heard from several of the latest
"new" members.
--------------------
Speaking of families, rumor has it that the Arnesen's will be adding a
couple fishing guides to their Rocky Point Resort this summer. I
understand one will be using "little Eb's" cradle and Mark will be
training the other to hunt Northerns off the reefs. CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: