Monday, April 06, 2009

April 6, 2009 - Monday

Today's Gazette comes with a reminder that the Summer
Baseball Season is just around the corner. And, along with that is the
annual American Legion / Grafton Baseball Program May Calendar Draw.
--------------------------
The current temperature is 29 degrees.
Yesterdays H/L temperature was 30/22
Normal H/L temp for this date is 47/27
It was 80 degrees on this date in 1980
=========================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
=========================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
-----------------------------
Saturday morning we drove to Edinburg to congratulate Bernice
Flanagan and tour the "Biggest little General Store in ND." I have
always thought the drive between Grafton and Edinburg was a pretty one.
Saturday I learned that the "tour" thru Edinburg's General Store is also
a wonderful experience. If you've never there, it's worth the trip. If
it's been awhile since you've been there, you just may be surprised at
what you'll find know.
Congratulations Bernice, for the past 16 years you have made
Edinburg proud.
--------------------------------
After having a Chocolate Sundae on the original Ice Cream Counter
from Nash where Hank Monson was the proprietor, we stopped off at the
KXPO Home & Farm Show being held in the Park River school gymnasium.
It sure is wonderful seeing businesses from throughout the area
all gathered together under one roof caring and sharing their wares.
I truly enjoyed talking with folks I haven't seen in a good many
years.
----------------------------------
There is lots to do in small towns. All you have to do is be there
to enjoy it. >>>>
Hi Gary,
Karly and I went to see FOB's production of Steel Magnolias last
night. Sunday afternoon is their final show. I would highly
recommend seeing this.
Steel Magnolias is one of my favorite movies and I could actually
envision Sally Fields in Sarah Nelson's performance. Rebecca Lessard
performed Miss Clairee's role to perfection. The entire cast was
awesome. They had us laughing and crying. What made this show
even more special to my heart is that it was dedicated to Kelly Andrews
and her mom, Kris. It seems fitting since it is almost the one year
anniversary of Kelly's passing. Kris donated some of the memorial
money she received to support something that was always very special to
Kelly.
Bev <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Bev.
--------------------------------
Several folks mentioned how pretty all the girls looked Saturday
night during the Grand March at Prom in Grafton.
Unfortunately, according to several notes I've received, some of the
antics during the Grand March proved to be significantly less than
desirable. Nufff said.
-----------------------------------
Christine shared the following thoughts from "Her Island
East of Drayton". >>>>
Hi Gary, just wanted to send you a note and say thanks for the
Gazette. My husband hooked up the computer for a short time so I could
check my emails, we have no electricity at our house and are surrounded
by water. The final pole went into the Red River last night near our
home on the Minnesota side by Drayton so we are using generators,
hopefully they will hold up. I am impressed with PKM as they tried to
keep our electricity on as long as possible, even bringing a boat into
the icy waters to by pass our line, unfortunately, there is nothing they
can do now until the water goes down. We are trying to keep our spirits
high and praying the water won't breach our dike. I just wanted to write
you so my Papa Lou's BBQ sauce businesses in your neck of the woods
will know why I was unable to come with sauce this week. Sending out
blessings to you and the Shivercity Gazette family from our little
"island."
Christine Jensen <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing Christine. If the good
Lord's willing, and the creek quits rising, you'll be out and about in
no time.
--------------------------------
Speaking of Drayton and memories. The following note brought back
both. Subject: Please add my e-address to your mailing list...
It's so nice to hear "news" about North Dakota:-) I'd
like to be
added to your SHIVERCITY GAZETTE e-mailing list:-)
Steve Lessard sent me a copy so I could learn what was going on in
Grafton:-)
I'm Velda Fay [Fennell farm between Drayton & Grafton] and my e-address
is
attached.
Look forward to seeing more of your GAZETTE:-) <<<< Thanks a million
Velda and welcome to the Gazette family. I am guessing
that we probably have never met. I am also "guessing" that you just
might be related to the Elmer Fennell (from Stan's Cafe) that I remember
so well. As a matter of fact, Elmer's demeanor taught me, at a very
young age, the significant importance that a pleasant attitude can have
on the customers of a business.
I will never forget Elmer's "whistle" and his warm smile as he
stood behind the counter of Stan's Cafe. It was a rare time indeed that
Elmer wouldn't be whistling as he walked back and forth to Stan's from
his home on Cooper Avenue and Fifth Street.
Aren't memories wonderful?
--------------------------
It's almost American Legion Baseball season. And, it's the time of
the year when the Legion Baseball folks sell their May Calendar draw
tickets. The Calendar drawing is one of the league's major fund raisers.
Over the years many Gazette family members have contributed to the
Legion Baseball program. I/we are hoping you might consider doing the
same this year. Tickets are $20 each and the checks should be made
payable to Grafton Baseball. The drawing is held each day in May so we
don't have a whole lot of time to get the tickets in.
I'll mention more on the drawing in the next Gazette. Thanks for
now. Gary
----------------------------------
Hi Gary,
Have to agree with Connie. Middle class America started with the Detroit
Auto Workers. If left to Big Business, we wouldn't exist. Unions are the
equalizer between the working person and management. JoAnn Wentz <<<<
Thanks a million for caring and sharing JoAnn. I'd guess
there are as many pros and cons regarding unions as there are members
and non members of the bargaining unit.
Personally, I've been on both sides and I feel equally strong,....
both
ways.
=======================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
=======================
"Life is to short for long answers."


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they
are,..... before it's too late.

No comments: