Friday, April 18, 2003

April 18, 2003 - Friday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

THANK YOU!!!!!
It was great getting home and finding so many wonderful notes. Thanks
to those that extended birthday wishes. It's aways nice to be reminded
I'm not as young as I used to be. However, I'm not as old as I'm going
to be, either.
==================================
profanity makes ignorance audible
==================================
Before I get to far off track. I must express our most heartfelt thank
you to Dianna and Nick Conigliaro for a wonderful time over the past 10
days.
To Julie and Tom Watkins for extending such wonderful hospitality and
tour around the monument area. As promised Tom, I will tell the world
how great your dinner was, and the dessert you spent all night
preparing. More on you folks later.
------------------------
THE TRIP TO "BIG D"
We left Grafton around 3:00 on April 7. we planned to drive all the
way to Fargo the first day and spend the night with Tiffany. As we
arrived in Fargo we learned Tiffany had previous arrangements so we
decided to continue on. After being told a trip to the "big D" takes one
long day, or at the very least, a good day and a short one. It was
apparent, the long day trip was "out the window". Our first stop was
Watertown, (Redlin City) We stayed at one of those Motels with doors in
the parking lot.
It was a nice little Motel, almost as clean as Sami's kennel. The
little old lady in the office thought Sami was sure cute and that she
hoped he would appreciate the fire hydrant right outside the door. (he
did)
The next morning, hoping for an early start. We left our room at the
crack of 9:00. By the time we ate breakfast, argued who would pay the
bill, and got on state hiway 30 heading south. It was 10:30 (approx.) I
decided to take hiway 30 as it appeared to be a "short cut" to the "big
D". (not Dallas)
Does anyone have any idea how many railroad tracks, stop signs, small
towns and cattle crossing there are between Shivercity and the "big D"?
We weren't through the first small town south of Watertown before I
realized one serious omission in my travel plan.
We should have synchronize our bladders before leaving. Actually, there
are several parts of the human anatomy that need synchronization before
hitting the road. Anyway, thank God for small towns, gas stations,
restaurants and gravel roads.
With our minds set on the "big D" and I don't mean donuts. We were
running right up there around the speed limit thinking the short cut
would save way more time than we could spend. Right about here someone
mentioned dairy farm, then someone thought Dairy Queen and wouldn't you
know it. We found ourselves driving south, licking ice milk and hoping
to spot a rest stop. (not many rest stops on state hiways are there?)
Going over the S.D.-Neb. border was relatively uneventful. EXCEPT, for
the water dripping off the bridge. It made a mess of the cruiser, and,
reminded some that ice milk is mostly water. So, the first thing we
started looking for in Nebraska, was a place to leave the ice milk, we
ate in S.D.
After a couple more stops, for Mother Nature, a wrong turn in one of
Nebraska's larger, small towns and taking on gas (for the cruiser) I
decided I better start looking for additional "short cuts" to save some
more lost time.
Getting off hiway 81 south of Columbus on state hiway 30, seemed a
logical choice. We started heading southwest towards Grand Island. For
those that follow this route, be careful. There's a gravel road between
Columbus and Grand Island that has more than gravel on it. Not to worry,
if you're driving a 4-wheel drive, or hi-profile vehicle. You shouldn't
have trouble getting through the area.
While in Grand Island I made another executive decision. I'm thinking,
if, we headed south west on state hiway 30. We wouldn't be bothered by
all those darn trucks on the interstate. Somewhere around Kearney,
Nebraska (remember Jim, Don, Bob, Janice and all the rest of the
Kearney's?) I started getting the feeling North Platte might be the best
place to finish our second days trip to the "big D" and I don't mean
donuts.
I'm tired of travel,....... more tomorrow.
==================================
After going through 67 e-mails (not jokes) I found myself going back
to one that really made me think. Please let me share.
The note was from Glenn Paulson. I found it interesting that Glenn and
I share so much in common.
Glenn has just returned from a trip, much like we did. Glenn is retired
after 41 years with the railroad. I'm retired, and, I have ridden on the
railroad. My father also worked on the railroad, as a brakeman, before
being paralyzed in a train accident.
Glenn was a telegrapher and ticket agent. I too have sold tickets.
Glenn mentioned being a radio operator for three years in the Navy. I've
listened to a radio, and, I've ridden in a boat. WOW isn't it uncanny
how our lives parallel?
Glenn, learned telegraphy in the Western Union Telegraph office in the
Basell hotel. I too spent a lot of time in the Western Union office in
the Basell Hotel. My Father operated that office, along with a flower
business for a period of time. I might also say, it as the bowling alley
and pool hall in the basement of the Basell Hotel, where I honed my
swearing and spitting skills.
Glenn mentioned graduating from Grafton High School in 1943. I too went
to Grafton High School. If, I would have continued, I would have been 43
before I graduated.
Glenn had Hulda Carlson at Chase school, and Cora Lykken at Central,
and, again I had the same. HOLY SMOKERS, Glenn could be a relative and I
don't know it.
Glenn lived in a little house on the north end of Summit Avenue,
although he says it's long gone now. I, on the other hand, lived in a
small house on the south end of Summit Avenue and worked and played on
the north end in our evergreen nursery. Both of those are also gone.
Glenn mentioned Lynn Ebert is his cousin. I know Lynn Ebert. I've been
trying to get him to adopt me for several years. Glenn also mentioned
Lynn was his last remaining relative in the area. If, on the other hand,
Glenn, you could convince Lynn to adopt me. You would have twice as many
relatives in Shivercity.
Glenn mentioned he may well be one of Shivercity Gazettes oldest
subscribers. I can't be absolutly sure on this one Glenn. If Harley
Kingsbury doesn't have you by a regular dozen, he's got a Bakers dozen
on you.
I'm also not sure if Loretta Mattson wants the whole world to know how
old Truman is. But I'm guessing Truman may have been watching you run
around the school yard at some point in time. Then of course there's
"poor old Wally" Desautel, not to mention others, that feel older than
they really are.
This was not Glenns first "letter to the editor". I truely hope he will
write more, many more. It is precisely this kind a action and
interaction I have been hoping and praying for.
Thanks again everyone, for allowing me to be a small part of you life.
GLM
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
P.S.
Always remember, if you prefer your correspondence with me to remain
confidencial. Please say so. If on the other hand I might use some of
your information, please let me know that as well.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's to late.

No comments: