Tuesday, April 29, 2003

April 29, 2003 - Tuesday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

CURRENT WEATHER
The sky is mostly cloudy and the temperature is 36 degrees. A 9 MPH
north wind, puts a definite nip in the air.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 54/34
Last years H/L temperature was 46/32
Normal H/L for this date is 62/36
Todays Skeeter Meter reading is ZERO
==================================
profanity makes ignorance audible
==================================
L O C A L
Today is the first day the Westside Drive Inn is "open for breakfast."
So far it doesn't appear to be to busy. Actually so far I haven't seen a
car in the lot.
Somehow pancakes and eggs sound better on a table than the dash of a
car.
For those interested. The West Side Drive Inn (formally the A & W Drive
Inn) is for sale. If any of you snowbirds are interested in summer
employment. Contact Country Realty and make them an offer.
----------------------
Have I mentioned the Country Realty sign in front of Terry and Mary
Henricksens home also has a SOLD sign on it. Once again I ask. Why are
we still fooling around with a Grand Forks Realtor, when our own
realtors are the ones selling property in our community?
Just this morning someone mentioned that, no matter who's sign is on
the property, anyone can sell it. My answer to that is absolutely. But
not before giving the Realtor that listed it there commission.
---------------------
Our Leistikow Park Campground has a couple campers already using the
facilities. Both campers have been there for several days. For a small
campground it's great to see such early season activity, and revenue.
The park itself, is already starting to take on it's usual "well
maintained" appearance. Every time I go through the park I'm reminded of
men like Milton Johnston. Milton was the driving force behind the
"posts" that surround the park roadsides. The large flowerbed on the
east side of the park was also instigated by Milton Johnston. Originally
it was intended to be planted as the American flag although the slope
wasn't quite enough to get the desired effect.
The Blacktop road through the park was mainly through the efforts of
Buster Schumacher, among others. Buster spent many hours with the
business community speaking of the benefits of a hard surface road
through the park.
It's not possible for me to look at the pool, without thinking of Hugo
Kutz. Hugo spent hours and hours keeping the pool "open" when high costs
of normal labor and materials would have forced it's closing. I can
still see Hugo cutting used tractor inner tubes into 2 inch strips and
wrapping them around leaking pipes. Some of those "patches", lasted for
several years.
The stone pillars at the entrance to the campground will always remind
me of Raymond Misialek. Ray built them as well as the ones at the
entrance to Heritage Village. They are a beautiful example, of field
stone masonry.
I must also admit, most trips through our terrific little park, reminds
me of my Father. Of his concern that Leistikow Park would always provide
a beautiful retreat for area residents.
My memory of city park supervision, only goes back to the time of Tommy
Ganyo. Tom was in charge and Earl Stoltz, for the most part did the
work. Later, when Earl took charge, the Park transformed into one of the
best kept, nicest looking small town parks in the country. I will always
remember Earl Stoltz as the person that put our "city park on the map."
Memories, aren't they wonderful?
--------------------------
Just as I turned on the weather channel this morning. A beautiful white
horse, pulling a wonderfully decorated carriage, appeared on the screen.
It reminded me of my Uncle Leonard DeSautel. Leonard always used to
tell me. "If you ever hear me talking about horses, you can shoot me."
He would say, "people that talk about horses, and, the good old days are
getting too darn (I cleaned that up a bit) old." "I" he would say,
"never want to think that old."
ANYWAY, as I looked at that horse I wondered what Uncle Leonard would
say,... about the bag hanging from it's butt. My guess is, whatever it
would have been. Most of it would not be printable.
Uncle Leonard always felt there was nothing good about the old days. He
would say, "todays are the best, and tomorrow they'll even be better."
I sure miss Uncle Leonard. He wasn't the most opinionated individual in
the world..... I don't think. However one thing was always for certain.
When you left his place you always knew where he stood on an issue.
Aren't memories wonderful?
-------------------------
I received an interesting response from Tom Zidon this morning.
Relative to my comments, as well as Wallys, yesterday about litter.
Tom wrote:
re: trash pick up per Wally
Wally asks "Where have pride and responsibility gone?" And "Don't
parents teach their kids any more?"
I suggest that pride and responsibility and teaching kids is still alive
and well as demonstrated by the parents and kids that were out picking
trash on a Sunday!!! God bless them!
Thank you Tom, for caring and sharing. You are absolutely correct. The
world does have many more "good" people than "bad" individuals. Using
current vernacular Tom, people like you and Wally DeSautel fall into the
"leave the world a little better category." For that the whole world
should be thankful.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
P.S.
The Gazette has three open slots in it's subscription list. Yesterdays
Gazette was returned unopened from three Grand Forks Herald staff
members.
P.P.S.
While on the subject. If anyone else is tired of being "pestered" with
the Gazette, please let me know.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's to late.

No comments: