Tuesday, August 29, 2006

August 28, 2006 - Monday

08/28/06 MONDAY
REALLY EARLY EDITION
-----------------------
Todays Gazette is brought to you by The "Legionnaires".
-----------------------
The current temperature is 68 degrees
The next few days will be suny and warm.
Fifty years from now,.. this will be the good old days.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
------------------------
Rumor has it the "Red Ram", of sorts, has returned to Grafton. The word
on the street is a "go-go" dancer left little to ones imagination at
Ekatta's one night last week. It sounds like the "cover charge" (pardon
the pun) was to cover the cost of "uncovering". Or so it seems to me.
------------------------
Elmer Sandager, Fritz Finger, Marvin Devig, and Robert E. Dahl made up
the group known as the "Legionnaires" in a 1955 Walsh County Record
edition.
-------------------------
I received the following note regarding "Happy" Chandler.
Gary:
You have covered the A.B. "Happy" Chandler day very good the past few
weeks.
My dad was a friend of Happy Chandler. Art Tallackson Sr. had a good
part in the celebration of Happy Chandlers visit to Grafton.
My brother Ross and I were drafted into preparing the Chandler field
for the big celebration. We used our farm truck to haul a mixture of
dirt and manure to provide a fertile base for the grass to grow on.
My dad received a signed baseball from Happy, sorry to say over the 50
- 60 years people have rubbed off the signature so now we have an
unsigned 60 year old baseball.
Because I am a politician I followed the Chandler career in Kentucky.
He was a great man and contributed generously to the American scene.
Harvey Tallackson <<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Harvey. Your 60 year old
baseball, along with the story of it, might make a wonderful
contribution to Graftons Heritage Village someday.
----------------------
It appears as though the folks at invisimax.com started thinking the
Gazette is spam again. The Gazettes I sent out last week came back from
all the invisimax addresses. I'm not sure why, and, their probably more
right than wrong. I don't know what I can do about it, only to say
dog-gone, bugger, heck, shucks.
-----------------------
Sharing stories and memories is the life-blood of the Gazette. Kaye
(Kieley) McFarland sent us the following. >>>
Dear Gary,, "Thanks for the Memories". Just back from Bob Hope country,
and the 65th wedding anniversary of Tom and Betty Kieley in Palm
Springs. Tom left Grafton at the age of 19 because of the "harsh" North
Dakota winters, but his heart has never left the Red River Valley, and
for years he has always tried to go back for Summer fest, so know a lot
of the Graftonites remember him as "Uncle Tom", GHS graduate. Another
anniversary is coming up fast—Jim and I will be celebrating our 47th
on September 5th. We'd like to offer a much belated "Thank You" to you
for tying the bows on the pews at our wedding. A delight that you
remembered that task of so many years ago. One more Grafton Floral
memory. On August 29th the year following our wedding, I gave birth to
the first of our four sons and the first grandchild of Clyde and Agnes
Kieley, second grandchild of Jim and Gladys McFarland. It was an
exciting event with long stemmed roses [from the new dad], large
bouquets of flowers from both grandmas [both widows by that time],
bouquets from Grafton Electric, Wally's,1st National [Jim's employer at
that time], etc.—all delivered by Grafton Floral. But best of all was
one small corsage box containing a small corsage of baby pink roses,
white baby's breath and baby blue ribbon, to be worn by the new mom in
the hospital. A gift from your dad and Peggy. They ALWAYS added that
special touch. What a treat for a new mom! Hope the fishing is still
good. There's nothing better than fresh Lake of the Woods walleye. P.S.
Spent an evening with former "Western Avenue" neighbor Tom Phelps and
wife Helene before our trip to Palm Springs. They were visiting their
daughter, son-in-law and twin grandchildren who recently moved to White
Bear Lake. Copied and shared the latest "Gazette" with them, to Tom's
delight. "Thanks for the Memories"!!! <<< Thank you Kaye, for caring and
sharing a part of your world with "us". Your certainly right about the
fresh walleye. Saturday evening we enjoyed a fresh caught walleye supper
(dinner for you folks south of St. Paul) at Arnesen's Rocky Point
Resort. I might add that I also caught a large northern Saturday as
well. In the interest of good sportsmanship - and, not wanting the slimy
mess in the boat - the big fellow was released to fight another day.
-----------------------
The Gazette subscription department was busy last week as well. Judy
Kamrowski sent the following. >>>
Kaye Kieley McFarland has been forwarding me you news letter and I
have enjoyed reading it. Would sure like to be on your mailing list!!
Having left the Grafton area 4 years ago, I look for anyway to keep in
touch with things going on there. Thanks. <<< Thanks for the interest
Judy. I hope you can find something of interest in the largest, "almost
daily", collection of babble Winnipeg and St. Paul.
---------------------
Susan Barclay sent the following. Giving us even more reason to
continue. >>>
Gary, I really enjoy reading your blog. My aunt from Pennsylvania sent
me the link to it about a month ago. Hadn't heard of it. I got to
reading through the previous months and saw something written about my
father-in-law. I printed it off for him and he really enjoyed it. Keep
up the interesting comments, from what I can tell, a lot of people like
to read it.
Susan Barclay <<< Thanks a million Susan. I'm guessing you've been
reading the "archives" on www.newsfromgrafton.com
++++++++
The Gazette has found it's way into several area news media computers.
The Walsh County Record, Grand Forks Herald, and the Fargo Forum to
mention only a few. KXPO will now be in the mix. >>> Hi Gary,
I am wondering if you could add me to your mailing list. I am currently
employed at KXPO in the sales dept. Thank you.
Sherry O'Toole <<< Thank you Sherry,
I'm pleased to welcome you and the Grafton KXPO radio organization to
"our" Gazette family.
++++++++
The next one comes from a wonderful young lady who not only is the
sister of "our" mayor, she is the wonderful wife of the top man in the
Grafton branch of world renown Marvins Windows and Doors. >>>
Gary,
I am hoping we can get on your mailing list. Friends have
forwarded the Gazette to me in the past, and I have really enjoyed
them. Thank you and keep up the good work!
Tara Halvorson <<< Thank you Tara and welcome to the Gazette family.
It'll be great having someone with the key to Marvins board room, AND,
the Mayors office in our midst. P.S. Friday night I had the opportunity
to shake hands with Bill Marvin and chat with him for a minute while he
was eating "dinner" at Arnesen's Rock Harbor Lodge. Every time I talk
with him, he never fails to ask, "are we treating you folks alright?".
++++++
Laurie sent the following. >>>
Gary,
Hi, this is Laurie Allmaras and I would like to be added to your
mailing list. Thank you! <<< Thank you Laurie. We will be pleased to
include you in the Gazette family.
--------------
Rocky Point summer resident, Barb Hokanson, has also requested becoming
a Gazette family member. Barb is retired high school English teacher. I
hope she doesn't use a red pencil while reading my babble. Welcome Barb.
--------------------
I should remind everyone again. If you would like to share "anything"
in the Gazette, and prefer I not include your name, simply say so in
your message and you name will be withheld and kept strictly
confidential between you and me. No one else will ever know. Of
course,... I will always reserve the sole right to send it out or not.
------------------
I would really appreciate hearing from those that haven't already
responded letting me know that you are receiving the Gazette without
incident.
The Gazette goes out to folks in 23 states, Canada and Mexico.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so
it seems to me.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: