Tuesday, July 25, 2006

July 25, 2006 - Tuesday

07/25/06 TUESDAY grp 5 of 20
---------------------
Todays Gazette is brought to you by Murphy's Law. Murphy is a
frequent visitor to the Gazette.
---------------------
The current temperature is 69 degrees.
The question of the day seems to be. How much drier can it
actually get?
It was so darn dry last week, I had to rinse the dust off the
walleye's before I put them in the live well.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news & stuff,.. mostly stuff.
----------------------
CORRECTION!!! It is a fact, someone did tell me the Vistads
bought a home in the Eastwood addition of Grafton. I believe that part
is true. The part about Jim wanting the Kitchen and the bathroom on the
same floor is probably also true.
Unfortunately, the DeSautels were not aware of the "rumored" plan
at all and probably will continue living across the street from the
Kieley's. It appears, now, that the Vistads will be mowing the lawn that
I sold Ernie and Joyce Nyman Park Kentucky Bluegrass seed for several
years ago. The home is in the Eastwood addition, it's just on the south
end and not the north.
That is of course, if the phone calls and the following note are
accurate.
John wrote: >>> Hi Gary and the Queen, Welcome home.
We have missed the Gazette and both of you. It was surely fun to hear
about you and that monster fish. I just can't believe a ten thousand
year old fish can still fight like that. AMAZING! Are you sure that Jim
and Cheryl didn't buy Ernie and Joyce Nymans old house instead, from the
young Larson family that left town? I could be wrong, but that's what I
was told. Thanks for all you do for everyone and our town. John
Maxwell <<< Thank you John, for kicking Murphy out of the Gazette. It
does make more sense as I can remember Jim telling me once that he
always wanted to live on the south end, and, he certainly will be now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's so darn dry, the mud on the bottom of the lake has turned to
dust.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's been a long time since I've heard from Scott Hove. He shared
the following information about his cousin Dave Schumacher. >>> Gary, My
cousin, David Schumacher, recently flew into Las Vegas in order to pick
up his son's vehicle which had remained stuck in Kingman, AZ following
an accident (everyone is OK). Anyway, I picked David up at the airport
and drove him down to Kingman so he could drive it back to Grafton.
He told me of his visits with you and I knew then that I had
to let you know this: While in Kingman, David spotted some money on the
ground. He picked up $0.08 (all pennies) and was able to pocket it! The
significance of this: most people who come to Las Vegas go home and tell
everyone how much they won (as if this place is growing like it is
because everyone wins when they're here) but; I can vouch for David! He
came to Las Vegas and left ahead of the game and he didn't even have to
touch a slot machine!
Because of his great luck, I would assume some of you guys will probably
hit him up for coffee when he's back in Grafton. Best wishes,
Scott Hove <<< Thanks a million for sharing Scott. I might expect Daves
recent "windfall" to have a positive impact on the price of gas at the
station.... Then again, I might not.
-----------------------
Often, resolutions like those at new years and special
celebrations are made, then broken. The following message is a somewhat
different attempt at keeping one. A subscriber wrote: >>> Welcome home
Gary. Glad to hear your fishing stories including the one that got away.
I saw a note in today's (July 24, ) Grand Forks Herald about a Red
River International Bike Tour next summer. It will start in Grand Forks,
head north to Canada and return to East Grand Forks. 316 miles in 5
days. It's been a while since I rode 50-60 miles in a day much less 5
days in a row but I have a year to train for it. I am telling you as a
means of keeping a promise to make this journey. If I say it I have to
do it.
Feel free to mention the bike tour but I'd rather not be named if
you do. Thanks. <<< Thanks for caring and sharing. As you requested,
only you and I will know the author. So,... I am hoping you will keep
"us" informed on the progress your making getting ready for the event.
-------------------
I am very pleased that I can share the following message from
Kathee Carlson. She wrote: >>> I loved the story of your dad making
Kaye's wedding extra special. I can almost hear him humming away as he
and his helpers put the special touches in the sacristy. He especially
seemed to enjoy wedding work, and whenever I entered Grafton Floral,
even after I was no longer working there, I had the urge to "check the
hook" on which hung the clip board with the pending wedding orders. I
was glad that I got married in Grafton so that my wedding order could
hang on the hook--even though by then it was you, and not your dad, who
took care of my flowers.
Kathee <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Kathee. Later on this
summer, Grafton Floral will be celebrating 60 years of memories in the
Grafton area. We, Pat and me, are especially proud to have played a part
in the Grafton Floral tradition.
I can still hear dad telling young ladies while they were ordering
their wedding flowers, "This will be the most important day of your
life. You will provide the beauty, my flowers will enhance the
occasion." Over the years I can also remember my mother, my step mother,
and numerous other Grafton Floral staff members say much the same.
Aren't memories wonderful?
----------------------
Wouldn't you know it, after all these years I finally come
up with a "real",.. truely real, fish story and then I received the
following in yesterdays notes.
Marjie wrote: >>> Fish tales...Never thought I'd have one of
my own
to share.
My son and I stepped out onto our front porch this afternoon after a
strong thunderstorm which dumped a large amount of rain and
softball-sized hail in Orlando I was told. We couldn't believe it when
we saw a catfish on the driveway. Then we discovered five more along
the driveway going towards the street. They squiggled their way into the
gutter which was still flowing strongly with rain water. Two went away
from the storm sewer and one was rescued and released into a retention
pond near my house. Unfortunately the others all went down the drain.
I live about 5 miles from an 18,810 acre lake, Lake
Tohopekaliga(Lake Toho) teaming with bass and it appears, catfish.
I've read that strong storms can pick up fish and frogs and release them
a few miles away. I have never seen this before. I'm going to look for a
fish resistant umbrella.
Marjie <<< Thanks a million for caring and sharing Marjie. Marjie
did send a photo with the note, however, lack of time, space and
technical savy doesn't allow it's inclusion.
Fishings never been quite that good on Lake of the Woods.
Although, if I remember right, John Gudajtes did say when he got off
Arnesen's launch that the "fish were just jumping in the boat". That too
was probably caused by a high winds,.... Johns.
Or so it seems to me.
---------------------
This weeks winners in the firefighters calendar draw are: 7/24
David Hanson * $20
7/25 Alvin Dykema $20
7/26 Betty Machart $20
7/27 Tom Gerszewski $20
7/28 Daniel Olivarez $20
7/29 Marty Andrews $20
7/30 Brian Kristjanson $20
I should also mention that James Loos, Eileen Bolek and Don Hutson
were among last weeks lucky winners.
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================
The Gazette works best, when the folks that read it, write it. Or
so it seems to me.
P.S.
I am starting to develop a twitch, again, in the arm I use to set
the hook in the upper lip of a walleye. If, you should notice that the
Gazette is missing. It could well be that I am out receiving proper
therapy at Rocky Point.


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: