Monday, April 28, 2003

April 28, 2003 - Monday

Subject: SHIVERCITY GAZETTE

CURRENT WEATHER
The temperature is 38 degrees under a clear sky with the wind from the
NW at 10 MPH.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 59/48
Last years H/L on this date was 40/32
Normal H/L for this date is 61/36
Todays Skeeter Meter reading is ZERO
==================================
profanity makes ignorance audible
==================================
LOCAL AND AREA
Yesterdays moderate wind, repositioned several grocery carts full of
empty plastic grocery bags around town. Lawn and leaf bags could also be
found filling the airways.
Rumour has it, yesterday was so windy, a few St.Thomas farmers actually
ended up farming in Larimore.
Those that knew my father, know he spent many hours a week picking up
other peoples litter. I do remember one time, dad grabbing on to the
steering wheel of our 1951 Ford Woodie to keep from falling out of the
car, reaching down and picking up a discarded beer can. Unfortunately,
the can was almost completely full,.....of beer,.... he hoped.
Now my father wasn't a particularly religious man. He certainly
believed in God, Heaven and Hell as well as the ten commandments and
didn't harbor an ounce of greed. On occasion, he would utilize words he
always described as pool hall english. When he felt it appropriate, dad
often would refer to people and things as body parts, never once
however, as to how those specific parts functioned.
In the case of the full beer can. I was almost positive, this would be
the one time dad would really let go and take full advantage of every
version of Funk & Wagnels four letter word assortment. Much to my
surprise, as dad was pouring out the contents that hadn't already
spilled on his trousers. He said, "Now, why didn't that guy drink this
before he threw it away?" Fallowed by, "and, if this can is full of what
it smells like, I'd like to stick it up his --- (donkey) and kick it
across Walsh County." Yup, (that's Norwegian, and so was my dad) that's
one I'll remember til I get moved into the old folks home. ANYWAY, I
received a note last night from Wally DeSautel that started this whole
train of thought. I would like to share Wallys thoughts with you and say
thank you Wally for caring and sharing.
Wally wrote;
Hi gary
Yes I missed the gazette, I thought you may have died and went to
heaven. They checked around for me and said you do not have any a
reservation there,
When I came home from the big lake this morning, Sunday. I saw two
families in the ditch picking up litter, people threw in the ditch this
winter. It is hard to believe, how they were picking up bag after bag,
and lined up on the highway to be picked up tomorrow by the highway
dept. Isn't it sad that two families would have to give up their sunday
to pick others litter? Where does pride and responsibility seem to have
gone ??? Don't parents teach this to their kids any more ??
See if you can jar a few people on this.
Many thanks old boy.
Poor old Wally
-------------------------
Aren't memories wonderful?
-------------------------
To that I would also add another of my "pet pieves." (pardon the pun)
It's people that walk their dogs over to someone else's yard and allow
them to "empty their colon." Then, to add insult to injury, they walk
the pooch up to a perfectly healthy bush (not the president) and watch
it turn yellow. And so it is.
==================================
"to know what is right, and then not do it, is the worst form of
cowardice."
==================================
Well, I think I've finally pushed the Grand Forks Herald over the
edge. It appears they have "blocked" the Gazette from entering their
E-MAIL room.
You may remember, Saturday I mentioned the fact that I didn't receive
Fridays edition of the Grand Forks Herald. You may also remember. I
mentioned not wanting to bother them with the fact that I paid for a
paper I didn't receive, and that I had to BUY another one, to boot.
I did say that, I DIDN'T MEAN IT. I really thought Michael Maidenberg,
Rona Johnson, Marilyn Hagerty or Marsha Gunderson would have gotten the
message and said, "oh darn, that shouldn't happen."
Unfortunately, even though I did include them all in my note. I
received a "we will not accept mail from that Shivercity Gazette
Goofball any longer." Or something like that. I think I did paraphrased
the message to some extent. At any rate, I have also included them in
todays note. If it's returned again today, I will have four additional
slots open in my address book.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The daffynition of a miracle:
Bobby finding,... and keepng, a job.
-------------------
Johnny Watkins idea of a perfect birthday gift. --- A television set.
The bigger the better.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's to late.

No comments: