Tuesday, June 20, 2006

June 20, 2006 - Tuesday

06/20/06 TUESDAY grp 5 OF 20
---------------------
Todays Gazette is brought to you by the dozens of folks needed to plan,
organize and carry out a myriad of things required for a successful
small town celebration.
---------------------
The current temperature is 62 degrees.
The forecast for the week calls for super summertime celebration
weather.
The local skeeter meter reading is zero.
==================================
"Profanity makes ignorance audible."
==================================
L O C A L news and stuff,.. mostly stuff.
---------------------
It would be interesting to know how many "Graftonites" are heading for
home this week.
---------------------
Sunday, as we came into town from the east. I was surprised to see a
giant tent set up across the street from Schumachers in Wally's
SuperMarket parking lot. As I approached it, my first thought was a
circus had come to town for Summerfest. I even noticed a giant (even for
a circus) bull standing in the southwest corner of the parking lot. I
slowed down hoping to catch a glimpse of an elephant grazing on a bale
of hay. (I like elephants, I think we even share the same appetite.)
Anyway,.. upon closer inspection, I noticed it wasn't a circus at all.
It was the home of Wally's giant new fireworks store, and that's no
bull. It's a big top tent loaded with stuff to blow-up on the fourth of
July.
-------------------
I noticed another "eatery" advertisement in this weeks Weekly Source.
It says, "Stop in at Delicious Dishes" for Brunch & Lunch Saturday, June
24 from 9 am to 1:30 pm.
I'll be darned if I know what that's all about. I drove by the place
and it still looks like a beauty shop to me. Then again, maybe the
ladies are cooking hors d'oeu-vres with their curling irons when their
not using them for creating waves in long hair.
Before my hair turned caucasian, I could have checked it out while I
was getting it clipped.
---------------------
Reality finally set in yesterday as Dawn Castro, summer intern for the
Walsh County Record, called for an interview for this weeks Record.
Shortly thereafter, Larry Biri stopped by the house to take our picture.
I guess it must be true. I still find it very hard to believe. And, I'm
told If they can find a car without a top, Pat and I will actually be
riding down the parade route in it.
Unfortunately, I've been lead to believe, that most of the convertibles
in the country have been commandeered by politicians.
One way or another, I encourage everyone that attends a small town
celebration this summer. Whether "ours" in Grafton, or "yours" anywhere
across this wonderful country. Stop for a second and thank the person
standing next to you for keeping the true seed of our future generations
alive. Then bow your head, for just a moment, while thanking God, and
the Military for the ability to be there.
-----------------
Home Town Hero,... WOW!!! My wife has encountered, battled and
conquered cancer, now that's a Hero. Both of my sons have helped folks
out of burning buildings, now that's a Hero. Our sons and daughters have
stood by their mother and me, when standing aside certainly would have
been easier, and that is Heroic. Our grandchildren rarely leave our side
without "checking in" on us. That's heroism above and beyond the call of
duty. Our friends are there, whenever their needed, sometimes just a
smile, and sometimes much much more. They most certainly are Hero's.
Our Firefighters, the Valley Ambulance and rescue squad, our local law
enforcement officers and their staff, our local professional medical
staff, those helping our sick and aged, especially those tending our
mentally challenged, are truely Hero's.
To even be considered, among them, is more than one might dream. As our
ride through town progresses in this years Summerfest parade. First by
Hugo's home, then past Russell Lykken's place next is Bill Meiers store,
then past Bill LaPlante, Carl Torkelson, Ralph Honsval, Lyman Bjerken, &
Chuck Thomson. Then on past Elmer Berg, Fred Sevigny, Lester Meilke &
Harold Sem. I'll think of Vic Mihulka & Bill Johnston and remember Sam
Nelson and Jack Kerner standing on the corner looking down the street.
Walt and Nora will be watching as I'm reminded of Al Zinke and Ozzie
Campbell. Paul Pastirs memory lingers as does the Henricksens in the
Strand Theater. I'll think of Marvin Pederson, Dave Klava and Hans
Torkelson too, as the image of Butch Gillespie runs across the street to
Gambles lunch counter in his white tee-shirt. I'll hear Clarence Eggen
wish folks happy birthday and see Harris Halliday standing there while
across the street Luther Williamson and Imogene Kulas wave as we pass
by. Then Doc & Ann Blanchard, Homer Nelson and Jim Kearney will be
there, while the Harold's,.. Campbell and Kamrowski both shout "hi" as I
go by. Jay Claseman might take our picture as Oscar Sorenson hollers
hello and Mr. and Mrs King are standing outside to see the show. I'll
see Bob Hart, Fred Bohn and Bruce Williamson and Iner Stenso in that
same block. Paul Flem might still be standing in his Mobile station or
maybe Fabian Sevigny, I'll just have to wait and see.
Parade routes are amazing things, for all their memories. Whats even
more amazing yet, are the folks I can't forget. All very special people,
each in there very own way, and every one will be Hero's in my mind, on
that very special day.
I am a really lucky person that is for sure. With a past so rich and
full. To have shared this world with the jewels of the earth. For that,
I am most thankfull and appreciative. Gary
-----------------------
This weeks firefighters calendar draw winners are:
6/19/06 Victor Peterson $20
6/20/06 Rick Sunstrom $20
6/21/06 Kari Mayer $20
6/22/06 Robert DeSautel $20
6/23/06 Stacey Nelson $20
6/24/06 Lutheran Sunset Home from Ron LaMont * $20
6/25/06 Joey Watkins $20
==================================
GOTTA GO WORK ON MY DASH
==================================


Write if you can, call if you can't, and, tell your loved ones they are,
before it's too late.

No comments: