Tuesday, August 01, 2006

August 1, 2006 - Tuesday

08/01/06 TUESDAY grp 5 of 20
---------------------
Todays Gazette is brought to you by
EMMA LYNN BJORNEBY
Christine & Christopher Bjorneby's brand new baby girl. CONGRATULATIONS
to mom and dad and to Joleen & Keith Bjorneby and Linda & David
Schumacher the proud grandparents of the pretty little sweetheart.
---------------------
The current temperature is 62 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 88/57
Normal H/L temp for this date is 83/57
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
As I was partaking of the juice of the coffee bean this morning at
Granny's, I got to wondering. What ever happen to the little red wagon
Charlie Hann used to pull around Grafton.
I know his original Radio Flyer one was destroyed by a couple buffoons
that hijacked him in an alley. The one I'm thinking of, is the one Wayne
Coulthart built for Charlie.
I posed the question to a few guys Monday morning and one suggested
that it may well be in the Smithsonian Institute,... alongside Archie
Bunkers stuffed chair. To that I could only add,.. If it isn't, it
certainly could be.
Anyway, I'm thinking, if, it could be found, it certainly would be a
fitting addition to Grafton's Heritage Village collection of memorable
Grafton resident memorabilia.
~~~~~ Speaking of Heritage Village. I understand - from the page on
Graftons home channel three - that the "Village" is looking for four (4)
volunteers for it's board of Directors.
Then I got to thinking. Wouldn't it be fantastic if one or more of
those volunteers would also become a major monetary benefactor of the
Village.
Then I got to thinking. Had Ralph Engelstad grown up in Grafton, and,
had he been willing to "bequest" the significant dollars he did UND. The
future of "our" hospital, fire & ambulance, park & sports facilities,
and every house of worship in the community could enjoy perpetual
financial independent longevity. Or so it seems to me.
Then,... I was reminded of the letter to the editor a gentleman from
Park River wrote a while back. He mentioned something about Park River
not receiving anything from Marvins Windows last "appreciation" bonus.
THEN, I was reminded that, apparently, one of Park Rivers largest
business construction projects of late, namely their new medical
facility addition, didn't think it was important to use Marvins windows
in it and went else where for glass to keep out North Dakotas various
weather conditions,... not to mention the skeeters.
THEN, I got to wondering. Will "our" medical facilities be able to keep
pace with the growing technical demand of the times? Gosh I sure hope
so.
---------------------
Speaking of facilities. I mentioned something about the Alchem
operation yesterday and received the following in it's regard. >>>
I see you mentioned Alchem's smell in the Gazette. It appears this is
getting to be a pretty hot topic in Grafton from reading the Record.
Looking into my crystal ball (No pun intended) I see that in the future
the taxpayers will be called upon to fork over some tax money to help
get rid of the odors. The picture is still a little fuzzy, but what I
think I see is the owner implying (or maybe saying outright) that unless
someone (Read that YOU AND I) helps foot the bill to get the company
back into environmental compliance he will be forced to shut the doors
and lay off his employees, and stop buying corn from local farmers. So
(here's the part that comes through REAL CLEAR) city, county, state, or
federal government, or some combination of the four entities will decide
it's in the best interest of the public to keep the doors open, the
employees employed, and an outlet for the farmers corn open. So they
will find funds to "clear the air" so to speak for the Grafton
residents, at a cost to the taxpayers of a much larger area than the
strongest winds could ever blow the stench. Oh, and I think I see the
owner of Alchem laughing all the way to the bank. I'm not sure, but I
think it's a Jamestown bank, not a Grafton bank.
P.S.-- I wonder what % of the annual operating budget of the facility
has been earmarked for environmental issues the past, say 10 years.
P.P.S.-- I read an article this spring that spoke of all the new ethanol
plants being built, and it said that a new plant that cost $100 million
to build would pay for itself in ethanol production in less than one
year at current profit levels. I wonder what those facilities smell
like? <<<<
I don't know what I can add to that, except to say, I believe the
Gazette is still getting into the Chamber office and that of the Mayor
among many others.
-----------------------
Did I mention the Grafton Floral 60 year celebration? Have I mentioned
that even a few years before that, dad traveled the northern valley
selling nursery stock. Have I mentioned how important folks like the
Green, Baldwin, O'Conner and Whelan families by St. Thomas were to dad
staying in the Valley. Or, that Milton Johnston, the Swanson's, Fedje's,
Osowski's and Egeland's all gave dad encouragement and reason to stay.
Then of course, there was the young Sevigny girl, named Helen. The lady
I always called mom. Certainly, no matter what anyone else ever says.
She, was the major reason my dad left Bottineau County for the Red River
Valley of the North. It was, to a large degree, the reason dad decided
to expand his horizons from simply selling nursery stock to opening up a
flower shop in the 400 block of Hill Avenue. Later moving the Main Shop
and greenhouse operations to it's present location on the corner of
Summit and 10th street. Grafton Floral, for awhile, also operated a
second floral shop in conjunction with a Western Union office in a small
space on the north side of the Basell Hotel.
Jim Carlson and Adrian Sevigny were among the many that worked in the
downtown shop.
Memories,.. aren't they wonderful?
Did I mention that tomorrow (Tuesday the 3rd) is A.K.'s birthday. Happy
birthday A.K. We are sure proud of the way you are taking care of the
business our father started over 60 years ago. With love and
appreciation Pat and Gary
----------------------
This weeks firefighters calendar draw winners are:
7/31 Jerome Hoffart $20
8/1 Sharie Nelson $20
8/2 Dion Anderson $20
8/3 Jason Haats $20
8/4 Mike DeSautel * $20
8/5 Linda Aguado $20
8/6 James Dusek $20
Congratulations to the lucky winners.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or so it
seems to me.
P.S.
Thanks Kermit, for the wonderful note and fantastic pictures.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: